The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Just firmed SGUL over UEA and HYMS. I really don't know how I feel.
Original post by atlsme
Just firmed SGUL over UEA and HYMS. I really don't know how I feel.

Clearly you like SGUL more than UEA and HYMS otherwise you wouldn't have firmed it?
Original post by Nucleotide
Clearly you like SGUL more than UEA and HYMS otherwise you wouldn't have firmed it?

Thing is do I like SGUL and UEA over HYMS but I was really torn between the two. I dont quite like the fact that SGUL has a low reputation but I think I might enjoy it there. It also might be a better choice if I plan to apply to america. UEA has a better reputation and is a proper uni but doesn't really have anything special about it.
Original post by lazymedic
I see some of you guys aren't as eager about Georges as others, feeling like it's a crap medical school rotting away at the bottom of the league tables. I'm a first year medic at Georges and I understand where you're coming from, it's not as prestigious as other medical schools and a lot of people haven't even heard of it (I didn't even know it existed until year 12 :') ). But the thing is, having nearly completed my first year, I can honestly say Georges is not as bad as it's made out to be. I have friends in loads of other med schools (Kings, UCL, Cambridge, Oxford) and when I hear about their experiences I just realise how much I love Georges. Yeah it might not have the reputation that these other unis have but it has soo many other things going for it. Sometimes I think it's quite unfair that it's portrayed the way it is.

Obviously Georges will not be everyone's cup of tea but if you're anything like me you'll love it. It's quite chilled compared to other medical schools, imagine having to write a couple of essays every week at Oxbridge... I would actually die. The first semester is formative (doesn't count) which allows you to get into the swing of things without it affecting your degree. Georges puts huge emphasis on practical and communication skills which are arguably some of the most important qualities needed as a doctor.

Also the clinical exposure you'll get is really good, I have friends at Kings who had a really short amount of placement time something like a few hours or one day in year one. At Georges you get a week in year one and 2 weeks in year 2 where you rotate between Surgery, Medicine and Geriatrics/Radiology. And you get to do so many things, like take patients blood pressure, temperature, feed patients, blood glucose, urinalysis, swabs, go into surgery and more excitingly you may even get to don some scrubs. Imagine doing all of that when you've only been in med school for 7 months. Also the fact that all the lectures are recorded and put online is so helpful if you happen to not pay attention in the lectures :colondollar: At Oxford they don't record the lectures, my friend said he has to record it himself and I'm not even sure if they're allowed to.

They are a bunch of other things that are really great about Georges and of course they are things that are quite crap but I'm sure that's the same with any other uni.

I'd say if you're not too keen on Georges but it's your only offer, DO NOT FRET, it's honestly not as bad as it seems!! Plus you've gotten into Medicine, that's the important thing. For those who despise Georges and want to take it out on this thread, you are entitled to express your opinion but keep in mind there are people on this thread who are really excited to have gotten in so please try not to rain on their parade.

I've heard loads of good things about St. George's and am really happy to have got an offer. Obviously every uni will have its pros and cons but I was just wondering what were the things that you think "are quite crap" about it?
Original post by Athena97
I've heard loads of good things about St. George's and am really happy to have got an offer. Obviously every uni will have its pros and cons but I was just wondering what were the things that you think "are quite crap" about it?

Well done on the offer!!

Well I'm not a big fan of the location, Tooting isn't exactly amazing :colondollar: it does not feel university-like at all. I'm a big fan of campus type universities, I feel like it would just make me feel more like a student (stupid reason I know :colondollar:). Also I wouldn't mind if Georges was a closer to where I live... long commutes=not fun

Also I'm not sure how organised this years application process was but last year it was somewhat confusing and disorganised for some people. I think they may have even sent out international offer emails by accident :K:. I remember someone saying that it's a running theme, and the admin doesn't get better throughout the course which I'm kinda seeing is true.
For example the organisation of clinical placements for first years has been crappy, important information was given out quite late, like what hospitals students were placed in and loads of people were just confused as to what they were doing because timetables weren't provided. But that may have nothing to do with Georges since that was probably the responsibility of the hospitals.

Oh how could I forget: MOODLE
This word probably doesn't fill you with dread yet but that's something you can look forward to
Moodle is basically the website Georges uses for students. It's where the lectures notes and recordings are put up and other information about the course. It is notoriously crap, difficult to navigate and is known to just break down randomly throughout the year, conveniently at times when I actually wanted to work (which is rare).

Other than those things I can't think of much else that I truly despise about Georges.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well done on the offer!!

