The Student Room Group

19 in 2 months and have no idea where I'm going in life

Hi guys, so I'm going to be 19 in 2 months, and can't go to a uni here in the UK (I have my reasons), and have no idea what degree I want to pursue, except that I want to definitely do a STEM degree. That means I have to study abroad but I have no knowledge on this.. I did ALevels in Maths, Chemistry and History. Can somebody help me please?
Go to the states for college? Or one of our European neighbours ( France, Germany etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by acontium
Go to the states for college? Or one of our European neighbours ( France, Germany etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! Thanks for your response. That's what I'm thinking of doing, do you have any knowledge on studying abroad if you don't speak German for example? And college in the states is uni for us right? It's waaay too expensive there isn't it?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! Thanks for your response. That's what I'm thinking of doing, do you have any knowledge on studying abroad if you don't speak German for example? And college in the states is uni for us right? It's waaay too expensive there isn't it?

You have to speak german to study in germany.
Reply 4
Go Sweden, it's free.
Reply 5
Original post by goodies
You have to speak german to study in germany.

Argh! What a bummer! So there are no English taught degrees? :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by spanker
Go Sweden, it's free.

Thanks mate! Do you have to know the language?
Reply 7
Thanks mate! Do you have to know the language?

When I looked, most of the courses were taught in English, but it doesn't hurt to learn the language of the country you will be learning in.
Reply 8
Original post by spanker
When I looked, most of the courses were taught in English, but it doesn't hurt to learn the language of the country you will be learning in.

Oh that's great, I see what you mean but It would be very difficult for me. Do you know of a few universities that offer STEM degrees in english? Thank you, it's greatly appreciated
I new someone what who was goign to do a chemistry degree in her home country (Denmark), she needed to learn english as her course was taught in english and all the text books were in english.

So you could go to Denmark :tongue:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I new someone what who was goign to do a chemistry degree in her home country (Denmark), she needed to learn english as her course was taught in english and all the text books were in english.

So you could go to Denmark :tongue:

Cool, thanks! Do you know what university it was?
Cool, thanks! Do you know what university it was?

Nope but I think it is generally the case. If it was me I'd be looking at Scandinavian countries.

It was possibly Copenhagen.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Nope but I think it is generally the case. If it was me I'd be looking at Scandinavian countries.

It was possibly Copenhagen.

Cool, thank you! Ideally I was thinking of the Netherlands and Germany, but I'll try Scandinavian countries too!
Reply 13
Original post by spanker

I very much doubt that's true. I know many/most postgraduate courses are in english but not undergraduate.
Original post by goodies
I very much doubt that's true. I know many/most postgraduate courses are in english but not undergraduate.

https://studyinsweden.se/study-information/degree-programmes/bachelors-programmes/

First link.
Reply 15
The Netherlands is a good idea, as they have courses in english and are inexpensive. However they tend to let lots of people in to uni but cull them during their course. Here we're stricter on letting people in and you have to properly mess up to get chucked out.
Original post by jay2233
The Netherlands is a good idea, as they have courses in english and are inexpensive. However they tend to let lots of people in to uni but cull them during their course. Here we're stricter on letting people in and you have to properly mess up to get chucked out.

Thank you for the response. What do you mean by they 'cull them during their course' please? And do you think they have STEM courses in English?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending