The Student Room Group

GCSE to AS Maths bridging...

Hey guys:smile:

My first post on TSR and this forum, although I'm sure there will be many more in the next 2 yrs:biggrin:

I was wondering whether any AS maths students or people like me who have just finished GCSEs and are going on to study maths at AS have any advice for bridging the gap between GCSE and AS, which by all accounts seems to be quite a leap...:s-smilie:

I got 190/200 in my GCSE exam and have bought 2 bridging books, but I'm not really finding them too helpful, so I was wondering what everyone else did/ has been doing.

Thank you:wink:
Reply 1
I honestly don't think it's such a big jump, the content may be harder but your teacher will take it slowly as everyone is in the same position, I think the main difference is having to think a lot harder about questions before realising what you have to do, it's not as simple as applying methods to straight-forward questions.
I'd just say read up on A Level topics if you demolished GCSE Maths! Bridging work is aimed for people who have particular weaknesses in certain areas, or got below an A in GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by Alex621
I honestly don't think it's such a big jump, the content may be harder but your teacher will take it slowly as everyone is in the same position, I think the main difference is having to think a lot harder about questions before realising what you have to do, it's not as simple as applying methods to straight-forward questions.

Thank you! Really reassuring as people make it out as if its pretty much impossible!
Reply 4
Original post by AnIndianGuy
I'd just say read up on A Level topics if you demolished GCSE Maths! Bridging work is aimed for people who have particular weaknesses in certain areas, or got below an A in GCSE.

Great idea- my school didn't set anything but reading up on the spec is always a great place to start! Thank you:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by rupey123
Hey guys:smile:

My first post on TSR and this forum, although I'm sure there will be many more in the next 2 yrs:biggrin:

I was wondering whether any AS maths students or people like me who have just finished GCSEs and are going on to study maths at AS have any advice for bridging the gap between GCSE and AS, which by all accounts seems to be quite a leap...:s-smilie:

I got 190/200 in my GCSE exam and have bought 2 bridging books, but I'm not really finding them too helpful, so I was wondering what everyone else did/ has been doing.

Thank you:wink:

It is a bit late now, given we are at the end of August but it is worth revising anything to do with "high end algebra" from GSCE.

Any of the standard booklets "Bridge the Gap" are also good
Reply 6
Thank you! Really reassuring as people make it out as if its pretty much impossible!

The only topic I felt as though I couldn't do was the one which I missed the lessons for and never bothered to catch up with :colonhash: As long as you do all the work your teacher sets, you should be fine :smile:
Hi does anyone have any good websites/ anything that would be helpful for the a level bridging work? My school has given me Maths booklets to complete but some subjects like Venn Diagrams are new so I need to learn prior to answering the questions
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm
It is a bit late now, given we are at the end of August but it is worth revising anything to do with "high end algebra" from GSCE.

Any of the standard booklets "Bridge the Gap" are also good

Thank you- I've actually been working few a couple of the booklets but found that they were just basically GCSE stuff, so looking at the high end algebra sounds like a great idea:biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Alex621
The only topic I felt as though I couldn't do was the one which I missed the lessons for and never bothered to catch up with :colonhash: As long as you do all the work your teacher sets, you should be fine :smile:

Thanks for your help, I definitely will:biggrin:
Thank you- I've actually been working few a couple of the booklets but found that they were just basically GCSE stuff, so looking at the high end algebra sounds like a great idea:biggrin:

Look at the A* topics like surds, factorising, quadratics etc.

Sketching quadratics becomes more important than drawing them so think about how to link graphs to solving quadratics.

I'm surprised your school didn't set holiday homework - we do!
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
Look at the A* topics like surds, factorising, quadratics etc.

Sketching quadratics becomes more important than drawing them so think about how to link graphs to solving quadratics.

I'm surprised your school didn't set holiday homework - we do!

Yeah, most schools do so I was a bit surprised too, although I think they were sort of relying on us to use our initiative and start working more independently! Thanks for the help, thats a good idea as those topics seem to be the ones which are most important at A- Level:smile:
I too didn't find it to be too much of a gap. In my Cores I just did all of my homework, revised well, and learnt the very basics of the cores early on. Namely Differentiation & Integration
Reply 13
Original post by Cascadess
I too didn't find it to be too much of a gap. In my Cores I just did all of my homework, revised well, and learnt the very basics of the cores early on. Namely Differentiation & Integration

Thanks so much! Think I will do the same too:smile:
Reply 14
Make sure all of your A/A* work is on point! People make a big deal about how much of a gap there is, I can promise you it really isn't that hard. By the way, if I were you I would strongly consider Further Maths :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much! Think I will do the same too:smile:

No problem, I also found it helped me to learn the set equations and how to use them as fast as possible once being taught. Things like Bionomial expansion equations and the trapezium rule :biggrin:

Good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest