The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone else get very strange marks in French? I got a B in a paper I've never before missed the A* in and at the same time full marks in my speaking, it doesn't feel right
Original post by draculina
Did anyone else get very strange marks in French? I got a B in a paper I've never before missed the A* in and at the same time full marks in my speaking, it doesn't feel right

Yep :/

Unit 1: A
Unit 2: A
Unit 3: A(*)
Unit 4: U

Hmm...
Original post by cp1996
Yep :/

Unit 1: A
Unit 2: A
Unit 3: A(*)
Unit 4: U

Hmm...

Is this edexcel? That's exactly the pattern my results have! It didn't cost you your place did it?
Is this edexcel? That's exactly the pattern my results have! It didn't cost you your place did it?

Yeah, looks kinda out of place aha... and nah I didn't need it for my offer, wbu?
Yeah! I think the literature and arts question has been interpreted in a lot of different ways by different examiners...I didn't either, but I'm annoyed because I really wanted an A* in French. I think I'm gonna get it remarked.
Original post by Gaiaphage
I thought I'd seen it somewhere but I just googled it and maybe I'm making it up, I couldn't find it anywhere! :P

We do have a pretty snazzy website for this year though... I've heard Sidney is well known for its great May Balls relative to its size

Original post by matwx
Hi, I'm on Sidney's may ball committee for this year. I don't think that the thing about John's is true (at least, I haven't heard anything about it!). However, you are correct about our excellent may ball reputation. It's a lot for our team this year to keep up with! The website you linked to is the one from 2014's may ball. There will be a new one later this academic year :smile:

nnniiiiicccceeeee
Yeah! I think the literature and arts question has been interpreted in a lot of different ways by different examiners...I didn't either, but I'm annoyed because I really wanted an A* in French. I think I'm gonna get it remarked.

I think everyone in my class took the question differently, wasn't really the best :/ better grade would've been nice but I'm just relieved I got in :biggrin:
Original post by matwx
...You're lucky to have a Sidney ball in your first year, it's going to be the only one for me during my degree!

I'll get 3 :biggrin:
I'll get 3 :biggrin:

If you're a medic though, you may not get to go when you're at clinical school. :frown:
Is anyone going to those Cambridge meet up events?!
Original post by MagicJigsaw
Is anyone going to those Cambridge meet up events?!

I might just because there's one literally around the corner from my house.
Original post by matwx
You're lucky to have a Sidney ball in your first year, it's going to be the only one for me during my degree!

At magdalene those who had the biennial ball in their second year went back the year after they graduated; we had special access to tickets in the same way as current undergraduates. Do you have no similar system? Because if not that seems a little unfair.
Original post by Helenia
If you're a medic though, you may not get to go when you're at clinical school. :frown:

Why not?! :O

I'll still have 1st and 3rd year though luckily
Why not?! :O

I'll still have 1st and 3rd year though luckily

Just the way term dates work - they may have improved it from my day, but IIRC I was on placement in 4th year (though did sneakily manage to work Clare Ball anyway :wink:), away on elective in 5th year and mid-exams in 6th year. I know they have changed some of the structure of terms and exams more recently though, so you might still be able to go.
Original post by paradoxicalme
A*A*A*A for me! Also managed an A* in lit with full UMS this year, which is absolutely unbelievable as in I never believed it would happen :tongue: Got full UMS in maths A2, an A* in psychology and a mid A in RS (which I'm alright with, although it's weird that the 3 of us who were all predicted A*s in RS ended up with mid-low As). I guess I'll be seeing you around in October :biggrin:

I have so much reading to do now, what have you decided to read? I thought I'd tackle medieval literature now, although I'm not sure whether to just read translations (thoughts?)
Reply 3535
Original post by TimmonaPortella
At magdalene those who had the biennial ball in their second year went back the year after they graduated; we had special access to tickets in the same way as current undergraduates. Do you have no similar system? Because if not that seems a little unfair.

I'm pretty sure there's probably something like that as well, but I don't think it'll be the same after I've left. My first experience of may week was that it was an incredible and well-deserved end to a very intense year.
Original post by matwx
I'm pretty sure there's probably something like that as well, but I don't think it'll be the same after I've left. My first experience of may week was that it was an incredible and well-deserved end to a very intense year.

Usually you'll have some of your friends still there doing their 4th year or clinical if medicine or masters, etc. and they can easily get a ticket for you if needed.
Thanks so much, congratulations to you too! Yeah I feel exactly the same, I got 27 marks less than my mock in Biol 5 and I thought the exam went really well. I'm getting it remarked but haven't heard back yet - I'd already asked before I heard about Cambridge. Strangely, my friend who usually got very similar marks to me ended up with full UMS despite bursting into tears after the exam...
I'm also getting the script back to check it scanned properly (just for peace of mind rather than an actual concern) but that's not back yet either.

Can I ask which college you're going to? :smile: Sidney sussex don't usually specify A* in Bio/Chem for medicine but this year they did, I wish I'd applied to one that didn't to save the stress! :wink:

See, this convinces me that they definitely botched the marking in some of the papers! I got full UMS in my biology exams last year and I think I was one of the only ones to do so at my school and now I've got a B equivalent at A2? And I'm sure you have a similar story. I may get the script back if my remark comes out unsatisfactory and perhaps appeal again. Have you checked the official mark schemes? I can link you to them if you'd like. I checked the Unit 5 one and it seems (from what I vaguely remember) that the points are the same as what I put. I also checked the essay scheme and I got 4/5 topics so in theory, my mark couldn't have been that bad! Anyway, good luck for your remark, I'm hoping it's successful! (I'm remarking too haha)

Of course you can ask :wink: I'm going to Downing! I visited Sidney and I really liked it, considered applying there! Yeah, that really sucked for you, until they let you in of course :biggrin: Fortunately Downing didn't specify which I'm happy about but quite surprised considering I didn't think I was a strong candidate :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dt003
Trinity College posted a UMS score form with the confirmation letter. I've met the offer and been accepted. Why do they want my UMS scores?

For admissions processes. The data helps them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dt003
Trinity College posted a UMS score form with the confirmation letter. I've met the offer and been accepted. Why do they want my UMS scores?

For this, probably.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

You'll be asked to show them the certificates (or the copies of) of your exam results from your exam board/s later, too. That's more as a proof what you stated the exam results truthfully.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending