The Student Room Group

Want help with Russian History essays? :)

Scroll to see replies

Does have anyone have a essay structure e.g intro,main body,conclusion? and what you write in each section? Also what do you need in a paragraph to access level 5?
This is for Russian History AS Level Edexcel
Anyone doing the synoptic OCR (Russia) paper for A2?
Original post by Arsenal1471
Anyone doing the synoptic OCR (Russia) paper for A2?

Me! How are you feeling about it?
Original post by Jenny1997
Me! How are you feeling about it?

Scared 😭😫 what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arsenal1471
Scared 😭😫 what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! Do you know much about working conditions of the working class? Like what did AII do to improve them?
Hi there I'm doing F966 Historical Themes in a2 history and it is on Russia and its Rulers. How would I go about structuring an answer to 'Alexander III was more successful at dealing with opposition than any other ruler'. Would I split paragraphs into:

The nature of opposition so political parties, individuals and cliques, peasants, workers, national minorities or the methods used to deal with opposition so reform, repression etc.
What themes would you use for 'assess the view that economic change in Russia was more successful under Stalin than any other ruler in the period 1855 - 1964'. ?? Have a feeling something to do with industry/workers may come up..
Reply 287
Hello, i am stuck on the question 'To what extent were the rulers of Russia reluctant reformers?' I have no idea what to write especially in terms of economy. Please can some help.
Original post by O.J
Hello, i am stuck on the question 'To what extent were the rulers of Russia reluctant reformers?' I have no idea what to write especially in terms of economy. Please can some help.

Hi! I had to do this question in my mock exam in April and was very close to a B, I just had to include more precise detail. I structured it into political, social and economic reform. Political- all leaders limited personal and political freedoms but some were more willing to reform for example Alexander II and the Zemstva, Nicholas and the Duma. Also mentioned that Khrushchev eased censorship and found some data to support. I then said however these were limited- zemstva dominated by nobility and Duma undermined by fundamental laws. The communists were equally as reluctant (Lenin ban on factions and Stalin cracked down on censorship, purged political oppenents). Therefore any potential threat to their rule made them reluctant. Social- Rulers keen to reform in certain fields especially education (Alexander II 'new code' and Stalin made primary school attendance compulsory). Could also mention things like stalins 'Distinction to Mother Heroines'- mothers who had 10 or more children given money rewards etc. however I countered it with the fact that some rulers were more repressive and reluctant to reform (Alexander III- Russification, land captains and Stalin's show trials and purges etc.) overall although there was progress in social reform, these came with a high social cost in some cases- shows reluctancy of rulers Economic- rulers were not reluctant to introduce reform it helped to modernise economy, enhanced Russia's status- stimulated by developments in industry and agriculture (Alexander III medele'ev tariff, Witte's Great Spurt). Agriculture important- fed workers etc. (emancipation edict under Alexander II- peasants could work on own land, Khrushchev's Virgin Land Scheme increased agricultural output). Challenges it with the fact sometimes rulers were forced to introduce economic reform for example the emancipation was a result of the Crimean War and War Communism wasn't working- led to Kronstadt Rising in 1921 so Lenin had to introduce NEP to quell opposition. Overall I argued that rulers were reluctant to introduce certain reforms as some were more reactionary/ repressive than others but were keen on introduce others that for example boosted economy or met their aims. I concluded that when the ruler's power was threatened they were reluctant to reform.Sorry if I dragged on a bit but if you include these examples and back it up with precise details or statistics you should be on your way to a good grade :smile:
For OCR - could you do paragraphs for the following questions by group - peasants,political groups, workers, minorities etc: 1. assess the view that opposition to russian govt was ineffective in the period 1855-1964. And 2. Aii\stalin/lenin was most effective indealing with opposition? Or does that not count as thematic?
Original post by poshprat
For OCR - could you do paragraphs for the following questions by group - peasants,political groups, workers, minorities etc: 1. assess the view that opposition to russian govt was ineffective in the period 1855-1964. And 2. Aii\stalin/lenin was most effective indealing with opposition? Or does that not count as thematic?

Yep for assessing how effective I did paragraphs by type of opposition (political parties, economic/social - so peasants and workers in other words, and internal opp) and just gave examples of how they were effective / ineffective. I concluded that they were ineffective as mostly they were unsuccessful, and even when they were successful there were limitations e.g 1905 revolution led to Duma but restricted by fundamental laws.

However for the second one at assessing whether an individual was the best at dealing with opp I did paragraphs according to certain characteristics of their rule e.g stalin - use of secret police, use of army, and propaganda. Not really sure if you could apply those themes to other leaders such as AII though as the tsars tend to not have as extreme examples in different ways of dealing with opp compared with stalin or lenin...so maybe in that case you could use type of opposition.
To be honest their isnt a right answer as long as you talk thematically, not chronologically and give an overview of the whole period in terms of that factor your safe. :smile:
Really need help with structuring my historical enquiry, my teacher has not helped at all. My question is "To What Extent Were The Economic Policies of the Communist Regimes More Successful Than Those Of The Tsarist Regimes During The Period 1855-1964?"
Reply 292
Original post by crocker710
Study Help Member of the Month - June 2011Thank-you to everyone who nominated me for this; I do it to help people; to be recognised for it is a brilliant bonus :biggrin:
Tom :smile:
N.B Anyone who was helped by this in the June examinations how did your results come out?? I'd be interested to know :biggrin:

Hi I don't know if I'm too late with this :smile: I'm currently doing a plan for my Edexcel part A coursework and my chosen title is ' How significant was the short term contribution of Nicholas II to the downfall of the Tsarist regime in the years 1904-1917?' .

So far I've got 5 main points: his weak character/inability to rule coupled with Alexandra and Rasputin's damaging influence which made him greatly unpopular, poor decisions such as entering the Russo Japanese war which worsened this, the effects of bloody sunday (the people lost faith altogether in him pretty much?), the october manifesto ie. duma and all that, and the impact of WW1 on the downfall of Nicholas.

Just wanted to know if I was on the right track with these points, whether they're relevant or not/ how I could develop them more, and also if you know of any places to find good contemporary sources/ quotes because I need a minimum of 6 to talk about provenance, and it's proving quite hard to find reputable quotes that were recorded at the time. Thanks in advance :smile:
Hiya,

I have seen that someone else asked about the question on Howfar do you agree that credit for industrializing Russia in the period 1855-1964can be given only to Stalin? I am still struggling on defining themes for this question if anyone has any ideas my teacher unfortunately has not given any guidance for this one?

Original post by Crimsonchilli
"assess the view that the failures of the Provisional Govt were the main factors in enabling lenin and the bolsheviks to seize power"

If got a few ideas so far, obviously mentioning the failure of the PG, Lenin and the Bols, but also mass radicalisation and "events" such as the Kornilov march etc.

cheers. =]

In the context of Russia 1855 to 1955 to what extent were Stalin’s terror methods effective?

I picked this question for my history coursework and I've been told to form judgments, but i don't know how to phrase them, any help would be appreciated!
HeyI am kinda stuck with the question
whether the leaders of Russia were reluctant reformers
I am not sure which themes to use. I was thinking of using different types of reforms such as political reforms, economic reforms, social reforms and military reforms but I am not sure if that will work because I don't really know what to write for the military reforms.

Thank you in advance
Hi tom. I've got the same question and I don't know how to structure my paragraphs. What to include under social economic ext
Brits, I'm surprised that you discuss different kinds of questions. But as if none of you didn't hear that this weekend a new war in the world had begun. It depends of your media resources. For example, before 2010, I never heard about Great African War, and didn't know that it was so serious.
Can someone please link me the OCR HISTORY f966/01 2015 paper
Hi i was wondering if anyone can help my question is 'who was more repressive communists or tsars?' any help would be appreciated thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending