The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2560
Original post by physicsmaths
Sorry to hear that, can you make up for it or resit an exam next year??

Posted from TSR Mobile

No point, IA doesn't mean anything really anyway. I can take all the subjects I want to next year so that's all that matters :smile:

Going to be a busy Summer of catching up...
Original post by alow
No point, IA doesn't mean anything really anyway. I can take all the subjects I want to next year so that's all that matters :smile:

Ah I heard this was the case with maths aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to hear that, can you make up for it or resit an exam next year??

Posted from TSR Mobile

No resits unless you fail (no resits for finalists) but you can be given a discretionary pass if you're unable to take exams. As only finals count to your classification your other years don't matter once you pass. (However people do use terms like triple first for getting firsts each year of your bachelors)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2563
Ah I heard this was the case with maths aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah AFAIK it is. As long as you don't fail a subject I don't think they can do anything other than strongly discourage you from taking it.
Reply 2564
Anyone know what happens about accomodation?
Original post by alow

every year is important as you get a grade for each year separately and no overall grade. so every year counts. Ofc if you do fine in the next two years then you can make clear that IA result is due to exten. circumstances
Original post by Goods
No resits unless you fail (no resits for finalists) but you can be given a discretionary pass if you're unable to take exams. As only finals count to your classification your other years don't matter once you pass. (However people do use terms like triple first for getting firsts each year of your bachelors)

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is incorrect. Every year is your classification. Final year results are just your class for final year. But this doesnt count as your 'degree mark'. It is just one of three..
Reply 2567
Original post by AlfieD
Anyone know what happens about accomodation?

Depends on the college. You'll probably hear something some time after results day.

Original post by HeavisideDelts
every year is important as you get a grade for each year separately and no overall grade. so every year counts. Ofc if you do fine in the next two years then you can make clear that IA result is due to exten. circumstances

Ah okay didn't know that. Yeah I'm definitely going to do better next year, this year was just pretty much everything going wrong all at once. Thanks :smile:
Original post by HeavisideDelts

Surely the final one is the only one anyone cares about
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Surely the final one is the only one anyone cares about

Not necessarily. You apply for internships with your first year results and jobs with your second year results. Most job offers are conditional on a 2:1, rarely/never a 1st and people have been known to get in with a 2:2 even if they had a 2:1 job offer. After your first or second job your degree grade matters much less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
Not necessarily. You apply for internships with your first year results and jobs with your second year results. Most job offers are conditional on a 2:1, rarely/never a 1st and people have been known to get in with a 2:2 even if they had a 2:1 job offer. After your first or second job your degree grade matters much less.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't a Masters 4 years?

Confused by what you'd actually put down on a CV or whatever, do other unis give a class after first year? I thought elsewhere they just weigh different amounts to make a final grade
Isn't a Masters 4 years?

Confused by what you'd actually put down on a CV or whatever, do other unis give a class after first year? I thought elsewhere they just weigh different amounts to make a final grade

I was speaking to a fellow at Trinity about this on an essay competition prize day thing. If I remember rightly, he said when you finish your degree you don't get a certificate saying 'BA [subject] [class]', it just says 'BA [subject]' and you can just use an academic transcript from your college which shows your marks for each year when you apply for a job or something.

I'm pretty sure you'd also get a predicated grade from your DoS or something on the basis of how well you'd done in your exams which you'd use if you were applying for a job.
Isn't a Masters 4 years?

Yes, if your course offers the possibility of a 4th year, such as NatSci, you will have a Masters after 4 years.

It's convention to put your final year's class mark down. But you will find that for the big-name graduate employers (banks, law and consultancy firms, etc.), you will have to provide a breakdown of your module marks for every year.
Original post by camaieu
Yes, if your course offers the possibility of a 4th year, such as NatSci, you will have a Masters after 4 years.

It's convention to put your final year's class mark down. But you will find that for the big-name graduate employers (banks, law and consultancy firms, etc.), you will have to provide a breakdown of your module marks for every year.

Ah I see! Thanks for clearing that up
Original post by camaieu

Not at Cambridge. Almost all degrees at Cambridge are BA including as far as I remember NatSci and of course Economics and then three years after you leave you get an MA. The masters courses such as MPhil are a further year for which you apply separately. You don't get "module marks" in Cambridge in the way that you do at most Russell group universities and most employers understand that you can give tripos grades but don't ask for more details.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
Not at Cambridge. Almost all degrees at Cambridge are BA including as far as I remember NatSci and of course Economics and then three years after you leave you get an MA. The masters courses such as MPhil are a further year for which you apply separately. You don't get "module marks" in Cambridge in the way that you do at most Russell group universities and most employers understand that you can give tripos grades but don't ask for more details.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but the other member was talking about a Masters after 4 years, by which I assumed he was talking about courses such as NatSci that offer the option of a Masters after four years :smile: And I use the term module marks because from experience, other universities tend not to talk about "papers". And on CamSIS, you do get individual marks for each paper, and for internship applications, I've been asked to disclose them.

I do go to Cambridge - I'm relatively knowledgeable about it all. :wink:
Original post by camaieu
Yes, but the other member was talking about a Masters after 4 years, by which I assumed he was talking about courses such as NatSci that offer the option of a Masters after four years :smile: And I use the term module marks because from experience, other universities tend not to talk about "papers". And on CamSIS, you do get individual marks for each paper, and for internship applications, I've been asked to disclose them.

He does too :tongue: (or did)

The whole BA thing is just weird
Original post by camaieu

Also MEng engineers get 3 for the price of 1. BA, MEng and, 2+ (?) years later, MA (Cantab). Same for any of the integrated Masters.

The BA doesn't even state the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Also MEng engineers get 3 for the price of 1. BA, MEng and, 4 years later, MA (Cantab). Same for any of the integrated Masters.

The BA doesn't even state the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemical engineers are accredited aren't they? And get an MEng I think... I've never bothered with the ins and outs of these things lol
Here is me thinking, a degree is a degree 👀

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending