The Student Room Group

Any Chance to get offer from UCL?

I am taking AS level now and i didn't do GCSEs.
My subject are History, Maths, Further Maths and Eonomics.
If i get AAAB/ AAAC (B/C is History) in my AS Level, is there any chance to get an offer from UCL? And I would like to study History/ History-related subject.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431827088.835463.jpg these are the entry requirements for history from UCL. Do you think that you can be predicted AAA at least next year. History is the knot thing pulling you down but if you do drop this then you won't have the history A-level they want. They also want a C at English and maths GCSE so I'd suggest calling them up and explaining your reasons for not doing GCSES and see if they'd consider you so at least you know where to aim when applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiffyx
If i get AAAB/ AAAC (B/C is History) in my AS Level, is there any chance to get an offer from UCL? And I would like to study History/ History-related subject.

You will need to contact UCL directly and explain your situation. If you have no GCSEs because you are a foreign student, then they will have a tariff to convert your own country's equivalent. If there's another reason, they will have to judge your case on its merit. Be aware that UCL has a policy of requiring a foreign language at GCSE and will expect you to attend classes during your first year to meet it if you don't have one already.
Reply 3
Original post by r-t
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431827088.835463.jpg these are the entry requirements for history from UCL. Do you think that you can be predicted AAA at least next year. History is the knot thing pulling you down but if you do drop this then you won't have the history A-level they want. They also want a C at English and maths GCSE so I'd suggest calling them up and explaining your reasons for not doing GCSES and see if they'd consider you so at least you know where to aim when applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! If i study History in A2 Level and re-sit the AS paper, and my predict in history is A, Will I have a chance to get an offer?
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You will need to contact UCL directly and explain your situation. If you have no GCSEs because you are a foreign student, then they will have a tariff to convert your own country's equivalent. If there's another reason, they will have to judge your case on its merit. Be aware that UCL has a policy of requiring a foreign language at GCSE and will expect you to attend classes during your first year to meet it if you don't have one already.

Thank you! I think i am going to take the IELTS exam. Also, if I get a B/C in History, will they give me an offer? ( and I am a foreign student too.. Will this increase my probability to get an offer? even if i get a B/C in history?)

THANK YOOUUU :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Tiffyx
Thank you! If i study History in A2 Level and re-sit the AS paper, and my predict in history is A, Will I have a chance to get an offer?

You probably would have a chance. Just as long as your international qualifications are equivalent then it shouldn't be a problem. But of course it's not just about your grades and depends on the strength of your personal statement, reference and interview if you're asked for one. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiffyx
Thank you! I think i am going to take the IELTS exam. Also, if I get a B/C in History, will they give me an offer? ( and I am a foreign student too.. Will this increase my probability to get an offer? even if i get a B/C in history?)

THANK YOOUUU :smile:

Being international can be in your favour, but B/C in history for a history related course at UCL isn't going to happen, I'm afraid.
UCL has two history degrees, which one do you want to apply for? V100 is based at UCL's history department (entry requirements are A*AA-AAA). V101 is based at UCL's School of Slavonic and East European Studies (entry requirements are AAA-AAB).
Being international can be in your favour, but B/C in history for a history related course at UCL isn't going to happen, I'm afraid.

If he got a B in History with an A prediction then he has a chance. Someone that I know got an offer for History at UCL with BBBD at AS with AAA predictions.

Although, I am confused why the OP wants to do History when it's his weakest subject.

I got an offer for Norwegian and History (okay it is joint hons, but still history!) and I don't even have an A level in history. I agree that unless the OP has at least an A in A level history then the V100 degree is a non-starter, but V101 is a possibility.
Original post by Exceptional
If he got a B in History with an A prediction then he has a chance. Someone that I know got an offer for History at UCL with BBBD at AS with AAA predictions.

Although, I am confused why the OP wants to do History when it's his weakest subject.

Getting offers and getting onto the course are two very different things, but an A prediction from a B at AS is perfectly doable. It's just that there will be masses of applicants with A predictions from A at AS to compete with, and certainly, looking at a performance of B/C at AS doesn't shout 'UCL history student' very loudly.
Original post by Snufkin
I got an offer for Norwegian and History (okay it is joint hons, but still history!) and I don't even have an A level in history. I agree that unless the OP has at least an A in A level history then the V100 degree is a non-starter, but V101 is a possibility.

IIRC, you're a mature student with other qualifications also, are you not?
IIRC, you're a mature student with other qualifications also, are you not?

I have a CertHE from the OU but not in history and a geography A level, so not much really. The point is that SSEES are willing to be flexible in certain situations.
Original post by Snufkin
I have a CertHE from the OU but not in history and a geography A level, so not much really. The point is that SSEES are willing to be flexible in certain situations.

Indeed they are, but I don't know what it is that OP has to compensate for a possible grade C in the subject they want to do at degree level, and they aren't a mature student with a proven track record of study in other areas which are at least humanities based.
Indeed they are, but I don't know what it is that OP has to compensate for a possible grade C in the subject they want to do at degree level, and they aren't a mature student with a proven track record of study in other areas which are at least humanities based.

You are right. I dont mean to suggest the OP has a chance if he gets a C overall. If he gets a C in AS but a B in the A level, then yes he has a chance at V101.
Original post by Snufkin
You are right. I dont mean to suggest the OP has a chance if he gets a C overall. If he gets a C in AS but a B in the A level, then yes he has a chance at V101.

In theory, yes, but we haven't solved the problem of why no GCSEs yet, unless I missed the post. Without any evidence of prior academic success and only mediocre performance at the target subject, I think UCL would find they can do better. However, we don't have all the facts, so it's only speculation. If s/he doesn't give it a try we shall never know, and it's only 1 choice out of 5.
Reply 16
In theory, yes, but we haven't solved the problem of why no GCSEs yet, unless I missed the post. Without any evidence of prior academic success and only mediocre performance at the target subject, I think UCL would find they can do better. However, we don't have all the facts, so it's only speculation. If s/he doesn't give it a try we shall never know, and it's only 1 choice out of 5.

OP said that s/he is a foreign student hence why they don't have GCSE's. OP probably has qualifications which are equivalent to GCSE's though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiffyx

A friend of mine has been given an offer to study mech eng at UCL

He got ABCD in AS (extenuating circumstances) and is predicted AAA.

So yes. You probably can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
OP said that s/he is a foreign student hence why they don't have GCSE's. OP probably has qualifications which are equivalent to GCSE's though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I said in post three. She has not confirmed it one way or the other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending