The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
How come you were there?

:lol: it's quite funny, make them think you're really stupid and then be like, I'll see you next yearrrr

I didn't know I would be applying at the time of the previous one last year so I didn't go. It was still useful, as I thought it would be (and I'll take any excuse I can to go to Cambridge...)

Application process stuff in the lectures was a bore though :laugh:
Original post by Elcor
I didn't know I would be applying at the time of the previous one last year so I didn't go. It was still useful, as I thought it would be (and I'll take any excuse I can to go to Cambridge...)

Application process stuff in the lectures was a bore though :laugh:

Fair enough, which college?

I couldn't even deal with that last year :rofl: had to walk out. Didn't even last half of it, we ran away
Original post by Elcor
Spent the day pretending to be a potential applicant at the Cambridge open day :cool:

Think you need to get a grip mate
Original post by newblood
Think you need to get a grip mate

I wasn't the only one - loads of people started to leave when the course information stopped and the lecturer began talking about the admissions process :tongue:
Original post by Elcor
I wasn't the only one - loads of people started to leave when the course information stopped and the lecturer began talking about the admissions process :tongue:

Most people would have known it all already from family/excessive internet research (*cough cough* fish).
Original post by Goods
Most people would have known it all already from family/excessive internet research (*cough cough* fish).

I'd say that those types of people would stay, just in case the lecturer said anything they didn't already know
Fair enough, which college?

I couldn't even deal with that last year :rofl: had to walk out. Didn't even last half of it, we ran away

I'm talking about a departmental one, not a college.

I'm so glad I already had an offer though. Throughout the open day you learn how fantastic studying at Cambridge would be, then they hit you with the fact it's very unlikely you'll actually get in...

My mind was blown by the University Library too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods

:lol: I actually didn't do excessive research or anything, all I knew was I needed UMS!

Didn't see what else could be important, plus we had someone come and speak to us before so

And definitely not family, I quote my dad

"Cardiff university is better than Cambridge"

Original post by Elcor
I'm talking about a departmental one, not a college.

I'm so glad I already had an offer though. Throughout the open day you learn how fantastic studying at Cambridge would be, then they hit you with the fact it's very unlikely you'll actually get in...

My mind was blown by the University Library too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aren't they normally based at a college?

I hate libraries lol, had this conversation on a different thread.

I haven't even seen the labs or anything :eek:
And definitely not family, I quote my dad
"Cardiff university is better than Cambridge"

Well I guess he's Welsh. Lol.

Maybe you could join the male voice choir at Christ's. That would impress him :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Well I guess he's Welsh. Lol.

Maybe you could join the male voice choir at Christ's. That would impress him :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

More he's from Bangladesh and wants me as close as possible :rofl:

Although, even my mum who was born here and that doesn't really see any of it as a big deal. Not even a well done :indiff:

Considering my parents don't even have GCSEs I think I've done okay! I think just going to any university would have been a big change for them tbh
Have any of you heard back from your colleges since you firmed? Should I have heard from them at all?

I know some people have received reading lists
Original post by EHZ17
Have any of you heard back from your colleges since you firmed? Should I have heard from them at all?

I know some people have received reading lists

Usually not until A2 exam results are out in August.
More he's from Bangladesh and wants me as close as possible :rofl:

Although, even my mum who was born here and that doesn't really see any of it as a big deal. Not even a well done :indiff:

Considering my parents don't even have GCSEs I think I've done okay! I think just going to any university would have been a big change for them tbh

Hat off to you. Very well done! (Just voicing what your mum must be thinking in her heart. :wink:)

p.s.
So, did you go to the library when you went to your nun's, btw? :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Hat off to you. Very well done! (Just voicing what your mum must be thinking in her heart. :wink:)

p.s.
So, did you go to the library when you went to your nun's, btw? :tongue:

:mmm: she isn't the most open with her feelings, can't say I am either but that's probably a result of that.

