The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

What happens if I fail my module?

I'm studying A224 - Inside Music, which is a level 2 module. I have always achieved good scores, but recently I've hit some personal trouble. My partner and I, who both work for the same company, have lost our jobs as our employer has gone into administration. As a result, we've had to move in with family.

The stress and time involved in moving and searching for work has meant I haven't had much time left to study and I've missed several chapters. My scores have dropped off as a result: 90, 92, 68, 58, 58, 41... I just scraped a pass on the last one. Here's my problem: I have two assignments left. I imagine I can just scrape a pass for the next one, but the final one is my end of module assessment, and it looks tough. I'm not sure I can pass it! Even with a resit, I think I've missed too much studying.

What happens if I fail? Is that it - degree over? I've read that sometimes, if you've achieved good scores overall, they'll let you pass. If I fail the module, could I take another? Or would I lose all credits?
Original post by RedCat88
I'm studying A224 - Inside Music, which is a level 2 module. I have always achieved good scores, but recently I've hit some personal trouble. My partner and I, who both work for the same company, have lost our jobs as our employer has gone into administration. As a result, we've had to move in with family.

The stress and time involved in moving and searching for work has meant I haven't had much time left to study and I've missed several chapters. My scores have dropped off as a result: 90, 92, 68, 58, 58, 41... I just scraped a pass on the last one. Here's my problem: I have two assignments left. I imagine I can just scrape a pass for the next one, but the final one is my end of module assessment, and it looks tough. I'm not sure I can pass it!
Even with a resit, I think I've missed too much studying.

What happens if I fail? Is that it - degree over? I've read that sometimes, if you've achieved good scores overall, they'll let you pass. If I fail the module, could I take another? Or would I lose all credits?

Panic not. Doesn't sound like you have failed if you are reaching the threshold of 40% and the high scores may make up for the lower ones to a certain extent in the TMAs. So if OCAS (TMAs) overall threshold is reached but you do badly on the EMA you should be able to resubmit. Or you may be able to defer the module and continue it on another presentation (with or without banking your already gained scores).

However these:

http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/help/resitting-exams-and-resubmitting-emas and http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/help/what-if-i-cant-attend-my-exam-or-submit-my-ema might be useful for you to read.

If there is no resit opportunity (but usually there is) you can, I believe, take the module again but you have to pay for it.

If in doubt though after reading above I would contact your SST as they will be fully versed on your modules assessment requirements (I haven't done those modules and the module descriptions are not the most detailed these days) and will be in a better position to advise.

One bad module or resit does not mean a failed degree. You might have to come up with a slightly different plan or module pathway to replace that module if needs be but that all depends on qualification (I had a unusually bad result in one and replaced it with another from the allowed list for my qual) . Best asking your SST. But you don't appear to be in a really dire position overall.

Chin up!
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest