The Student Room Group

What is the hardest A-level you've done and what is the easiest (by comparison)?

The question is really in the title. I've seen loads of people suggest A-levels that are easy and "everyone should do" and I've often seen those same A-levels being described as "Hitler's invention". So I was just wondering what your opinions are.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lemushrooms
The question is really in the title. I've seen loads of people suggest A-levels that are easy and "everyone should do" and I've often seen those same A-levels being described as "Hitler's invention". So I was just wondering what your opinions are.

Good question... I did 5 A2's at a sixth form college in Winchester, the college is hard enough as it is.

The easiest A level I did was ICT, purely because all you had to do was learn the past papers as the questions resurfaced every year!

However, from friends and not my own experience - it's physics - every one of my friends were predicted A's and came out with U's and the same with a few of the Maths exams.

Kath :smile:
Reply 2
Hardest; Chemistry / Maths
Easiest; Psychology

I think it was more I enjoyed Psychology therefore found it a lot easier to learn whereas chemistry I hated the idea of going to a lesson
Reply 3
Original post by Southampton Solent Uni Student Ambassador
Good question... I did 5 A2's at a sixth form college in Winchester, the college is hard enough as it is.

The easiest A level I did was ICT, purely because all you had to do was learn the past papers as the questions resurfaced every year!

However, from friends and not my own experience - it's physics - every one of my friends were predicted A's and came out with U's and the same with a few of the Maths exams.

Kath :smile:

wow 5 A levels! That's impressive. Yeah I heard the grade boundaries for the physics exams were really high for AQA. What A levels are you doing beside ICT and physics?
Reply 4
The hardest I did was English lit, and the easiest i did was classical civilisations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wow 5 A levels! That's impressive. Yeah I heard the grade boundaries for the physics exams were really high for AQA. What A levels are you doing beside ICT and physics?

I didn't do physics, I actually did Media studies, ICT, General Studies, Business Studies and English Literature.

What about you?

:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Klatie
Hardest; Chemistry / Maths
Easiest; Psychology

I think it was more I enjoyed Psychology therefore found it a lot easier to learn whereas chemistry I hated the idea of going to a lesson

Most of my friends found chemistry the most intense bc apparently there is a huge workload. I'm thinking of doing psychology would you say it's more like bio or chem in content?
Maths easiest
Physics hardest
But AS only
what is a U grade?
Reply 9
Original post by motioncat
The hardest I did was English lit, and the easiest i did was classical civilisations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm considering English Lit for my AS levels. What did you think was the most difficult part of the subject, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 10

So I've done AS levels twice and failed or not done up to my standard which has been quite disheartening. im 18 now and i really want to go to university to greater my skills, come out with a decent degree, make my parents a little proud and myself and just for the experience!!

I'm thinking about doing BTEC Business Level 3 extended course which is 2 years (which is meant to be equivalent to 3 A levels but many ppl argue this) and then to also do A Level Maths with it because i honestly do enjoy it and prepared to put the work in to get all Distinctions and hopefully a grade A or B in maths. Do you think its a good idea to do both bare in mind ive already done AS maths and got a high D as it would maybe make me more attractive to uni's. i want to do a business and management degree maybe at Nottingham University or go somewhere like Sheffield im not looking to get into amazing uni's but nor do i wanna go to just any meh uni if that makes sense. Advice?

should i do BTEC business level 3 with A level Maths or should i do a foundation Degree or any other suggestions. i was also thinking about AAT qualifications for accountancy as a backup???

Original post by Zain-A
what is a U grade?

A "U" grade is the lowest grade you can get. It basically translates to "ungradeable". It's like a fail.
Maths hardest
Psychology easiest

(AS)
Reply 13
Hardest: Definitely Physics!!! and maybe Chemistry but I think with Chemistry I did understand the concept but my teacher wouldnt teach half of the content properly so I found it tricky sometimes
Easiest: Maths but then again I enjoy it so it might be just me :smile:
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Maths easiest
Physics hardest
But AS only

I was always told maths was the hardest subject at as/a levels. But that must be bc my school is mostly literature-based and everyone hates maths lol
Reply 15
i've just finished my AS year so

easiest - history
hardest - english lit

i just despise english lit with a passion and because it didn't come naturally to me so i struggled all year to get good grades
Original post by Myuna
Hardest: Definitely Physics!!! and maybe Chemistry but I think with Chemistry I did understand the concept but my teacher wouldnt teach half of the content properly so I found it tricky sometimes
Easiest: Maths but then again I enjoy it so it might be just me :smile:

I absolutely hate physics. I agree with what you mean by "understanding the concept". In physics it's mostly trying to imagine things rather than having a written diagram explaining what everything is so you can actually picture what you're learning
Original post by bdlands
i've just finished my AS year so

easiest - history
hardest - english lit

i just despise english lit with a passion and because it didn't come naturally to me so i struggled all year to get good grades

I always thought history was harder than English lit bc you have to remember so many dates and names. What exam board did you do for history?
I also did 5. Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and biology.
Easiest: maths
Hardest: chemistry
I'm considering English Lit for my AS levels. What did you think was the most difficult part of the subject, if you don't mind me asking?

I think it was the jump from gcse to a level. I got a* in English lit for gcse but so much more was expected from me at as. Lots of my friends flew by fine but I was really struggling with it. The grading is pretty strict but I think you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest