The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

1st Year Swansea Uni Student - Ask Me Anything!

Hey guys, as the title says - if you're wondering where is better to live, prices down here, Freshers, and anything in between feel free to ask me anything!

I'm also on the Student-Staff Committee too, so ask me anything about what you'd like to know more about or how the university can give you more information.

Scroll to see replies

What is the Student-Staff Committee?
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
How/when do we sign up for our classes?
When and how do we choose our classes?
What is Freshers like? Is Swansea a good night out? Also, do you know what Swansea are like on grades for getting in? Just in case I don't get my grades to get in.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Hey guys, as the title says - if you're wondering where is better to live, prices down here, Freshers, and anything in between feel free to ask me anything!

I'm also on the Student-Staff Committee too, so ask me anything about what you'd like to know more about or how the university can give you more information.

Just a reminder of the questions here. :smile:
Original post by Juichiro
What is the Student-Staff Committee?

Student-Staff Committee is a confidential team between between the departments of the colleges in Swansea University. It is when Student Representatives meet with staff from the college, usually the Head of the College to discuss serious matters. So, for example Student Reps handle problems, complaints, queries, worries or anxieties that their fellow course peers have, and Student Reps make sure that it is fixed. So for example, if students aren't happy with what they are being assessed with; Student Reps can do things such as challenge the lecturers to being assessed in a different manner or in future events; have it scrapped all together. We also can say whether we want certain modules scrapped in our subjects and we can vote on new modules to be put into the degree catalogue for the upcoming year. We are essentially, the students' voice of concern. We also report all the good things that students like too!
Original post by arianabello

When: You will sign up in the week of Freshers. However, because my year (last year) was two weeks of freshers, and we did it on the 2nd week, I'm not sure when yours will be. Most likely will be on the 19th, the Monday.

How: When you enroll, you will be given a student number and depending on your college (Arts such as English have to do it by paper and chat to a lecturer and they will send it off) but others, such as Business do it electronically and if you're Science, because their modules are all compulsory, it's automatically done for them on their intranet (which is an portal for where you see your grades, exams, etc).
Original post by loooiioool
What is Freshers like? Is Swansea a good night out? Also, do you know what Swansea are like on grades for getting in? Just in case I don't get my grades to get in.

If you can, try and watch Freshers, ITV programme. They filmed my Freshers last year. I didn't watch it, so I don't know how honest their portrayal of it were. Also, my Freshers was two weeks and yours will be only one week so it will be very different. I don't know whether they are going to try and jam 2 weeks into 1 this year, or if they are getting rid of the smaller events and just putting up the big events - I'm unsure. But for me, Freshers was one of THE best events of the year - so far! it was amazing meeting so many different people and it's a great way for you to bond with flatmates and coursemates and to make friends with people just around the uni! It also helps in trying to befriend a 2nd year! It's really did me favours of having a few mates in 2nd year to advise me on essays, housing, and everything.

Swansea has a brilliant night out. I come from Birmingham, so I know my nights out! It is amazing! Wed are student nights, which means it's the cheapest of the week but generally Wind St is open 7 days a week! Not all clubs of course, but some are open on Sunday like Pop World and Idols, etc.

Well, last year was crazy, as Swansea Uni saw an extra 20% of first years being accepted, even though they failed to meet their entry grades. My friend got CDD for a BBC course, I know many for lower and higher, but still got in. I do believe they might be stricter as the Bay Campus is opening in 2015 AND, they have bumped up many entry requirements for a lot of their courses. Almost 50% of their courses.
Which accommodation would you recommend? I can't decide!
Original post by Tarasinclair_97
Which accommodation would you recommend? I can't decide!

Definitely not Preseli. It is far worse on the inside that it is on the outside. There is no extractor fan or anything in the kitchen. I've heard Kilvey is even worse.

Penmaen is is quite nice to be honest. So is Horton. I do find however the Campus accommodation to be more cliquey then Student Village. I've made 99.9% of my friends are from the Village. It's amazing. If I were to choose accommodation, I would have chosen Studen Accom cause the friends I've made are the best. But it's pretty crap as in it's not en-suite but en-suite is not even all that. It's convenient and living on campus is also convenient too! But if you're doing a degree like History or English then it doesn't matter cause you'll only be in for about 9 hours a week. So you won't be missing anything important.

I think Penmaen or Horton is better. I do like Horton the most though!
What is Swansea's policy for hackers Call of Duty
Reply 12
What's the city like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely not Preseli. It is far worse on the inside that it is on the outside. There is no extractor fan or anything in the kitchen. I've heard Kilvey is even worse.

Penmaen is is quite nice to be honest. So is Horton. I do find however the Campus accommodation to be more cliquey then Student Village. I've made 99.9% of my friends are from the Village. It's amazing. If I were to choose accommodation, I would have chosen Studen Accom cause the friends I've made are the best. But it's pretty crap as in it's not en-suite but en-suite is not even all that. It's convenient and living on campus is also convenient too! But if you're doing a degree like History or English then it doesn't matter cause you'll only be in for about 9 hours a week. So you won't be missing anything important.

I think Penmaen or Horton is better. I do like Horton the most though!

Uh oh, may have applied to Preseli before reading this, haha. Cheers though!
Original post by OILRIG
What's the city like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's like any other city... Has the shops, restaurants etc etc. has some lovely beaches and etc. the night life is good. There's no way to describe a city to be honest... As its a city so that's what you'd expect in a typical city.
Any general tips or warnings for someone moving into Bay Campus?
Reply 16
Original post by arianabello

You sign up online, about a month before you come. There is little choice among Year 1s.
Reply 17
Original post by Tarasinclair_97
Uh oh, may have applied to Preseli before reading this, haha. Cheers though!
I stay in Preseli and it is quite nice! And it's the /cheapest/ ensuite on campus.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by loooiioool

Depends on the course. But you can always ask the admission team.
Reply 19
Student-Staff Committee is a confidential team between between the departments of the colleges in Swansea University. It is when Student Representatives meet with staff from the college, usually the Head of the College to discuss serious matters. So, for example Student Reps handle problems, complaints, queries, worries or anxieties that their fellow course peers have, and Student Reps make sure that it is fixed. So for example, if students aren't happy with what they are being assessed with; Student Reps can do things such as challenge the lecturers to being assessed in a different manner or in future events; have it scrapped all together. We also can say whether we want certain modules scrapped in our subjects and we can vote on new modules to be put into the degree catalogue for the upcoming year. We are essentially, the students' voice of concern. We also report all the good things that students like too!

I am the Year 1 rep for aerospace and have pushed for many issues at the student staff meetings. However, some reps are not so diligent and some classes don't know who their rep is. But always find out who your rep is. Or you can run for the rep for your course!

Quick Reply

Latest