The Student Room Group

Labour cannot do any sort of deal or coalition with the SNP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingStannis
Why should he go into a coalition with a party that wants to break up the country and drive him to the loony left and damage the recovery? He won't do a deal because then labour will remain the sole Party in Scotland which can stop the Tories getting in. Believe it or not that is a highly valuable political weapon which he'd give up forever by letting the Scots vote against labour and still get a Labour government.

This was the case 5 years ago, but much has changed in that time and people in Scotland have become far less confident in Labour as a party and feel SNP is more likely to act in the best interests of Scotland. We know now that we can all vote Labour and still get a Tory government, so whats the point in voting Labour then? It doesn't feel like that argument particularly matters any more. 45% voted yes in the ref plus the high percentage that sat on the fence during the referendum wanted to see the pre-referendum promises carried out after the no vote and feel they have been betrayed, so thats a large percentage of unhappy people in Scotland.

This is just how I am seeing it in friends and family. I know I would of voted Labour 5 years ago had I been a few months older, but this time round its not that clear cut.
It would be a short term loss, but letting the SNP get into power would be a long term loss for Labour. Labour does not want the country broken up; letting the SNP in will help that happen. Labour want to be the dominant Party in Scotland; letting the SNP in with Labour will mean Scotland will vote SNP forever. A Labour-SNP coalition would mean that the good would be attributed to the SNP, and the bad to the nasty, "Westminster establishment" labour. Losing one election is actually better for labour when you take those alternatives onto account.

Also, Labour could do really well in England, get like 10 seats in Scotland (hopefully Ed's threat rings true in Scots ears) and if the Liberals do well and get about 30 seats then we could be in business.

You've already lost this battle. You have no choice but to make the deal. If you don't its bad for everyone.
Original post by ibzombie96
If, by 'we', you mean Labour, then yes, you do need a deal with the SNP. And you seem to think that the SNP don't want a deal with Labour - they do, it's Miliband that has ruled it out.

No. We don't.
We'll say to the SNP, ' go on, vote us down, side with the tories'.
Since Sturgeon triumphantly announced she will 'never put the tories into power' there's not a chance they will.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Miliband outright said it last night, no ifs and buts.

If he goes against it he will never live it down. So he will be forced to stick to his promise.

So why are people worrying about it? It can't happen now.

who cares what he says pre-election, he is saying anything to desperatley get enough votes to see him PM. the only way labour can get a workable majority in coalition is now with snp, we all know this, and he does too. SNP will get majority vote in scotland and the mood their is for independance, if it comes to the fact that labour have enough votes to be close with tories, they will take the ONLY opportunity open to them- to form a goverment with SNP. This will of course mean taht there will be another socttish independance referendum prob the next year

the only way to avoid this and avoid millibands schemes to be pm, is to vote conservative
Original post by TheRabbit
This was the case 5 years ago, but much has changed in that time and people in Scotland have become far less confident in Labour as a party and feel SNP is more likely to act in the best interests of Scotland. We know now that we can all vote Labour and still get a Tory government, so whats the point in voting Labour then? It doesn't feel like that argument particularly matters any more. 45% voted yes in the ref plus the high percentage that sat on the fence during the referendum wanted to see the pre-referendum promises carried out after the no vote and feel they have been betrayed, so thats a large percentage of unhappy people in Scotland.

This is just how I am seeing it in friends and family. I know I would of voted Labour 5 years ago had I been a few months older, but this time round its not that clear cut.

If you all vote SNP, you will get the Tories. If so, then I'm fairly certain you'll vote red next time around.

If he goes against it he will never live it down. So he will be forced to stick to his promise.

yes

he's lying

like clegg on tuition fees
No, it means you're voting for a party who is a political rival to Labour and as such will not help you get a labour government.

If the option was still on the table. I would of like to have seen a confidence and supply agreement between Labour and the SNP. To make the Labour Party more progressive as there is hardly any difference between New Labour and the Tories.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/uk2015

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by n1204402h
You've already lost this battle. You have no choice but to make the deal. If you don't its bad for everyone.

It would be bad for the SNP, bad in the short term for labour, but better for everybody else in the UK. I'm a labour man but I'd rather have hard nosed Tories than SNP lunatics making economic policy.
Original post by SausageMan
If the option was still on the table. I would of like to have seen a confidence and supply agreement between Labour and the SNP. To make the Labour Party more progressive as there is hardly any difference between New Labour and the Tories.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/uk2015

You do realise some guys just gone and made that don't you? It doesn't at all reflect reality. And i don't like the compass anyway; because i do link left and right wing to social policy, and I don't see how it can take into account something like the Third Way.
If you all vote SNP, you will get the Tories. If so, then I'm fairly certain you'll vote red next time around.

Which polling companies are you looking at? As current polling suggests otherwise. http://www.electionforecast.co.uk

It would be due to Labours negligence of not doing a deal with the SNP, that could lead to a Tory minority government this time round.

