The Student Room Group

Which weight to go for?

Any experienced lifters want to help a girl out?

I'm looking to get into weight training a bit more, I'm sorted for my lower body but my upper body is causing me some issues because I am starting with pretty much no upper body strength at all!

I've got a good little routine planned, but I'm not sure which weights to go for for some of the exercises and I don't really want to look like a dick in the gym sitting trying to figure out the best weight for ages. The other exercises I'm doing for my upper body are free weights, and I'm using 3-5kg dumbbells for those, but I feel like the following exercises are ones that I could probably go heavier on.

Any advice on which weight a beginner (female) with very little upper body strength should for for the following exercises?

Lat pull downs
Tricep pushdowns
Vertical seated rows

I'm aiming for 3 sets of 10 in each as a starting point, then hoping to work up to higher weights/less reps as my fitness and strength improve.
Original post by GoingToBurst

I'm looking to get into weight training a bit more, I'm sorted for my lower body but my upper body is causing me some issues because I am starting with pretty much no upper body strength at all!

I've got a good little routine planned, but I'm not sure which weights to go for for some of the exercises and I don't really want to look like a dick in the gym sitting trying to figure out the best weight for ages. The other exercises I'm doing for my upper body are free weights, and I'm using 3-5kg dumbbells for those, but I feel like the following exercises are ones that I could probably go heavier on.

Any advice on which weight a beginner (female) with very little upper body strength should for for the following exercises?

Lat pull downs
Tricep pushdowns
Vertical seated rows

I'm aiming for 3 sets of 10 in each as a starting point, then hoping to work up to higher weights/less reps as my fitness and strength improve.

No one can tell you a weight to start with, this is something you have to experiment with in the gym and find out. Just pick a weight you think you can handle and if you can't complete a set of 10 and its too difficult then lower the weight and try again....
Original post by GoingToBurst

Lat pull downs
Tricep pushdowns
Vertical seated rows

It is very difficult to suggest what weights you are going to start with the accessory exercises.

You could try start with the lowest weight (or the one you think you are most comfortable with) for each of the exercise, and then if that feels too comfortable just increase to the next weight next time you do that exercise.

E.g.
Lat pull downs 3x10x20kg
(that felt easy)
Lat pull downs 3x10x25kg

However, I have seen most girls do 40kg with the lat pulldown.

Triceps pushdown is a lot heavier, so you probably want to start with the lowest weight.
Experiment.
Original post by trapking
No one can tell you a weight to start with, this is something you have to experiment with in the gym and find out. Just pick a weight you think you can handle and if you can't complete a set of 10 and its too difficult then lower the weight and try again....

Yeah that makes sense, I just wondered if there was a weight that anyone would have recommended going for, thanks.
Original post by kingquang
It is very difficult to suggest what weights you are going to start with the accessory exercises.

You could try start with the lowest weight (or the one you think you are most comfortable with) for each of the exercise, and then if that feels too comfortable just increase to the next weight next time you do that exercise.

E.g.
Lat pull downs 3x10x20kg
(that felt easy)
Lat pull downs 3x10x25kg

However, I have seen most girls do 40kg with the lat pulldown.

Triceps pushdown is a lot heavier, so you probably want to start with the lowest weight.

That's great, thank you very much! I'll probably start with 20kg for lat pull downs and try 10kg for tricep pushdowns. I'll probably go for 20kg with the seated rows too and then just adjust from there. I know I'll have to adjust my weights until I've found a good routine, I just kind of needed a rough starting point. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 5
With cable machines it varies widely, like I can do totally different weights on the two different brands of machines in my gym

I'm not sure what you are doing with 3-5kg DBs but you might want to consider posting for routine advice

Either way read the FAQ at the top of the fitness page, it's meant for noobs like you so you'll probably find some of it useful
Original post by BKS
With cable machines it varies widely, like I can do totally different weights on the two different brands of machines in my gym

I'm not sure what you are doing with 3-5kg DBs but you might want to consider posting for routine advice

Either way read the FAQ at the top of the fitness page, it's meant for noobs like you so you'll probably find some of it useful

I've got a routine down and approved by a trainer, I'm just incredibly weak and can't complete it with anything higher than those weights right now.

Quick Reply

Latest