I ended up going quite late, and I think libraries close at like 5, so didn't have time. And didn't go yesterday (Saturdays, is Nan's house day)

So I think I'll go in a couple weeks :ahee: wait for fasting to be over
:mmm: she isn't the most open with her feelings, can't say I am either but that's probably a result of that.

I ended up going quite late, and I think libraries close at like 5, so didn't have time. And didn't go yesterday (Saturdays, is Nan's house day)

So I think I'll go in a couple weeks :ahee: wait for fasting to be over

I'm sure she's very proud of you. I mean, who wouldn't?
Maybe she's a bit scared she may lose you to the world she'd not very familiar with?

Not sure if Christ does a similar thing or not, but the college my daughter went invite all the freshers' parents to the special welcome luncheon with the Master and academic staff about a month after the matriculation. (= about the time most students settle in their new life) They do it so that the parents, especially the ones who're not very familiar with Cambridge (or any university), can feel more assured and relaxed about their children's new life at the college. After the lunch the parents will have a chance to 're-unite' with their son/daughter to catch up/walk around in the college. it always seems very successful.
There're other colleges who does a similar thing. (but not all, though) So if Christ does it, make sure your parents come to join it. Hopefully your dad'll concede Cambridge may be almost as good as Cardiff. Almost.....:tongue:

lol it must be the worst season to have Ramadan. The sunset is so late!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm sure she's very proud of you. I mean, who wouldn't?
Maybe she's a bit scared she may lose you to the world she'd not very familiar with?

Not sure if Christ does a similar thing or not, but the college my daughter went invite all the freshers' parents to the special welcome luncheon with the Master and academic staff about a month after the matriculation. (= about the time most students settle in their new life) They do it so that the parents, especially the ones who're not very familiar with Cambridge (or any university), can feel more assured and relaxed about their children's new life at the college. After the lunch the parents will have a chance to 're-unite' with their son/daughter to catch up/walk around in the college. it always seems very successful.
There're other colleges who does a similar thing. (but not all, though) So if Christ does it, make sure your parents come to join it. Hopefully your dad'll concede Cambridge may be almost as good as Cardiff. Almost.....:tongue:

lol it must be the worst season to have Ramadan. The sunset is so late!!!

I suppose so.

:lol: not sure if I'd bring my dad to that, maybe mother. I have an unusual relationship, hard to explain. We don't really talk, or she talks and I don't really reply, it's bizarre.

Yeah, it isn't too bad though tbh. More not being able to properly enjoy the heat! Roast dinner tonight yum

I just want August to hurry up!!! Want to go on holiday
I suppose so.

:lol: not sure if I'd bring my dad to that, maybe mother. I have an unusual relationship, hard to explain. We don't really talk, or she talks and I don't really reply, it's bizarre.

Yeah, it isn't too bad though tbh. More not being able to properly enjoy the heat! Roast dinner tonight yum

I just want August to hurry up!!! Want to go on holiday

I really hope Christ does hosts a similar occasion as I know many colleges don't. (I'm sure Christ's AT will come here soon to let us know if they do. :biggrin:) If they haven't done it before, they should! :tongue:
There were some couples at our table who said their sons were the first in the family to go to university and had been very nervous about the prospect especially it's because Cambridge, but having the occasion like that really helped them to feel much better and less worried.
Tell your mum to drag your dad along!!! :biggrin:
I really hope Christ does hosts a similar occasion as I know many colleges don't. (I'm sure Christ's AT will come here soon to let us know if they do. :biggrin:) If they haven't done it before, they should! :tongue:
There were some couples at our table who said their sons were the first in the family to go to university and had been very nervous about the prospect especially it's because Cambridge, but having the occasion like that really helped them to feel much better and less worried.

Who knows, maybe this will make them host such an event!

I think their worries would be more to do with me dying :mmm: I'd rather starve than eat food I don't like, and I need to be fed and reminded to eat, or I'll just have like a meal or two

And limited self catering facilities might lead to some malnutrition lmao

Lol my dad will go mental if he goes to cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending