The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Provided that they are in different school years, then yes we would as the older candidate will have much more background knowledge, practice, intellectual maturity etc. The fact that we have different expectations is what allows applicants in Year 13 to compete with applicants on a gap year, mature students and those with a previous degree, all on a level playing field.

So if someone is was almost a year older (or two years older! Some people in my school >.>) they would be treated the same as the younger person equally as long as they are in the same academic year?
Hi there (thanks so much for doing this thread by the way!)

I was wondering about a few things:

1. Do you happen to know/have the average UMS for Law candidates and acceptances? :smile:
2. How important is the UMS for the 4th subject? And the grade? Because for Humanities am I correct you usually take the best 3 subjects, so how important is the 4th/how much weight is it given?
3. My school does one A2 module this year (depending on my result I may resit anyway) instead of next year for a subject I am doing as one of my 3 A Levels, will it still count as 3 A-Levels for the purposes of getting an offer etc.?
Original post by Angry Tomato
So if someone is was almost a year older (or two years older! Some people in my school >.>:wink: they would be treated the same as the younger person equally as long as they are in the same academic year?

Not quite: what we expect from a candidate is influenced by the entirety of the evidence we have about them from all the data we collect through contextual information, UCAS, the SAQ etc.
Original post by Sheldor
Hi there (thanks so much for doing this thread by the way!)

I was wondering about a few things:

1. Do you happen to know/have the average UMS for Law candidates and acceptances? :smile:
2. How important is the UMS for the 4th subject? And the grade? Because for Humanities am I correct you usually take the best 3 subjects, so how important is the 4th/how much weight is it given?
3. My school does one A2 module this year (depending on my result I may resit anyway) instead of next year for a subject I am doing as one of my 3 A Levels, will it still count as 3 A-Levels for the purposes of getting an offer etc.?

Happy to help!

1. The average for successful Law applicants at Peterhouse over the past two years has been 89.4% (range 84.1-94.9, 27% of offer-holders not taking A levels).

2. We only expect candidates to be taking 3 A levels, but we will look at your scores in a fourth subject and the average across all 4 (but you are correct that the best 3 average is more interesting). No particular weight is ever given to any particular piece of information so I'm afraid I can't say how important this is as it depends on the rest of your application and the information we have about you. Remember that it is better to excel in 3 subjects than to do less well in 4.

3. Yes, that will be fine. We simply want candidates to be working hard in Year 13 so that they are well-prepared for university and the workload.
(edited 8 years ago)

Yes, that will be fine. We simply want candidates to be working hard in Year 13 so that they are well-prepared for university and the workload.

it's funny because Oxford seems to think the opposite, they don't attach STEP offers on their maths course and all their offers are lower so I'm told that 'if you get an oxford offer you can just Chill for year 13' haha
1) Due to changes in the A Level system, in the future, would students who finished secondary school in 2016 and take a gap year and apply in the year 2017 be at an unfair advantage as they (who took AS Levels) would be applying in the same year as people who didn't take AS Levels (meaning valuable information about if the applicant has improved or not since GCSEs is lost) as the government decided to decouple AS levels from the overall qualification.

(It's not at all relevant to me as I'm in Year 11 and not Year 12/13, although a similar question could be asked about people who take a gap year in 2017 and apply instead for 2018, having letter grades (A*-G) instead of number grades (1-9). I was just curious)

2) How much does a good grade (or taking an A Level) in Physics matter for a person who plans to apply for Maths? Apparently Cambridge likes its maths-physics connection, being home to Newton, Dirac, Kelvin etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Palette
1) Due to changes in the A Level system, in the future, would students who finished secondary school in 2016 and take a gap year and apply in the year 2017 be at an unfair advantage as they (who took AS Levels) would be applying in the same year as people who didn't take AS Levels (meaning valuable information about if the applicant has improved or not since GCSEs is lost) as the government decided to decouple AS levels from the overall qualification.

(It's not at all relevant to me as I'm in Year 11 and not Year 12/13, although a similar question could be asked about people who take a gap year in 2017 and apply instead for 2018, having letter grades (A*-G) instead of number grades (1-9). I was just curious)

2) How much does a good grade (or taking an A Level) in Physics matter for a person who plans to apply for Maths? Apparently Cambridge likes its maths-physics connection, being home to Newton, Dirac, Kelvin etc.

As A levels change, some aspects of our application process are likely to change too. There won't be any unfairness though - remember that around 40% of our applicants at the moment don't have UMS as they're studying other qualification like the IB or are international students. We are likely to continue requestign UMS for whichever subject retain it and if candidates opt to take the stand-alone AS exams. We're used to assessing candidates from all over the world taking a huge range of qualifications so there won't be an issue regarding changes to grades or specifications either.

2)Grades in Physics are reasonably important for Mathematics (but nowhere near as important as maths!).

You are correct that Cambridge has a long and proud history in applied mathematics/theoretical physics. In your first year you would have to some applied maths. We teach physics here from a mathematical point of view, which is why Physics is good preparation (but not essential) for Cambridge Mathematics. There is a non-examinable course in Physics to help those who did little or no Physics at A level, but obviously these students would find the first year just a bit harder. In later years you can specialize say in pure maths or statistics, so this becomes less of a problem. At the interview stage if there are two borderline candidates who are very difficult to separate, then the one doing physics might then have a slight edge, I suppose. Outstanding candidates, however, would definitely not lose out on an offer just because of lack of physics. They would be advised to do a bit of reading in physics during the summer before coming up to Cambridge.

As mentioned previously, our next thread here on TSR will be 'Ask a Maths Interviewer' and will run 15th - 25th June.
Personal question but hopefully useful to others too:

(Currently doing AS): In the really unfortunate event in which I don't receive an offer from Cambridge (next January-ish i believe) for Computer Science with Maths but then go to hit my own personal A level goals (I hope for 3A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, an A in Add.f.maths (AS so can't get A*) and a 1,1 in STEP II,III - although having no idea whether I'll be able to hit it or not, it's just a nice little personal goal I want to achieve as goals help motivate me) would there be any point in me applying for deferred entry after them results come in? Because, although I'd much rather be doing my degree with people my own age, I'd still much rather study at Cambridge regardless, but I'd only apply for deferred entry (and consequently take a gap year, and just do some more A levels / modules or something, haven't really considered it much before now) if there was a realistic chance of getting a place? So just wondering, is re-applying something I should consider, say at results day if I managed to hit these grades?? Or would I be better off just studying elsewhere then coming back to Cambridge after my degree for further study?
Original post by joe12345marc
Personal question but hopefully useful to others too:

(Currently doing AS): In the really unfortunate event in which I don't receive an offer from Cambridge (next January-ish i believe) for Computer Science with Maths but then go to hit my own personal A level goals (I hope for 3A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, an A in Add.f.maths (AS so can't get A*) and a 1,1 in STEP II,III - although having no idea whether I'll be able to hit it or not, it's just a nice little personal goal I want to achieve as goals help motivate me) would there be any point in me applying for deferred entry after them results come in? Because, although I'd much rather be doing my degree with people my own age, I'd still much rather study at Cambridge regardless, but I'd only apply for deferred entry (and consequently take a gap year, and just do some more A levels / modules or something, haven't really considered it much before now) if there was a realistic chance of getting a place? So just wondering, is re-applying something I should consider, say at results day if I managed to hit these grades?? Or would I be better off just studying elsewhere then coming back to Cambridge after my degree for further study?

OK, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves! Unsuccessful applicants are welcome to reapply and many do so successfully. We are happy to provide feedback to the referees of unsuccessful candidates and if you mention you are considering reapplying we will give an honest appraisal of whether we would recommend doing so. Whether this is the right decision for you is up to you - I can't tell you what is best.
If I got:
A1
A1
A
A
A
A
A
A
at national 5
At higher:
A1
A1
A1
A1
A

and am predicted to get :
A1
A1
A1
A1
at advanced higher do I still have a chance of getting in to do economics even though I didn't get many band 1s at national 5 level?
Original post by allys1234
If I got:
A1
A1
A
A
A
A
A
A
at national 5
At higher:
A1
A1
A1
A1
A

and am predicted to get :
A1
A1
A1
A1
at advanced higher do I still have a chance of getting in to do economics even though I didn't get many band 1s at national 5 level?

Your most recent exams are of most interest so provided you're on track to meet our typical target at Advanced Higher (and it seems like you are) then you have the basis for a competitive application (provided you are studying appropriate subjects).
If I got A* B C C D D D E U for GCSE with a* in math and c in english and b in physics when average for my school is 5A*s can i still apply if i think i do good on math and fuhrer a level even though i mess up my other a level
Original post by French Turnip
If I got A* B C C D D D E U for GCSE with a* in math and c in english and b in physics when average for my school is 5A*s can i still apply if i think i do good on math and fuhrer a level even though i mess up my other a level

Which course are you interested in applying for?
Which course are you interested in applying for?

math
(edited 8 years ago)
zut

Original post by Angry Tomato
alors

Do you guys go to the same art, and gardening, classes? Oh, and facial hairstyling...
(edited 8 years ago)
math

The most important thing for Maths is to be very good at maths. Our typical offer is A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP II,III. Unless you have extenuating circumstances, unless you are on target to achieve A*A*A I'm afraid it's unlikely we would invite you to interview.
The most important thing for Maths is to be very good at maths. Our typical offer is A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP II,III. Unless you have extenuating circumstances, unless you are on target to achieve A*A*A I'm afraid it's unlikely we would invite you to interview.

so I -NEED- extenuating circumstances if I have bad GCSEs?
I comletely did not care about my subjects like religion and biology because i thought you guys wouldnt care if I failed them since they were not relevant for math
so I -NEED- extenuating circumstances if I have bad GCSEs?
I comletely did not care about my subjects like religion and biology because i thought you guys wouldnt care if I failed them since they were not relevant for math

Not for the GCSEs (there are absolutely no requirements for Mathematics) but you referred to not doing as well in your third A level.
Not for the GCSEs (there are absolutely no requirements for Mathematics) but you referred to not doing as well in your third A level.

what about if i take triple math and drop the a level? is it possible to meet the offer without doing any subjects except math (do all the math modules and nothing else)?
It would depend on which course you're applying for (for a biologist a C wouldn't be great!). You would need some A* grades too (typical offer is A*A*A in sciences and A*AA for arts/humanities). If you're studying 4 A levels, we might offer based on 3 or 4 A levels, possibly specifying/excluding subjects, possibly not.

A complication with your example is combining maths and FM. If you take A level maths in Year 12 (or the equivalent number of modules) we generally like to see you taking 3 A levels in Year 13 to demonstrate that you can cope with the workload. This can mean that you end up taking 4 A levels.

It's difficult to give a specific answer without knowing which subject you're interested in, but I hope this helps!

I'm planning on studying maths, sorry, I thought I said but it looks like I didn't. And I just meant the C as a general "I messed up in one subject and didn't do as well as I expected" grade. I chose C so it was lot lower than the others. At the moment, I'm expecting to get A*s in maths and further maths, with A's in chemistry and biology (or just one of them if I decide to drop one), or A*s if I get lucky papers. Sorry for being so vague before.

Latest

Trending

Trending