The Student Room Group

Colleges to do a-levels again? help?

im 18 and im looking to enrol into a college to do my a-levels again. I failed my first year and i know im gonna fail my second year. this will be my 3rd attempt and i hope my last.

i dont think i can enrol to sixth form because im too old

does anyone know any colleges in london where i can enrol and do my a-levels.
im kinda stressed because im turning 19 this year and idk what to do, i need to enrol into a college and idk if i need to apply into a 19+ or 18 because technically i'll still be 18 when i start in september but ill be turning 19 after a few months. can anyone help me please?!!!!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
You're not too old, you cn go back to college and do A Levels at any age.

But as you will turn 20 in the second year, you will have to pay for the courses in year 2 most likely.
If you're 18 on entry then you don't have to enrol as a mature student. I'd email admissions in colleges beforehand to ask about their policy. Some don't let you in for A2 and just for AS. you could also look into sitting exams privately if you've completed A2 and don't need further teaching. it could just be that A-levels aren't the right course for you too though. perseverance is a useful quality but so is being grounded in reality
Original post by anongirl123456
im 18 and im looking to enrol into a college to do my a-levels again. I failed my first year and i know im gonna fail my second year. this will be my 3rd attempt and i hope my last.

im kinda stressed because im turning 19 this year and idk what to do, i need to enrol into a college and idk if i need to apply into a 19+ or 18 because technically i'll still be 18 when i start in september but ill be turning 19 after a few months. can anyone help me please?!!!!

As long as you're 18 when you start, you can go to a 6th form college for free. I don't know why people are saying you have to pay, because you don't. It's free for under 19s. When I started college at 16, there were 18yr olds in my class and they didn't pay.
I think you're too old for a conventional 6th form but most 6th form colleges and all normal colleges will definitely accept you, in fact prepare to have some 30somethings in your classes.
You do have to ask yourself why you're failing? Does your college have distractions? As you're in A2 year right now, perhaps look into retaking exams independently and studying at home if you have the willpower..that would only take a year.
You could look into doing a BTEC too? Much more likely to excel at a BTEC than A levels (someone will probably be offended with me saying that, but it is true)
Hope this helped 😬
(edited 8 years ago)
If you've failed twice do you really think you will succeed a third time? If you are determined to then good luck, but if not then you should think about doing something else
Original post by Inexorably
You're not too old, you cn go back to college and do A Levels at any age.

But as you will turn 20 in the second year, you will have to pay for the courses in year 2 most likely.

Wrong. If you start under 19, the whole 2years are free....
When you say you failed, what were your actual grades?
If you achieved at least an E in 'any' of you A levels, this will be classed as having already completed a full Level 3 qualification, which means you cant get funding for another A level or Level 3 BTEC course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bamtutor
When you say you failed, what were your actual grades?
If you achieved at least an E in 'any' of you A levels, this will be classed as having already completed a full Level 3 qualification, which means you cant get funding for another A level or Level 3 BTEC course.

You may be right. So the OP would be better off retaking during a gap year right?
Reply 9
Original post by cherryred90s
Wrong. If you start under 19, the whole 2years are free....

Wrong.

Depends on the qualifications you have already obtained when you enter year 2.

Pleaae dont try to correct me and fail embarrassingly.
Original post by Inexorably
Wrong.

Depends on the qualifications you have already obtained when you enter year 2.

Pleaae dont try to correct me and fail embarrassingly.

haha..what qualification are we talking about? as long as she starts in september aged 18, she won't have to pay. there were a handful of 20yrs olds in my A2 class, they didn't have to pay
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s
haha..what qualification are we talking about? as long as she starts in september aged 18, she won't have to pay. there were a handful of 20yrs olds in my A2 class, they didn't have to pay

But see my earlier comment. If she already has 'any Level 3 full qualification' it won't be free as Inoxerably has said.
Original post by bamtutor
But see my earlier comment. If she already has 'any Level 3 full qualification' it won't be free as Inoxerably has said.

I understand what you said, and that's why I said she'd be better off retaking units in a gap year, but Inoxerably said something about 'when you enter year 2' which is a little misleading
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anongirl123456

If I were you I would not do A levels again because the government is making adjustments to the syllabuses and plus major changes are taking place.

I would just do Btecs, I know this is probably not what you want to hear but Btecs can get you into uni and you don't want to go through the A level hassle and still fail? Also since you will be 18+ education may not be free for you.

So personally, I would not chance doing A levels again because there are more disadvantages to doing them than the advantages under the current new changes about to take place.

I really think you should speak to a career advisor or someone who could offer you more guidance on this.

All in all, the ultimate decision is yours and I do not mean to put you off but give you an insight on what you will be putting yourself through.

I hope things work out. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest