The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A few threads asking Muslims to reveal their sins. Strange obsession.

Abu Hurayrah said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “All of my ummah will be forgiven except those who sin openly. It is a part of sinning openly when a man does something at night, then the following morning when Allaah has concealed his sin, he says, ‘O So and so, I did such and such last night,’ when all night his Lord has concealed him and the next morning he uncovers what Allaah had concealed.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5721; Muslim, 2990).

This hadith is a good reminder. If you do haram, then keep it to yourself, no need to state your doings on public threads etc... I was quite ignorant of this until someone told me :redface:
Original post by IdeasForLife
Lol the moment when a guy who can't read/speak arabic says the Qur'an is vague in arabic. Sounds legit.

Indeed brother. I've heard people who do not talk fusah arabic state the Quran has 'bad poetry', a claim even some militant anti-islamic websites admit is not true, even they give the Quranic Arabic its dues, though not adequately but some sort of admission is there.

Duas for your exams :smile: I don't ask people how it went, etc, i like to move on to the next exam and then relaxing till results day.
Original post by ash92:)
x

Peace be with you

I recommend this link: http://www.central-mosque.com/index.php/Beliefs/is-allah-everywhere-or-is-he-on-his-throne.html

The scholar in the link affirms Allah swt is outside of time, and space, and is unlike anything else. However, in order to affirm that we need to rule out that Allah swt is literally above the throne. The respected scholar gives three positions he considers valid. Option B, is contradictory. If you affirm Allah swt is without direction, outside of time, space, - which we all should affirm, we can not in the same breath say he is literally above the heavens but we must not ask how. Those two statements are contradictory. It's like a Labour Candidate saying they argue for the poor an middle class, but they also want big tax breaks on the millionares and cut benefits on those that are disable and nee it, but we must not ask how, if you follow me dear brother? Additionally, affirming the meaning without ruling out the literal meaning is also dangerous in my view. It's another clash of ones fitrah an with the utmost respect, hadiths i do not affirm came from rasullulah, and trying to marry the two.

Option A. Consigning their meanings and details completely to the knowledge of Allah. This position, known as tafwid, was chosen by the majority of early scholars (salaf), and by far the best and safest approach.
b

Option B. Affirming their literal meanings (tathbit) with emphatic rejection of a similitude between Allah and His creation and then consigning the modality (kayfiyya) of such texts to the knowledge of Allah. This position, chosen by scholars such as Imam Ibn Taymiya, can be risky for an average believer.
C

Option C Interpreting such texts figuratively in a manner that befits Allah. This is known as ta'wil, and was chosen by some later scholars.

http://www.central-mosque.com/index.php/Beliefs/is-allah-everywhere-or-is-he-on-his-throne.html

You see, i believe we humans all inside us know tawheed. It's part of our fitrah, we know Allah swt is so transcendent- or using our aql can reason it. But then there's the problem of hadiths, which in my view, had caused even the likes of extremely intelligent scholars such as Ibn Taymiyyah to digress.

I guess i've cleared up my own views as a reply to your question, inshAllah i'll make another thread in the future and present the more nuanced views in the ahlul-sunnah.

Let me brother, though you may dislike it, commend you on your manner inwhich you handled this discussion with me. You have been soft of speech, clear in argument, and have not favored or discriminated me at all, when perhaps another moderator may have. I praise you to encourage such behaviour from myself and from all of us, for the sake of Allah swt. You may vehemently disagree with my views an refute me, but i am just so happy we had a brief, cordial exchange of ideas. No name-calling, takfir etc
(edited 8 years ago)
x

Peace be with you,

I had read the link, and as well as that have watched hours worth of video's expressing different view points of the ahlul-sunnah scholars.

I feel it is important for me to explain what i meant by moderate, and perhaps acknowledge it was a poor word of choice. There are groups, such as some Salafi's and many among the ahlul-sunnah sadly influence by these groups who take a very different view point to what you take. I would argue yourself, scholars, and the real ahlul-sunnah need to fight to preserve your true teachings.

Instead of moderate, let me instead say you are the real ahlul-sunnah, the balanced view among the ahlul-sunnah.

I won't debate or try to refute some of the other points you have raised, or argue as to why i am still pretty convince of my own view, but i will bring to your attention off-shoots of the ahlul-sunnah you may wish to bring to the attention of some of your scholars, in order to stop the ahlul-sunnah being infiltrated.

Here are a few places:

1. The IslamQA, website, i have heard is run by salafi-minded individuals.
Here: http://islamqa.info/en/992 they give evidence Allah swt is 'above the sky' or 'above the throne'. There's a subtle but important difference between you and them. You believe Allah swt existed before a where, and the question of 'where' does not apply to Allah swt. You affirm he is closer to us than our jugular vein, perhaps above creation is magnificence in a metaphorical and not literal sense. However, these scholars affirm while he is not in space, time, our dimensions, he is still above the heavens, not below the heavens and we must acknowledge he is definitely above the heavens, but we must not ask how. That itself is a dangerous ideology, i.e affirming Allah swt is definitely 'above' the heavens, and then after giving it this intepretation, withdrawing and stating 'but we must not ask how'. The correct thing to do is to affirm the question of 'where' does not apply to Allah swt, he existed before there was a where, an his 'highness' or being the most 'high' is not by virtue of him being above or below anything, it with regards to how incomparable he is , how elevated in power , how he is the lord and we are the slaves etc

In this connection, a hadith has been related by Malik in his Muwatta' and by Muslim in his Sahih, that Muawiya ibn al-Hakam came to the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) and told him, "I am very newly from the Jahiliyya, and now Allah has brought Islam," and he proceeded to ask about various Jahiliyya practices, until at last he said that he had slapped his slave girl, and asked if he should free her, as was obligatory if she was a believer. The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) requested that she be brought, and then asked her, "Where is Allah?" and she said, "In the sky (Fi al-sama)"; whereupon he asked her, "Who am I?" and she said, "You are the Messenger of Allah"; at which he said, Free her, "for she is a believer" (Sahih Muslim, 5 vols. Cairo 1376/1956. Reprint. Beirut: Dar al-Fikr, 1403/1983, 1.382: 538).

Shayk Hamzah Yusuf refuting the salafi ideology, talking about how he was surrounded in saudi-arabia
[video="youtube;Yq7NP1R1BZ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq7NP1R1BZ8[/video]

There was another amazing speaker from the ahlul-sunnah whom i watched his lecture and reflected on it. He said there is a group that affirms Allah swt has a direction, but we must not ask how he is 'above', we must only affirm it is not in space, time etc. This view he refuted because one can not say they only affirm what is in the Quran and Hadith after giving it a problematic interpretation.

Here is his talk, where he affirms Allah swt is not 'above' the throne or 'below' anywhere, nor is he everywhere, he is without direction or coordinates, whether one believes he is inside our outside of space.

Mufti Abdur Rahman ibn Yusuf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkQ-Lf2PJ4A
AsalaamAlaikum Wa rahmatullahi Wa Barakhatuh

Hope you're all doing well :h:

Anyone excited for Ramadhan?
Original post by IdeasForLife
Lol the moment when a guy who can't read/speak arabic says the Qur'an is vague in arabic. Sounds legit.

Standard TSR debate...

Original post by Tawheed

Peace be with you,

And peace upon you too.

Brother/sister, As I previously said, I would prefer that this discussion be discontinued for reasons aforementioned.

The link you posted includes the link I posted earlier :tongue:
I'm afraid I'm not gona go through the vids, unfortunately. I think the article I linked to is sufficient for me.

It is not for me to condemn or refute those who differ in 'aqeedah. Rather what concerns me is the 'aqeedah which I myself affirm. I have alluded to the precaution that is incumbent upon those discussing the subject.

Indeed, alhamdulillah, we engaged in brief discussion without any argument. As emphasised, I do not wish to go into much detail here. From Allah comes all success and capability to do good.
Original post by TrueMuslim
AsalaamAlaikum Wa rahmatullahi Wa Barakhatuh

Hope you're all doing well :h:

Anyone excited for Ramadhan?

whoop :biggrin:

May Allah ta'ala bless us with the capability to be steadfast in Ramadan and may He facilitate ease for us
whoop :biggrin:

May Allah ta'ala bless us with the capability to be steadfast in Ramadan and may He facilitate ease for us

Amiin.
Can't believe its already been a year!
Original post by Al-farhan
Amiin.
Can't believe its already been a year!

ikr bro, time is flying by.
Original post by Tawheed
Indeed brother. I've heard people who do not talk fusah arabic state the Quran has 'bad poetry', a claim even some militant anti-islamic websites admit is not true, even they give the Quranic Arabic its dues, though not adequately but some sort of admission is there.

Duas for your exams :smile: I don't ask people how it went, etc, i like to move on to the next exam and then relaxing till results day.

What's funny is the confidence with which some of these claims are made lol. It's like if I started banging on about linguistic marvels in the Qur'an even though I have no clue about linguistics.

And likewise to you. May Allah make you successful in them!
[video="youtube;66-RKWKI_yY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-RKWKI_yY[/video]
"Two days ago, I saw a quote on LinkedIn attributed to Dr. Abdulaziz Al Fowzan who is someone I know and respect. The quote said: when a woman is raped, it is her fault for walking alone when she should have stayed home! I know this can’t come from a highly decorated professor in Islamic sciences and a student of Sheikh Ibn Othaimeen. Such a statement can’t be said by a layman, let alone a scholar. So, I called him and told him about it. He was saddened and shocked of this lie and fabrication.

The sad thing was the comments that were written by some of the so called non-Muslim professionals! They started bad mouthing Islam and the Sheikh, expressing the great hatred they have without even verifying that he had said it! Allah has mentioned in the Quran that what their hearts conceal is far greater than what they announce! It is one of the basic facts in Islam that we must verify what we hear before reacting.

Allah says: O you who believe! If a rebellious evil person comes to you with a news, verify it, lest you harm people in ignorance, and afterwards you become regretful to what you have done. How would anyone of us feel if someone slandered him with similar lies?"

- Assim Al Hakeem
(edited 8 years ago)
Can you tell me your *three* favorite Surahs?

I really like Taha.
Original post by BrainJuice

I really like Taha.

Surah Mulk, surah Yasin and surah Kahf.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really like Taha.

Surah al-Faatiha
Surah al-Baqarah
Surah al-Fajr
Surah ad-Duhaa

Spoiler

I really like Taha.

Surah Fajr - Love listening to luhaidan reciting it :smile:
Surah A'la - First surah I memorised by just listening to.
Surah Mulk
Original post by littleangel9914
Well according to Sharia Law which Dr. Abdulaziz Al Fowzan accepts and supports a woman needs four male witnesses to prove it was rape. According to this you either go around with four males acting as witnesses or if you go out alone and are raped it's not only your fault in the eyes of Islam it doesn't even class as rape. By supporting sharia law he does in fact support the false quote.

No. Wrong.

Four witnesses(or a confession) needed for the rapist to get the hadd punishment. If the judge does not have this, but it is agreed upon that rape has occured, the judge gives a lesser punishment.

http://islamfaq-tsr.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/is-victim-of-rape-punished-according-to.html

Can give an article from islamqa if you want too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
Surah Fajr - Love listening to luhaidan reciting it :smile:
Surah A'la - First surah I memorised by just listening to.
Surah Mulk

I love Hani ar-Rifa'i's recitation of Surah al-Fajr :yep:

Original post by littleangel9914
Well according to Sharia Law which Dr. Abdulaziz Al Fowzan accepts and supports a woman needs four male witnesses to prove it was rape. According to this you either go around with four males acting as witnesses or if you go out alone and are raped it's not only your fault in the eyes of Islam it doesn't even class as rape. By supporting sharia law he does in fact support the false quote.

That's rather incorrect.
Q. What's your motivation in life?

My religious belief.
It's been a light in the darknesses of life, a well in the desert of unbearable heat, a raft amidst the raging sea.
Via Salah Sharief

Definitely an important thing to read and some are just going overboard and causing more issues as a result.

The sahaba were very professional and straight forward between opposite genders. They lived by much simpler, and more natural rules. Now, we are stuck between two unnatural and extreme circumstances: either there are no barriers whatsoever between genders, or the very acknowledgement of the existence of the opposite gender is deemed haram. Let's take a look at the conduct of the sahaba:
Once the prophet (saw) was giving an emotional khutba, to the extent that everyone was crying and some of the women could not hear. One of the female companions asked one of the male companions "may Allah bless you, what was the last thing that the prophet said?"

Notice how she spoke to him directly? That her voice wasn't awrah. That she made dua for him. Most importantly, notice how close they were sitting next to each other in the masjid, that she was able to ask him this question?
On another occasion, the female companions complained to the prophet (saw) that when the men make sujood at the back, their awrah is exposed to the women. The prophet then advised the women to wait in sujood until the men are stood up, and then to stand up themselves.

What do we take from this? See how there was no barrier between them? More importantly, see the very simple, yet effective and logical solution the prophet (saw) gave. Problem solved, no further problems created. What would our solution have been? We would've told the women to pray further behind. Actually, place a curtain in front of you so you don't see the men. Actually, pray in the room behind. Actually, pray at home; you're causing fitna.
The relationship between the sexes was professional but very simple and natural; they lived together cohesively. Omar Ibn Al khattab appointed a woman as the market supervisor, and boy she didn't hesitate from reprimanding the men.
This was also the sunnah of the prophets. Musa (AS), mid way through an excruciatingly long and exhausting journey, saw a group of men gathered by a well, and saw two women on the outskirts unable to acquire water. We would have left them be, because it's inappropriate, or even haram to speak to non-mahram. Musa (AS), Allah's chosen one, on the other hand, walked straight up to them and asked, "what is your situation?" They explained that they could not reach the water. He proceeded to get the water, give it them, and sat down by a tree. No superfluous small talk, yet no cowardly abandonment under the guise of religiosity.

Now, we've developed a culture whereby we're either too awkward and ashamed to hold a door open for a struggling sister, or too oblivious of Islamic regulations that we'd use this opportunity to small talk and giggle for 25 minutes.
The astonishing and hypocritical thing is that we're more than willing to have a detailed conversation with the opposite gender at work or university, yet when a brother or sister asks for directions in the prayer room we think it's a marriage proposal.
Islam is natural, and no islamic guideline came down to make our lives difficult or complicated. Until we fix this social misunderstanding that has developed, we will see future generations split further between these two extremes, whereas the prophets and the sahaba were in the middle.

This is in no way shape or form promoting free-mixing; Islam has strict guidelines on that. This is just bringing to light the balance that Islam promotes, so that we do not fall into the 2 extremes, as we have been doing.

Latest

Trending

Trending