Well I'm not a big fan of the location, Tooting isn't exactly amazing :colondollar: it does not feel university-like at all. I'm a big fan of campus type universities, I feel like it would just make me feel more like a student (stupid reason I know :colondollar:). Also I wouldn't mind if Georges was a closer to where I live... long commutes=not fun

Also I'm not sure how organised this years application process was but last year it was somewhat confusing and disorganised for some people. I think they may have even sent out international offer emails by accident :K:. I remember someone saying that it's a running theme, and the admin doesn't get better throughout the course which I'm kinda seeing is true.
For example the organisation of clinical placements for first years has been crappy, important information was given out quite late, like what hospitals students were placed in and loads of people were just confused as to what they were doing because timetables weren't provided. But that may have nothing to do with Georges since that was probably the responsibility of the hospitals.

Oh how could I forget: MOODLE
This word probably doesn't fill you with dread yet but that's something you can look forward to
Moodle is basically the website Georges uses for students. It's where the lectures notes and recordings are put up and other information about the course. It is notoriously crap, difficult to navigate and is known to just break down randomly throughout the year, conveniently at times when I actually wanted to work (which is rare).

Other than those things I can't think of much else that I truly despise about Georges.

How come it doesnt feel like a uni? Is the student night life not great?
Original post by atlsme

Student life is great I hear! Don't diss Georges because it's a small uni there's always something going on organised by the SU. Several students have said student life is really good here so that's nothing to worry about

I think lazy medic means that Georges isn't a traditional campus type of uni.
Original post by atlsme

I meant in terms of the area, like Tooting is basically a residential area, so if you step outside the university you'll be flanked by rows and rows of terraced housing. Whereas a campus university has the whole site dedicated to the university facilities.

In terms of student night life, I would have no idea :colondollar:, but from what I hear it's quite good.
I meant in terms of the area, like Tooting is basically a residential area, so if you step outside the university you'll be flanked by rows and rows of terraced housing. Whereas a campus university has the whole site dedicated to the university facilities.

In terms of student night life, I would have no idea :colondollar:, but from what I hear it's quite good.

Oh I thought you went there?
Student life is great I hear! Don't diss Georges because it's a small uni there's always something going on organised by the SU. Several students have said student life is really good here so that's nothing to worry about

I think lazy medic means that Georges isn't a traditional campus type of uni.

Yeah I'm not dissing. AAA and I'll be going there anyway. Looking forward to that :smile:. If i get it.
Original post by atlsme
Oh I thought you went there?

Lool I do :') I just don't partake in the night life
Lool I do :') I just don't partake in the night life

Lool fair enough. :smile: Just one more question if you dont mind. Do many people move abroad to america from there?
Original post by atlsme
Lool fair enough. :smile: Just one more question if you dont mind. Do many people move abroad to america from there?

On Linkedin there was someone who did their undergrad at MIT, came to Georges to get the medical degree, smashed their USMLE and got residency in Harvard.

Mate as long as you smash your US medical licensing exams no one will care what uni you went to the UK. No one can argue with raw data
Original post by atlsme

I'm not quite sure what you mean, from Tooting? Or from Georges?
I honestly don't know, sorry!! :colondollar:
I'm not quite sure what you mean, from Tooting? Or from Georges?
I honestly don't know, sorry!! :colondollar:

Sorry! I meant SGUL after completing medicine.
On Linkedin there was someone who did their undergrad at MIT, came to Georges to get the medical degree, smashed their USMLE and got residency in Harvard.

Mate as long as you smash your US medical licensing exams no one will care what uni you went to the UK. No one can argue with raw data

That's the confidence i need. Thanks mate :wink:
When is everyone applying for student finance?
i want to do medicine. im predicted 4 A's.but realistically im expecting AABB at the end of this year. (in chem,bio,sociology and citizenship)
I have work experinec in a nursery, a primary school a pharmacy, an opticians and a year at a GP surgery.

in my GCSE's i got 6A's an A* and 3 B's.

do i have any chance/ how likely am i of getting an offer for medicine at Keele, Duram or St Georges Uni london.
Original post by aysha_h
i want to do medicine. im predicted 4 A's.but realistically im expecting AABB at the end of this year. (in chem,bio,sociology and citizenship)
I have work experinec in a nursery, a primary school a pharmacy, an opticians and a year at a GP surgery.

do i have any chance/ how likely am i of getting an offer for medicine at Keele, Duram or St Georges Uni london.

Can you clarify which year you are in?
Reply 2439
Original post by aysha_h

I got AABB last year, I currently have an offer from St Georges from the waiting list and had an Interview at Newcastle (very similar to Durham in terms of standards) so my advice is go for it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending