The Student Room Group

Is university even worth it anymore?

I have not been to university so please don't shoot me down as I don't know how it changes you.

Considering most students come out with nearly 50k debt (I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things).

Would most students not just be better off to get an apprenticeship? Whilst their friends were at university they would be earning about 17k per year (after 2 years in their apprenticeship)whilst living at home with mum and having no real outgoings.

I mean person A comes out of university with a degree at the age of 22, with 50k debt.

Person B finishes their apprenticeship at age 22, with a nice car & 25k saved towards a house also with industry experience.

Hm??

I have an apprenticeship but also want to go to university. I'm not sure if I'm just chickening out and trying to scare myself. It just seems like 50k debt is a lot of money for a certificate (mine would be in telecommunications engineering)... Or is it also hugely worth it for the life skills and social life too???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this really only about the debt? It's pretty common knowledge that the amount you pay back doesn't really make a dent in anything so using debt as an excuse is pretty poor.

People want to take different routes in life. Some want apprenticeships, some want uni. Whether it's worth it or not is a different story but at the end of the day, who cares. I'm sure those going to university have deemed it to be 'worth it' otherwise why would they go?
Reply 2
I've done a an apprenticeship in IT networking after finishing my a levels. This year I'm heading to uni reason being is that I feel that the companies that take on young apprentices are only using us for cheap labour. However I didn't mind that as long as I got a full time well paid job at the end off it .i guess I was wrong I was only being offered 17k in which they told me before I joined he company that I will be getting 25k
I can't imagine most 18 year olds are ready to work full time, so that's an advantage of going to uni.
I kinda wish I had done what I am doing now instead of going to Uni, working away at an activity centre meeting lots of people, similar to living at uni, just being paid for a job instead.
As said above, you can't just compare apprenticeship v university on the basis of bank balances after 3 years. The payback from a degree is almost certainly going to be greater than for an apprenticeship over a working career.

And that's not even counting the extra-curriculars on offer, networking, social life and general life skills that university provides.
Depends a lot on what you're going to study and how employable it makes you afterwards. Some degrees don't have much added value, sadly. I think now you have to pay back so much £££ it's probably worth putting more thought into than before. Anybody who says the amount you pay back doesn't make a dent in things is incorrect, in my opinion. The only reason people aren't having to pay it all back is because they're not earning enough... and if you're not earning enough, why on earth did you do the degree in the first place.
Original post by lewif002

Considering most students come out with nearly 50k debt (I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things)

it's not really debt: you might never pay off a penny, and whatever you've not paid will be written off when you're 50. In the event that there were no tuition fees, it would be taken from the general taxation to which you'll be a contributor. Under that circumstance they'd only slightly lower a tax threshold and you'd never realise that this was how you were paying for university. You'd still be paying either way, whether as a taxpayer or taxpayer+loanpayer. So I wouldn't be put off by that debt anymore than you might once have been put off by the thought that "if I go to university I might become a higher earner, and then I'll be liable to pay a higher marginal rate of tax..."

As against that, you're right to think of the opportunity cost: in lost earnings and practical experience. Clever fellow. If you were going to study a non-vocational course at any but a very good university, I'd perhaps counsel against it. As it is, Telecommunications Engineering sounds like it might be a sensible deferred gratitcation.
Reply 8
Original post by cambio wechsel
it's not really debt: you might never pay off a penny, and whatever you've not paid will be written off when you're 50. In the event that there were no tuition fees, it would be taken from the general taxation to which you'll be a contributor. Under that circumstance they'd only slightly lower a tax threshold and you'd never realise that this was how you were paying for university. You'd still be paying either way, whether as a taxpayer or taxpayer+loanpayer. So I wouldn't be put off by that debt anymore than you might once have been put off by the thought that "if I go to university I might become a higher earner, and then I'll be liable to pay a higher marginal rate of tax..."

As against that, you're right to think of the opportunity cost: in lost earnings and practical experience. Clever fellow. If you were going to study a non-vocational course at any but a very good university, I'd perhaps counsel against it. As it is, Telecommunications Engineering sounds like it might be a sensible deferred gratitcation.

I'm traveling back to South Africa after university no debt for me then :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending