The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elcor
I hope the data comes back on today

Original post by tomfailinghelp
Maybe this is a bit desperate, but you didn't happen to see the Christ's Philosophy data, did you?

2015 Offer data is back!

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

And, re Philosophy @ Christ's, 10 applicants, 3 offers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Maths offers down slightly this year. Fitzwilliam offers up. They will be strict on step for my college im guessing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
According to the offer statistics, there are two offer holders for AMES at Queens'. One of those is me, does anyone know who the other one is?
Original post by physicsmaths
Maths offers down slightly this year. Fitzwilliam offers up. They will be strict on step for my college im guessing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you applied directly to Fitzwilliam?

I am trying to figure out how the pool system works :confused:
Original post by Melanie Leconte

Yh i did. There were 13 straight offers out of 38 applicants. And 5 offers from the pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh i did. There were 13 straight offers out of 38 applicants. And 5 offers from the pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have to check how Trinity works

What would you like to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
What would you like to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a couple of pools. I don't understand how it really works.
Trinity, I was told to be careful by applying to it because of the big pool :confused:
There are a couple of pools. I don't understand how it really works.
Trinity, I was told to be careful by applying to it because of the big pool :confused:

Yes there are two pools.

The main one is the Winter Pool. This sits during January after the December round of interviews. In 2014, 887 offers came via the winter pool.

More info here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/publications/guide-winter-pool

There is also a much smaller Summer Pool which sits during August after A-Level results are announced. This is only for Offer holders who may have missed their offer but other colleges feel are strong enough to be accepted. In 2014, 52 offer holders were accepted via the summer pool.

Regarding the Winter Pool, if you apply direct to Trinity (or any college for that matter) then a number of things can happen - basically:
1) Trinity can reject you outright prior to interview.
If not, Trinity interview you (most people get an interview) and then:
2) Trinity reject you after interview
3) Trinity compare you to the winter pool and decide to offer you a place anyway
4) Trinity release you into the winter pool
5) Another college fishes you from the pool and decides to offer you a place
6) Another college fishes you from the pool and calls you back for another interview, they may then offer you a place
7) Another college fishes you from the pool and calls you back for another interview, but rejects you
8) Nobody fishes you from the pool and you receive a formal rejection from Trinity (the original college).

If you want to go to Trinity then apply there. The Pool acts as a safety net in case Trinity (or any college) hasn't enough places for good candidates than otherwise should get a Cambridge place.

(There are other scenarios but the above are the most common.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Yes there are two pools.

The main one is the Winter Pool. This sits during January after the December round of interviews. In 2014, 887 offers came via the winter pool.

More info here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/publications/guide-winter-pool

There is also a much smaller Summer Pool. This is only for Offer holders who may have missed their offerbut other college's feel are strong enough to be accepted. In 2014, 52 offer holders were accepted via the summer pool.

If you apply direct to Trinity (or any college for that matter) then a number of things can happen - basically:
1) Trinity can reject you outright prior to interview.
If not, Trinity interview you (most people get an interview) and then:
2) Trinity reject you after interview
3) Trinity compare you to the pool and decide to offer you a place anyway
4) Trinity release you into the pool
5) Another college fishes you from the pool and decides to offer you a place
6) Another college fishes you from the pool and calls you back for another interview, they may then offer you a place
7) Another college fishes you from the pool and calls you back for another interview, but rejects you
8) Nobody fishes you from the pool and you receive a formal rejection from Trinity (the original college).

If you want to go to Trinity then apply there. The Pool acts as a safety net in case Trinity (or any college) hasn't enough places for good candidates than otherwise should get a Cambridge place.

Thank very much, much appreciated :smile:

Once a person meets the offer, could he/she get pooled? ie if I get an offer from Trinity and I meet it could they still put me in the pool because too many have met their offers on that year
Thank very much, much appreciated :smile:

Once a person meets the offer, could he/she get pooled? ie if I get an offer from Trinity and I meet it could they still put me in the pool because too many have met their offers on that year

No. If you meet your offer you're in. :smile:
Original post by jneill
No. If you meet your offer you're in. :smile:

Ok
I just have to be made an offer and meet it :afraid:
Ok
I just have to be made an offer and meet it :afraid:

60% of trinity maths applicants were made an offer. Its probably harder to get an offer from them, but with the mind of applying to them and getting an offer from cambridge...you probably have the same, if not better, chances than most other colleges
Original post by newblood
60% of trinity maths applicants were made an offer. Its probably harder to get an offer from them, but with the mind of applying to them and getting an offer from cambridge...you probably have the same, if not better, chances than most other colleges

Thank you for your encouragement :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

My tutor has tried to put me off the idea and push towards Oxford but I've learnt from your experience :biggrin: Thank you
My tutor has tried to put me off the idea and push towards Oxford but I've learnt from your experience :biggrin: Thank you

Never Oxford just never

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never Oxford just never

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you had a bad experience ? :biggrin:
Have you had a bad experience ? :biggrin:

I think he means why would you set your standards so low :colone:
Never Oxford just never

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite a few sidney math applicants got offers from other colleges, looks like im going to have a pretty strong year to contend with haha
I think he means why would you set your standards so low :colone:

Precisely.
Cambridge all the way. All Cambridge offer holders must despise oxford. It is a rule that comes on the offer letter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending