The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Downing College have a really great resource to #ExploreYourSubject at http://www.discoverdowning.com/resources/. Or you can search twitter with that hashtag and a number of Cambridge Colleges post stuff. HE+ is great, as are the various masterclasses and taster days run by other colleges at Cambridge, for example the Biology residential at Trinity (http://www.access.trin.cam.ac.uk/biology-residential-25th-26th-june-applications-open/). Enjoy!

Thanks again. The downing website is fantastic. I will have lots to look at after my exams.
Also, when doing STEP questions, I'm kind of confused as to what kind of theorems I am expected to write a full proof for before I am allowed to use them.

For example, I observe a lot of inequalities in the 'probability and statistics' questions can be easily proven via some form of the AM-GM or rearrangement inequality.

I could therefore simply say 'By the AM-GM inequality/rearrangement inequality, therefore this, therefore we are done' and be done in 2 lines, but it appears in most cases, this is not really what the question wants for a part of a question expected to take 30 minutes or so.

Obviously, I shouldn't have to write a full proof for Pythagoras Theorem/Geometric sums/most mainstream maths formulae everytime I want to use it in a question, so what is the sort of line between theorems I have to prove and theorems I have to prove before using? If I can simply state the name of the theorem, does it mean I am allowed to use it without proving it?
Reply 62
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi,

Great to hear you're thinking of applying! You're correct that our typical offer for Economics is A*AA and that out invitations to interview are based partly on predicted A level grades in line with the typical offer. Not being predicted an A* in maths wouldn't necessarily rule you out. What are the other subjects you are studying?

I do Maths, Economics, Biology and RS, do you look closely into UMS scores for maths?
Original post by Nife
I do Maths, Economics, Biology and RS, do you look closely into UMS scores for maths?

I dunno but I think you are highly unlikely to be accepted for Econ without Further Maths. Physics I think would be more useful than RS as well.
Hello,

I am going to be in year 12 next year and I will be taking Economics, Maths, French and History at A level and I am thinking of doing Economics or Law in the future. However, I keep hearing that you need FM a level as well to do economics at cambridge and that all applicants have it and it will greatly reduce your chances if you don't have it, is this true?

Also, I am thinking of teaching myself FM as well or to enrol with the Further mathematics support programme in year 12/13 because I cannot do it at my school due to timetabling/clashing, will this be beneficial?

Thank you
Reply 65
Hi, thanks for doing this.

I am considering applying for MML as I do French and German and the course seems interesting. Out of interest, what has the average UMS average for this course been in recent years? Do you take into account the fact that many native speakers take these A levels and grade boundaries seem to be higher when compared to other subjects?

Also, as for the 3 most relevant subjects - would History be considered more relevant to the course than Geography? (These are my other two subjects.)
Hi,

Great idea to do this thread!

In my school, those taking further maths take their maths a level in year 12. So, for a maths degree, would this a level count as two of the 'three most relevant as levels' or still as one?

Thanks,
Nikhil
Reply 67
Hi, do you think i would be at a disadvantage if i want to do psychology at Cambridge but am not doing psychology a- level. Personally i feel like biology would be a better preparation for the course but am not sure because cambridge do like people who have a passion for their subject.
Reply 68
Also, if i wanted to do natural sciences but am only doing biology and chemistry at a level, as opposed to 3 sciences... am i at a disadvantage as an applicant despite meeting the entry requirements?
Hi, for medicine if a candidates as levels are way better than their gcse e.g. (Person A) 6As 4Bs at gcse, and AAAB would they still be considered or does a consistent trend between gcse grades and as level need to be shown. e.g. (Person B) 6A*s 4As and AAAB across the board.
Also, if (Person A) got a better ukcat/bmat score than (Person B)

Posted from TSR Mobile
So i am considering an application to Cambridge for Law next year. I am a Scottish student and this year i am doing my Highers - Maths, English, French, Geography, History, Economics, but i also did Higher Russian last year and got an A. However, i am unsure of which subjects to do next year that would best suit what i want to do and what grades i will need to get in my Highers to be in a good position to apply.

I am thinking about:

Advanced Higher Geography
Advanced Higher History
A-Level Russian or Advanced Higher English or Advanced Higher Economics
Crash Higher Spanish

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, please tell me your realistic opinion for this... I am thinking of applying for cambridge uni for 2016 entry, so this september.. I'm applying for engineering and I am currently taking IB. I know a lot of you are doing A-Level, but still maybe give me an approximation. Currently I am taking Physics HL, Maths HL, Chinese HL, Art SL, Langlit SL, Econ SL. My predicted grades are not out yet but the teachers say it would be physics-7, maths-6, chinese-7, art-7, langlit-6, econ-6, (maths may go up). So that would be either a 38/42 or 39/42 for PGs. I also did take a-level modules out of school, which I self-studied: M1, M2, FP1.

I do have an extenuating circumstance of chronic diseases where I could not go to school normally for 2 months. I had endoscopy checkup and lost 13kg. ( but im not sure if this is even relevant,although it did affected my grades)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Dear Admission Tutor,

I am an EU applicant looking to apply for HSPS in Cam, although it is not offered in Peterhouse. I've got a few questions concerning my application:

1) Since I've some Math Olympiads accomplishments in the last 5 year, which are unfortunately not really relevant to the course, should I ask my referee to specify them in the reference or just hint to them in my PS or add them in the SAQ?

2)I've been taking painting classes for several years now and would like to continue with drawing. Do you know whether King's college art classes are available for student from the whole university? Are there similar classes held in other colleges?

3)Suppose that in the EU referendum UK decide to leave the EU, would this affect my fee given that I will apply this year and if given an offer start studying in 2016?

I really appreciate answering my questions!!

Cheers
I'm an american taking an AP heavy course load, I'm applying to cambridge in the fall, but I'll only have taken two AP exams relevant to my course(Computer Science with Maths, AP Physics 1 and AP BC Calculus). This is because my state requires 4 years of English courses and 4 years of history courses for a high school diploma. What AP scores would be considered in my application, only the ones relevant to my course, or the three humanities AP's I've taken? Also, my gpa isn't particularly high(3.5 or so), would this reduce my chances of being admitted or does your admissions process reflect that a C in sophmore english has no effect on my success at a Computer Science course.
Original post by joe12345marc
Thank you! Yes I understand that we should be expected to do well in all maths modules, but the maths modules do vary a lot. I've noticed that I have a real weakness to mechanics, so 3 of my important 9 modules being mechanics cannot go well surely. I still expect >90 in all of them (maybe not M2 I'm not sure) but I feel like having a ~5 UMS disadvantage in a module mostly irrelevant to Computer Science shouldn't ruin my chances, only my opinion though! SO basically, we're just expected to *smash* every single maths exam and not much notice is taken into considering difficulty of modules in comparison? Thanks for the honesty!

No one *smashes* every exam - it's also worth bearing in mind that even if you do drop 5% in one of your exams, that only brings your average down by >1% across the whole A level! But yes, a high standard in Maths A level will be expected for
applicants in maths-orientated subjects.
Original post by Ayooo
Hi, do you think i would be at a disadvantage if i want to do psychology at Cambridge but am not doing psychology a- level. Personally i feel like biology would be a better preparation for the course but am not sure because cambridge do like people who have a passion for their subject.

Hi, no problem. We don't offer Psychology at Peterhouse so I can't really go into detail, but I can say that it is very much taught as science subject so sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Maths etc) are great preparation.

For Natural Sciences, Chemistry and Biology does meet the entry requirements, provided you can choose a list of first-year courses which you are happy with. What is your third A level subject?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by minjinoor
Hello I am in year 12 taking Maths Mechanics, Physics, Chemistry and French AS.

I have always been intent on studying Engineering at a top university but only recently gained that the department at Cambridge highly favour applicants with Further Mathematics.

Given that I am on track to meet the predictions for the requirements, take up further maths AS next year and offer good STEP results, would my application be considered equally?

Hi,

You can apply for Engineering without Further Maths, but you're right in thinking that the more Maths you have under your belt the better your chance of admission. Sometimes, if we have an applicant we would like to make an offer to who isn't taking Further Maths, we might add a STEP condition (usually 1 @ STEP I) to their offer to make sure they are able to keep up when they come to study here, so taking STEP beforehand certainly won't hurt your case!
Original post by Nikhilm
Hi,

Great idea to do this thread!

In my school, those taking further maths take their maths a level in year 12. So, for a maths degree, would this a level count as two of the 'three most relevant as levels' or still as one?

Thanks,
Nikhil

Hi, thanks!

For the purposes of Merit Scores, all maths marks are combined and treated a single subject.
Original post by amelia4_xo
Hi, for medicine if a candidates as levels are way better than their gcse e.g. (Person A) 6As 4Bs at gcse, and AAAB would they still be considered or does a consistent trend between gcse grades and as level need to be shown. e.g. (Person B) 6A*s 4As and AAAB across the board.
Also, if (Person A) got a better ukcat/bmat score than (Person B)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

One of the reasons we look at both GCSE and AS results is exactly so we can identify candidates whose academic performance is on a strong upward trajectory. GCSE results are only considered in the context of the school - 6As could be an amazing set of results or 6A*s might be below average for that school, for example. Before interview, all we're really looking for is that you are on track to meet our typical conditional offer (A*A*A for Medicine).
Original post by n.safar4
Hello,
My subject combination is fairly weak. Chemistry, Math, English language and AICT at AS level for PBS at Cambridge.
If i take up psychology AS and A2, drop aict and English, and apply post a-level, would my chances improve?
My school is not "the best school" so they only offer economics, accounting, business studies, AICT , AS English Language, biology, chemistry and physics.
I may suffer a lot if i took up biology since I haven't even studied it at IGCSE level.
Which is why i have settled for maths, chemistry and psychology as my main three subjects.

My school only offers English language as an AS subject which is why i might have to drop it and history and English lit aren't available in my school.
I can self-teach psychology as my passion for it will surely help me .
Would it be worth it if I apply for Cambridge this year provided I get 85%+ and if rejected, apply again next year post a level? Will my chances increase with these subjects? I really wanted to apply this year but my weak combination is demotivating me.

Hi,

I'm afraid we don't offer PBS at Peterhouse so I can't really advise on the best subject combination to apply with. I would suggest you refer to the University/Department websites, and perhaps approach one or two colleges you are thinking of applying to. If you prefer to use The Student Room I think Christ's Admissions will be running a thread on here in July, so you could ask them.

I can tell you that you absolutely can reapply to Cambridge if you aren't successful the first time around, and your application will be treated as brand new. It might be worth asking the College you originally apply to for feedback on whether they would recommend a reapplication, as they should be candid in their response.

Latest

Trending

Trending