When Ed Miliband said last night he would rather see David Cameron back in power than make any kind of post election deal with the SNP. Not only has he just told the voters of Scotland that he prefers Tory government for the whole island to a civilised conversation with the people more than half of them (according to the polls) are going to vote for, he has just insulted the intelligence of voters everywhere in the UK with a quite unnecessary concession to the baying nut jobs of the Tory Press.

Here’s one possible scenario. The Tories are the biggest party next Friday. They try to form a government in cooperation with the Liberals and the DUP. They get as far as a Queen’s speech. If the SNP and Labour combined vote against that Queen’s speech, they can bring the Tories down before they get going.

The logic of what Ed just said, which every single Tory MP and mouthpiece in the media will hold him to, is that he abstain. Because to form his own minority government, he will need the support of the SNP whether he pretends they don’t exist and he can’t see or hear them or not.

He has just crippled his own minority government in an act of craven stupidity, a last ditch attempt to put the Scottish horse back in the stable from which it has clearly bolted, and a pointless bit of pandering to the Tory consensus which will despise him all the more for it. Once again, with the SNP, Labour have decided the best thing to do is shut their eyes and wish they’d go away.
(edited 8 years ago)
You do realise some guys just gone and made that don't you? It doesn't at all reflect reality. And i don't like the compass anyway; because i do link left and right wing to social policy, and I don't see how it can take into account something like the Third Way.

Well obviously, some one has to develop it.

Just as some one had to develop the Internet, in order for us to have a conversation through an digital platform.

and if you vote labour or snp, then you will get the snp in uk government, and then a referendum which will most likely produce a split up of uk vote
If Labour decide not to go through with a deal and we get another Tory government, then that won't make people "vote red" the next time. All it will do is increase the support for independence. Regardless of whether Sturgeon did actually say she wanted a tory government or not, there is no arguing that it could be very useful in increasing their support.

Yes he can, simple.

They vote down any conservative queen speech, and the SNP, Plaid and Greens vote for a labour queen speech. Labour forms a minority government, whereby the SNP vote for all the policies they have common ground on such as tuition fee's, minimum wage etc. You can find them here:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/01/ten-bills-labour-government-election-queens-speech-miliband

If the SNP vote against these, labour can claim the SNP does not have a progressive agenda and therefore, labour wins the Scottish elections.

:biggrin:
Original post by Chakede
and if you vote labour or snp, then you will get the snp in uk government, and then a referendum which will most likely produce a split up of uk vote

If the SNP win the Scottish elections they will have a majority to pass another Scottish Independence Referendum Bill and most importantly a mandate.
Original post by SausageMan
Well obviously, some one has to develop it.

Just as some one had to develop the Internet, in order for us to have a conversation through an digital platform.

So considering it's just one persons opinion why do you think it has merit?
So considering it's just one persons opinion why do you think it has merit?

How do you know that it's just one person running the site?

"The Politicalcompass.org website does not reveal the people behind it, beyond the fact that it seems to be based in the UK.[14][15] According to The New York Times, the site is the work of Wayne Brittenden, a political journalist.[2] According to Tom Utley, writing in The Daily Telegraph, the site is connected to One World Action, a charity founded by Glenys Kinnock, and to Kinnock herself.[16] An early version of the site was published on One World Action's web server.[17]"
Original post by TheRabbit

Perhaps if you werent a nation of layabouts you could handle a Tory Government?
Original post by jameswhughes
That's your choice then. If the people of Scotland vote for a marginal party which they know won't be included in the government of the UK, they can't complain about being left out when it's what they wanted.

I think you can no longer call the SNP a marginal party,they might have been up until 10 years ago but that is no longer the case. They are on course to win about 2/3 of all Scottish seats and well over 40% of popular vote in Scotland and i suspect the Tories/Labour would kill for that kind of support in England/Wales.

As for Ed Milliband or Alex Salmond/Nicola Sturgeon threatening the Union i think the real instigator is actually David Cameron.When himself and Alex Salmond signed that treaty back in 2012 Salmond wanted a third option on Ballot paper which was Devo Max and Cameron in his arrogance shot it down and said it is either NO/YES because at time he thought it was no contest.

What Cameron did that day led to a lot of Scottish people sitting down and actually having a good long hard think about things over next couple of years.A lot of them came to conclusion that things could not get be any worse than being controlled by a remote and Corrupt Govt in Westminster who seem only obsessed with events in London or further South and so decided to vote Yes.

Then of course when it got really close with only 2 weeks before the referendum we had Cameron,Clegg & Miliband running about up here like headless chickens or the three stooges. I remember David Cameron in particular pleading with the Scots to vote no and "please don't vote yes just because you want to give the Tories a kicking".This led to his and the other leaders pledge to give Scotland more powers really quickly which definitely helped the No vote in the end.

The trouble is with all the pretty horrendous things the political parties down South are saying about the SNP(and in particular the Tories) is going to re-open fresh wounds and stoke up both Scottish and English Nationalism and more likely to cause break up of Union in near future.
Original post by billydisco
Perhaps if you werent a nation of layabouts you could handle a Tory Government?

And perhaps if you had a shred of intelligence you would not post such a comment :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending