The Student Room Group

Top Chemical Engineering courses in clearing

Scroll to see replies

I've worked a lot with outreach in Engineering and have studied in Sheffield and can highly reccommend Sheffield for Engineering! We have over taken Cambridge for our quality of Engineering research :smile: I'm not sure what clearing vacancies there are for Sheffield but you could pre-register your interest to find out? http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/clearing
I've got an AAA chem eng offer for Birmingham. But having done my exams, I'm scared I won't make the offer. How lenient are they if you drop a grade?
I know this is a slightly old offer, but has anyone heard of the Engineering foundation year at Birmingham being in clearing/adjustment? I am retaking my A levels in a gap year, and I don't have maths at A2 so I couldn't go straight into engineering.
Original post by baffledchick
I know this is a slightly old offer, but has anyone heard of the Engineering foundation year at Birmingham being in clearing/adjustment? I am retaking my A levels in a gap year, and I don't have maths at A2 so I couldn't go straight into engineering.

If you mean the H100 course, then yes, it has been in clearing the past two years. Whether it will be this year is another matter.
Original post by ageshallnot
If you mean the H100 course, then yes, it has been in clearing the past two years. Whether it will be this year is another matter.

I meant the H892 but I think they're pretty similar
I meant the H892 but I think they're pretty similar

My mistake, I should have noticed you meant Chemical Engineering. H892 was in clearing last year, not the year before.
My mistake, I should have noticed you meant Chemical Engineering. H892 was in clearing last year, not the year before.

No, sorry I should have specified, thanks! Do you mind if ask how you know this? So I can check without badgering you with questions lol. Also, do you know much about how this works, if I have applied to a different course but have changed my mind, would I need to send them another personal statement?
No, sorry I should have specified, thanks! Do you mind if ask how you know this? So I can check without badgering you with questions lol. Also, do you know much about how this works, if I have applied to a different course but have changed my mind, would I need to send them another personal statement?

I know because I have the Daily Telegraph special clearing supplements from the last two results days. :smile:

I don't really know much about the mechanics of clearing/adjustment but I suppose it is possible you will need to submit a new PS. If so, prepare it after your exams have finished.

If you have changed your mind about the course to which you originally applied, could you apply to Birmingham for H892 through Extra?
I know because I have the Daily Telegraph special clearing supplements from the last two results days. :smile:

I don't really know much about the mechanics of clearing/adjustment but I suppose it is possible you will need to submit a new PS. If so, prepare it after your exams have finished.

If you have changed your mind about the course to which you originally applied, could you apply to Birmingham for H892 through Extra?

Ahh! Well thanks for letting me know, I'm hoping it will be in this year but who knows. Okay, I will do that. I think I could but I'm weary of losing my firm in case I don't get into Birmingham, but now you have mentioned it I'm more weary about it not being in clearing lol. Do you study Engineering?
Ahh! Well thanks for letting me know, I'm hoping it will be in this year but who knows. Okay, I will do that. I think I could but I'm weary of losing my firm in case I don't get into Birmingham, but now you have mentioned it I'm more weary about it not being in clearing lol. Do you study Engineering?

If nothing else, you could contact the Birmingham chemical engineering department to say you are thinking about Extra and ask what any offer might be.

I suppose you need to decide which course you want to study. No point in incurring a debt of more than 50k to study something you don't like?

My student days are long behind me and I could never have studied engineering of any kind!
If nothing else, you could contact the Birmingham chemical engineering department to say you are thinking about Extra and ask what any offer might be.

I suppose you need to decide which course you want to study. No point in incurring a debt of more than 50k to study something you don't like?

My student days are long behind me and I could never have studied engineering of any kind!

Thank you for all of your help, I think that is the best idea. I will call them up and see what they say. Exactly, that's why I really do not want to go to firm, because I'm not that interested in studying the course I have applied for.
Thank you for all of your help, I think that is the best idea. I will call them up and see what they say. Exactly, that's why I really do not want to go to firm, because I'm not that interested in studying the course I have applied for.

University is costly, so no point in wasting your time and money.

Good luck! It will be interesting to see how you get on!
University is costly, so no point in wasting your time and money.

Good luck! It will be interesting to see how you get on!

Thank you! I have private messaged you :smile:
Do you have to study physics to do chemical engineering?
:/
And would it be useful to study M1 and M2?

Thanks for the help :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't know Queen Mary's London do a foundation course for Engineering, what do you make of this course and job prospects with it? Does anybody know if it has been in clearing/
Reply 35
Hi guys,

I was hoping to study Chemical engineering but currently do not have any places on offer. I only have a single offer of studying geophysics at imperial college London.

My grades are A*AAB in Maths, FM, Biology and Chemistry.

Am currently on my gap year and have decided to study AS physics to help my prepare for my course. I was wondering whether UoB might be in clearing this year and if so would be leinient enough to accept my onto their chem eng course (5yrs MEng) if there was any vacancies.

I had an offer last year for the same course but I decided to turn it down and took a gap year (biggest regret as I could have deferred it).

Taking into account that i was 15UMS off A in chem what would you think guys?
Reply 36
Original post by Inam97
Hi guys,

I was hoping to study Chemical engineering but currently do not have any places on offer. I only have a single offer of studying geophysics at imperial college London.

My grades are A*AAB in Maths, FM, Biology and Chemistry.

Am currently on my gap year and have decided to study AS physics to help my prepare for my course. I was wondering whether UoB might be in clearing this year and if so would be leinient enough to accept my onto their chem eng course (5yrs MEng) if there was any vacancies.

I had an offer last year for the same course but I decided to turn it down and took a gap year (biggest regret as I could have deferred it).

Taking into account that i was 15UMS off A in chem what would you think guys?

Ask them. You may be able to apply via Extra instead of waiting for Clearing. But ask them first.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Thanks for the info. It's certainly something I've considered doing but it's just 2 things about this option.

I would like to have something in writing or some sort of confirmation that I would get a place (imagine I withdraw my offer from imperial and add chem eng in extra and they come back to me saying sorry no more space, rejection). Some sort of reassurance really. As I would be out of a place completely.

Secondly would the grades do, as I have an B in chemistry which is quite a big factor.

I did receive their A2B offer (reduces the grades down to ABB) last year as well but since I didn't complete their A2B module I didn't really obtain the offer. And since the deadline for the module has past this year am not able to get the A2B offer again.

I was just looking for some advise from people who are in a similar position really. I mean am only 15UMS offer from their typical offer.

Plus I received an A in A2 chemistry (i kinda flopped AS chemistry and got a really low B) but it averaged out as a B.
Reply 38
Original post by Inam97
Thanks for the info. It's certainly something I've considered doing but it's just 2 things about this option.

I would like to have something in writing or some sort of confirmation that I would get a place (imagine I withdraw my offer from imperial and add chem eng in extra and they come back to me saying sorry no more space, rejection). Some sort of reassurance really. As I would be out of a place completely.

Secondly would the grades do, as I have an B in chemistry which is quite a big factor.

I did receive their A2B offer (reduces the grades down to ABB) last year as well but since I didn't complete their A2B module I didn't really obtain the offer. And since the deadline for the module has past this year am not able to get the A2B offer again.

I was just looking for some advise from people who are in a similar position really. I mean am only 15UMS offer from their typical offer.

Plus I received an A in A2 chemistry (i kinda flopped AS chemistry and got a really low B) but it averaged out as a B.

No-one can say if your grades are OK except for the university you are applying to. Everyones circumstances are different, and your post above reinforces that. With your grades in hand you may get an unconditional from Birmingham without waiting for your AS Physics result (they are one of the universities that regularly give unconditionals anyway).

And if you wait for Clearing you may be in the same situation if you decline Imperial anyway.

Email (or even better, call and follow-up with an email to) Birmingham and ask.

Edit to add: is your Imperial offer conditional? Did you apply for ChemEng elsewhere? Do you want to go to Imperial at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 39
Thanks for the info Jneil, will certainly do just trying to muster up the courage to give them a call (I've already missed all the deadlines so wanna get this over and done with).

Yes my offer is unconditional with Imperial since their typical offer is A*AA/AAA

I applied to some other unis but I didn't really want to go to any of them now. I have family in London plus I receive a fair bit of bursary from Imperial so I applied there. I didn't apply UoB purely because I thought they might reject me because I've applied already once and I kinda turned them down (which is probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life now that am in this situation).

I love Imperial it self as a university I think it is really good. It's just going through the modules plus I love maths/mechanics and chemistry I think Chem eng would be something I love to study at a higher level.

Don't get me wrong I also love geophysics because of the maths and physics aspect but I would choose Chem Eng over geophysics (my plan if I go to imperial would be do complete my undergraduate in geophysics and do a 1yrs masters in Chem Eng).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending