The Student Room Group

Advice for travelling in Europe in September

Hey there!
Ive been planning to travel around eastern Europe in August.
Unfortunately I realised today that I actually may have retakes for exams in August after my first year at univeristy, and I don't want to plan anything just to find out I have to be back in the UK to retake. (Not that I plan on failing of course! But better to be safe than sorry)
So I have changed plans and decided to go from late August to late September. This is my first time travelling and I'll be on my own.
Well to get to the main point of this post, I want to stay through hostels along the way and was hoping to meet people there to hang out with or travel a bit with.
I am getting concerned that during September there will be hardly anyone else about, as I know the peak time is August.
I don't want to be bored or have it ruin my travel.
Has anyone else travelled in September? And was there enough people around to actually have a good time?
Many thanks!
Matt
Hi Matt!

I have travelled extensively, particularly in Europe. First of the belt, the time you want to travel in Europe is the best time to travel! August/September in Europe is perfect. There is also a massive difference between 'people around to have a good time' and what can be the storm of tourists in Europe in July. You'll find that there are always people about to travel with.

Where are you wanting to go?

I hope this helps!

Matthew
Original post by Matt5147
Hey there!
Ive been planning to travel around eastern Europe in August.
Unfortunately I realised today that I actually may have retakes for exams in August after my first year at univeristy, and I don't want to plan anything just to find out I have to be back in the UK to retake. (Not that I plan on failing of course! But better to be safe than sorry)
So I have changed plans and decided to go from late August to late September. This is my first time travelling and I'll be on my own.
Well to get to the main point of this post, I want to stay through hostels along the way and was hoping to meet people there to hang out with or travel a bit with.
I am getting concerned that during September there will be hardly anyone else about, as I know the peak time is August.
I don't want to be bored or have it ruin my travel.
Has anyone else travelled in September? And was there enough people around to actually have a good time?
Many thanks!
Matt

I don't know much about hostels and stuff, but if you're worried about meeting people, you could look at this website called couch surfing. There you can find local people to stay a few nights with and then it's much easier to be social because they're likely to invite you to meet their friends etc. It does mean going to stay at a random person's house though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Oh cool thanks I'll look into that sounds like a great way to meet people!

Quick Reply

Latest