The Student Room Group

It costs more to eat healthily than it does to eat ****

What a bizarre system we have going on here. The government and its medico-experts are determined that we are to eat healthily and lose weight.

But we're in the situation where healthy foods seem to cost a lot more than **** foods.

For those of us who don't have the benefit of a middle-class farmer's market, a tiny pack of raspberries costs £2 from Tescos; grapes £2 again; strawberries even more. Packets of green veg costs a fortune: £2 for a few green beans.

Yet, the **** junk food is either always on offer or dirt cheap.

How can the government expect us to eat healthily when healthy food is way overpriced?

Scroll to see replies

Then just eat less, duh
No it doesn't :rolleyes:

If I eat junk food instead of cooking properly I spend a lot more money.

Cooking properly takes more time and effort, I'm willing to bet that is the main reason a lot of people don't do it. Laziness. Although it takes more time, it doesn't have to take that long, so it's not much of an excuse.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was thinking the same thing today! It's SO hard!! There are ways to go around it though. Soup is relatively cheap and so are sandwiches/riveta. And berries are always going to be expensive, apples bananas and oranges are much cheaper alternatives
Yeh, this is a well known fact in educated circles.
Original post by Lady Comstock

For those of us who don't have the benefit of a middle-class farmer's market, a tiny pack of raspberries costs £2 from Tescos; grapes £2 again; strawberries even more. Packets of green veg costs a fortune: £2 for a few green beans.

Should hit up aldi or some small fruit shop
Reply 6
Original post by shawn_o1
Then just eat less, duh

hi from the arsenal thread.

your posts outside the ff kill it man :rofl:
Not really if you eat fruit and vegetables in season and go to markets. Frozen vegetables are comparatively cheaper than their fresh counterparts too (2kg for £2 in Sainsbury's).

As a poster above said, you just have to take the time to prepare meals from scratch and buy loose instead of ready prepared vegetables.
Original post by SophieSmall
No it doesn't :rolleyes:

If I eat junk food instead of cooking properly I spend a lot more money.

Cooking properly takes more time and effort, I'm willing to bet that is the main reason a lot of people don't do it. Laziness. Although it takes more time, it doesn't have to take that long, so it's not much of an excuse.

smh.

Chicken fillet and decent veg = close to £10. Pot noodle = £1, maccies = £1.50-4, etc.
smh.

Chicken fillet and decent veg = close to £10. Pot noodle = £1, maccies = £1.50-4, etc.

Just no.

You clearly don't know how to cook within your means if you think it costs that much for a meal.
Just no.

You clearly don't know how to cook within your means if you think it costs that much for a meal.

Erm, so you can cook meat and veg for cheaper than you can buy a pot noodle? Dazzle us, hunny.
Reply 11
I get 30 organic eggs, two full chickens, a weeks worth of vegetables, fruit (grapes, oranges, bananas), nuts, brown rice and porridge for £17 so that isn't correct. People spend near enough that on a few McDonalds every week.

Go to the markets and butchers instead of getting ripped off with the big four.
Erm, so you can cook meat and veg for cheaper than you can buy a pot noodle? Dazzle us, hunny.

You're being quite frankly ridiculous. A pot noodle is good for what? A snack maybe a meal at a push.

If I buy meat and vegetables and other such ingredients then those ingredients go into all or at least most of the meals for that week, not just one. :rolleyes:
I find fruit and vegetables cheap to buy but they usually go off before I can eat them, so it can work out more expensive than junk food because I have to buy them more often. I buy frozen when I can but you can't get things like lettuce and cucumber frozen. and there's far too much in a packet for just one person (even if you only get a half cucumber).
smh.

Not really, let's say you want to cook something with courgettes, eggplants, chicken and pasta. This may cost about 7 pounds (1, 1, 4, 1, respectively), however you'll definitely have a lot left for another meal. Plus one pot noodle is nowhere near as filling as a homemade pasta dish, you'll eat so much more for less.
I can buy a ready meal mac + cheese for 70p. If someone can tell me how to cook a meal for anywhere near this price (without telling me to go to a farmer's market/budget supermarket, there are none in my area) then please teach me.
Wholesome natural foods which are cheap: rice, beans, potatoes, bags of frozen vegetables, oats. Fruit is midrange but could be cheaper. These were some of my staples in uni.
Original post by Another
I can buy a ready meal mac + cheese for 70p. If someone can tell me how to cook a meal for anywhere near this price (without telling me to go to a farmer's market/budget supermarket, there are none in my area) then please teach me.

Well mac and cheese is just pasta in a bechamel sauce. So you can buy a bag of pasta for like 40p and you can buy jars of bechamel sauce for less than £1. And from that you can get 2 or 3 servings. So works out less than 70p a serving.

Not exactly a great meal to be having often though
(edited 9 years ago)
For those of us who don't have the benefit of a middle-class farmer's market

Can confirm, 100% of local markets don't let you in without a middle-class person card.
Well mac and cheese is just pasta in a bechamel sauce. So you can buy bags of pasta for like 40p and you can buy jars of bechamel sauce for less than £1. And from that you can get 2 or 3 servings. So works out less than 70p a serving.

Not exactly a great meal to be having often though

Lol that's not a healthy meal.

Quick Reply

Latest