The Student Room Group

ID for petrol?

So yesterday I was filling my car up as usual (I'm 19) and as I went to pay I got asked for ID. This is where the problem was. I passed my driving test two weeks ago and haven't received my full card license through the post yet and therefore he was questioning me.

This is where I'm confused because I had a Visa card which you can old have at 18 I believe and also, is it alcoholic or something? Why am I being ided for petrol? I didn't think it was a policy.. And what if he would have refused me? Would they have phoned the police?

I'm just so confused as to the fact that I'm driving a car, Filling it with petrol and paying on my visa and I get questioned.
Thankfully the guy behind me in the queue piped up and stated obviously I was of age and to hurry up due to this guy making a problem out of it.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Scroll to see replies

It's amazing what you can find on Google
Original post by CurlyBen

what you mean?
Original post by Man.bear.pig
what you mean?

Open the link!
same with anything which requires an age. they NEED to see proof of age! Trading Standards do this where they send in an underaged person to purchase stuff which they are legally not allowed to be allowed to buy (lol at that sentence). If they are caught they can land a HUGE fine whihc can cripple a business
Open the link!

u wot? who you yellin at? lol i did open and seriously cba but i dont see the connect. are you implying that OP stole the story?
Original post by Man.bear.pig
u wot? who you yellin at? lol i did open and seriously cba but i dont see the connect. are you implying that OP stole the story?

The OP couldn't understand why he was being asked for ID for petrol and didn't realise you had to be 16 to buy it. I posted a link which gave the details of the law and the possible repercussions for a business if they sell it to someone underage, and you don't see how that's relevant?
Reply 7

Yeah I understand. I suppose it would make more sense if the person was filling a canister with petrol. Just found it weird that's all
Reply 8
It was just weird that he saw me get out of my car for sure as I was the only one there and still didn't believe me.. I suppose he thought id stolen the car haha
Original post by Dejomony
same with anything which requires an age. they NEED to see proof of age! Trading Standards do this where they send in an underaged person to purchase stuff which they are legally not allowed to be allowed to buy (lol at that sentence). If they are caught they can land a HUGE fine whihc can cripple a business

I see what you are saying but if a person is old enough to drive a car (and drive it to a petrol station) then they are obviously old enough to buy petrol for it.
Original post by CautiousCat
It was just weird that he saw me get out of my car for sure as I was the only one there and still didn't believe me.. I suppose he thought id stolen the car haha

A girl i work with had that happen to her once as well.
You have to be 16 to buy petrol. But unless for some reason the bloke at the petrol station thought you where like a passenger in a the car or something and under 16 (which he shoudnt have done if there was no one else about), then it sounds like he was being a tool.
I always send in my 10 year old kid to pay for fuel while im still actually filling up. Saves time.
Original post by Emma:-)
I see what you are saying but if a person is old enough to drive a car (and drive it to a petrol station) then they are obviously old enough to buy petrol for it.

you can drive provisionally at 17 which is under the age limit to buy petrol.
the age limit to buy petrol in the UK is 16 not 18.

otherwise all the kids on mopeds would be stuffed
Original post by Dejomony
you can drive provisionally at 17 which is under the age limit to buy petrol.

The age for buying petrol is 16!
Original post by Laomedeia
I always send in my 10 year old kid to pay for fuel while im still actually filling up. Saves time.

Hehe. I can remember being young (8-12ish) pumping the fuel for my dad well he ran in to buy some shopping and pay. I can also remember some prick of a PFS attendant having a go at my dad claiming it was illegal(true actually) and irresponsible(bull****) threatening to call the police and child services etc etc.
Reply 16
I work in a petrol station and if he thought you looked under 16 when you got out the car to fill up, then he should've sent someone out to check you're old enough instead of asking when you were paying.
Reply 17
Original post by CautiousCat
So yesterday I was filling my car up as usual (I'm 19) and as I went to pay I got asked for ID. This is where the problem was. I passed my driving test two weeks ago and haven't received my full card license through the post yet and therefore he was questioning me.

This is where I'm confused because I had a Visa card which you can old have at 18 I believe and also, is it alcoholic or something? Why am I being ided for petrol? I didn't think it was a policy.. And what if he would have refused me? Would they have phoned the police?

I'm just so confused as to the fact that I'm driving a car, Filling it with petrol and paying on my visa and I get questioned.
Thankfully the guy behind me in the queue piped up and stated obviously I was of age and to hurry up due to this guy making a problem out of it.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Not had this before.

Also, just to advise you..... unless it's a credit card, a Visa card does not prove you are of age... you can get a Visa at age 11... I got my first Visa (Electron) in Summer 2010 aged 15.
I think it's a bit silly to ID someone after they've filled up even if it is the law. What happens if they are underage? Are they going to get someone to take all the fuel out of the car again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obviously had some issues :smile: I wouldn't worry about it! I haven't been ID'd for petrol, but I have had a few looks and stares (I am 22, but I look about 12... Seriously!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending