The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by French Turnip
If I got A* B C C D D D E U for GCSE with a* in math and c in english and b in physics when average for my school is 5A*s can i still apply if i think i do good on math and fuhrer a level even though i mess up my other a level

Stop spamming
(Oh and best auto-correct ever.)
figt?
Original post by jneill
Stop spamming
(Oh and best auto-correct ever.)
Original post by .-sophie-.
I'm planning on studying maths, sorry, I thought I said but it looks like I didn't. And I just meant the C as a general "I messed up in one subject and didn't do as well as I expected" grade. I chose C so it was lot lower than the others. At the moment, I'm expecting to get A*s in maths and further maths, with A's in chemistry and biology (or just one of them if I decide to drop one), or A*s if I get lucky papers. Sorry for being so vague before.

Sounds like you're on track to a competitive application! For maths, we might insist that the two A*s be in maths and FM (if taken in Year 13) and one or two As in Biology/Chemistry, or (if maths taken in Year 12) A* in maths, AA Chemistry Biology. Keep an eye out for our maths-specific thread next month!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Sounds like you're on track to a competitive application! For maths, we might insist that the two A*s be in maths and FM (if taken in Year 13) and one or two As in Biology/Chemistry, or (if maths taken in Year 12) A* in maths, AA Chemistry Biology. Keep an eye out for our maths-specific thread next month!

What difference does it make to take math in year 12?
some schools dont teach further math at all in the first year and then teach the whole a level at once in the 2nd year, some schools teach as maths and as further maths in year 12 then teach both a2s in the 2nd year. Overall the workload is the same for both?
What difference does it make to take math in year 12?
some schools dont teach further math at all in the first year and then teach the whole a level at once in the 2nd year, some schools teach as maths and as further maths in year 12 then teach both a2s in the 2nd year. Overall the workload is the same for both?

It doesn't make a difference in terms of admissions decisions (as you say the workload and the material covered is the same) but it might affect any conditional offer made. If you already complete maths in Year 12 we may exclude it from our offer (we can only make offers conditional on exams you haven't sat yet). Keep an eye out for our maths-specific thread next month!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
It doesn't make a difference in terms of admissions decisions (as you say the workload and the material covered is the same) but it might affect any conditional offer made. If you already complete maths in Year 12 we may exclude it from our offer (we can only make offers conditional on exams you haven't sat yet). Keep an eye out for our maths-specific thread next month!

that is like so unfair rofl
but you dont really care if people meet those offers or not as far as im aware, the only part of the offer you REALLY care about is the STDP offer
that is like so unfair rofl
but you dont really care if people meet those offers or not as far as im aware, the only part of the offer you REALLY care about is the STDP offer

Your place is only guaranteed if you meet all the conditions of your offer. Anything else is treated on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the Admissions Tutors and Directors of Studies.
OK, thanks everyone! I'm afraid we have to draw this thread to a close. As mentioned previously, we will be back next month from the 15th - 25th for an 'Ask a Mathematics interviewer' thread dedicated to Mathematics and Maths with Physics. We'll then do another general thread shortly before the University open day on the 2nd and 3rd July. In the meantime, I'm pleased to announce that Peterhouse has a new website!

There is more information than ever about what it is like to live and work at Peterhouse and on the opportunities available. There is also a dedicated section for applicants, outlining the various dates and deadlines you should be aware of. We have also added an FAQs page and information for parents and carers.

As ever, we're more than happy to answer any questions from you via PM, email ([email protected]) or by phone. However, please note that the Admissions Office will now be closed until Monday 1st June.

Good luck to everyone with exams!

Latest

Trending

Trending