The Student Room Group

My AS grades and realistic uni choices

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joshb873
During AS I got BBBC and applied for Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews an Sheffield University for History. Received offers from them all.

lies
Original post by P!ATD
I got ABBC, and was wondering which universities I have a plausible chance of getting an offer from, for Law LLB.

Would such universities as Nottingham, Warwick and York be conceivable options, or am I an unlikely candidate?

All help greatly appreciated, thanks.

With or without the conditional offers, as long as you make the grades, you will eventually make it.
Quick anecdote, I have a friend who wanted to study Law in London. There's a bunch of low, mid and high tier unis (no offence) in London that offer Law LLB. In year 12, his AS grades died a horrible death. Don't remember them but he said they were terrible. He went into A2 year13 and he got 2 A's and 2 other grades.
He really wanted to get into the SOAS LLB programme but got rejected. he had conditional offers from 3 other mid and low tier unis. but he didnt settle. he retook a third A2 year, reapplied to SOAS in his 3rd year. got an offer, smashed his Alevels, and got in.
he says that he is so glad he didnt go to a uni he didnt want to just for the sake of learning Law.
He doesn't even mind that he was one year behind his mates because it didnt mean much anyway.
Original post by P!ATD
I got ABBC, and was wondering which universities I have a plausible chance of getting an offer from, for Law LLB.

Would such universities as Nottingham, Warwick and York be conceivable options, or am I an unlikely candidate?

All help greatly appreciated, thanks.

I got ABBD

got rejected from Warwick but given an offer from York, which i firmed and met :smile:

When i emailed Warwick for feedback they were quite abrupt and a bit pretentious, they said 'like we state, we recruit only those who demonstrate persistent academic excellence, so not being AAAA is pretty much a write off for Warwick. Though it depends what you do, i did History and Politics, but if you do something like social policy or something not as in demand then you have a greater chance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ivybridge
Do you not think it's fair to say, though, that you're the one in a million who gets that shot? Plus, most schools wouldn't even allow you to go for Cambridge with those AS' - mine certainly wouldn't.

Well done to you anyway, pal!

I didn't accept Cambridge's offer anyway, but the main reason they probably sent me an offer was due to me being literally a few UMS away from the A boundary, so achieving A*'s and A's at A2 was very possible and likely, given that's what happened :P
Original post by EdCohen
lies

What would be the point in that
Original post by AverageExcellence
I got ABBD

got rejected from Warwick but given an offer from York, which i firmed and met :smile:

I think the Warwick rejection might be because they say they require at least a C in the subject you drop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfhound
I think the Warwick rejection might be because they say they require at least a C in the subject you drop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well i did 5 As, since Critical thinking counts and i got a B in that in my AS in the second year, so i got AAAb overall but still rejected, it was in maths also, and my History was 190/200 UMS, Law was 2 UMS off an A and Economics was like 2 also, I was pretty bummed because i had a clash on my exam time table and I finished one paper and was expected to sit another one immediately after the 2 hour paper id just sat, didn't even get a chance to get out of my seat for water or a walk around, so i know that screwed me on my first law attempt sadly :/ though york was a great choice don't regret it one bit, its history department is just as good as Warwicks, i know a few on my course who turned down Warwick for York, basically if you want to do Modern history go Warwick but if you want a spread then go York, since Warwick don't do any history before 1800 and you must take a language course as part of your degree whereas at york it is optional.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well i did 5 As, since Critical thinking counts and i got a B in that in my AS in the second year, so i got AAAb overall but still rejected,

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that critical thinking wasn't accepted as an AS grade? (I didn't actually do it so I'm not sure but I have a vague recollection of reading that somewhere)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that critical thinking wasn't accepted as an AS grade? (I didn't actually do it so I'm not sure but I have a vague recollection of reading that somewhere)

Posted from TSR Mobile

General studies is disregarded completely, but CT is accepted only as AS (A2 it is also disregarded)
Well i did 5 As, since Critical thinking counts and i got a B in that in my AS in the second year, so i got AAAb overall but still rejected, it was in maths also, and my History was 190/200 UMS, Law was 2 UMS off an A and Economics was like 2 also, I was pretty bummed because i had a clash on my exam time table and I finished one paper and was expected to sit another one immediately after the 2 hour paper id just sat, didn't even get a chance to get out of my seat for water or a walk around, so i know that screwed me on my first law attempt sadly :/ though york was a great choice don't regret it one bit, its history department is just as good as Warwicks, i know a few on my course who turned down Warwick for York, basically if you want to do Modern history go Warwick but if you want a spread then go York, since Warwick don't do any history before 1800 and you must take a language course as part of your degree whereas at york it is optional.

That does sound annoying though.
But York is great anyway! So well done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just googled the entry requirements for LLB at Warwick and on their website it says
"General Studies/Critical Thinking General Studies/Critical Thinking normally excluded from offers"
But I do agree that OP might have trouble with Warwick due to AS grades.
Not the end of the world though, there are plenty of other great unis like York, and I've heard the atmospheres of the two unis are fairly similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by P!ATD
Yes, I doubt I'd be able to get an offer from Warwick for law, but I am really liking what I see of York. What were the entry requirements of your course, and is it in high demand (and how high compared to law)?

The Law department is certainly in high demand at any of the top 20 departments not gonna lie, i think they do interviews, but for my course it was a hard AAA no ifs no buts (History courses were AAA, I met a person who applied for History and Politics, missed out and was offered straight politics (AAB) but was not given any leniency by the history department). That said York humanities departments are in very high demand also so id say its about the same (though you don't get an interview for History courses).

Yorks Law department has jumped considerably in the league tables too now to is it definitely being nationally recognised, that said however York is one of those Unis that will give you a chance to meet the offer, so id wager you will stand a good chance in getting an offer but they won't budge if you fail to meet it, which by the sounds of it is good for you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
WOW I basically got exactly the same grades last year! what subjects where you doing?
Original post by P!ATD
what grades did you achieve at AS (if you don't mind my query, of course)?

I don't particularly want to go into specifics but... my AS results were worse than yours :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
can anyone give me any unis for psychology? i think im likely to get ABB overall
I just googled the entry requirements for LLB at Warwick and on their website it says
"General Studies/Critical Thinking General Studies/Critical Thinking normally excluded from offers"
But I do agree that OP might have trouble with Warwick due to AS grades.
Not the end of the world though, there are plenty of other great unis like York, and I've heard the atmospheres of the two unis are fairly similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never chose to do CT to be fair just one of those ones they forced you to take to make the 6th form look good sadly. I think Warwick have got an overly elitist view of themselves, what annoyed me the most is how they charge 50 quid 'administration fee' if you apply to them for a masters, i can understand the central london unis doing it and oxbridge because of the sheer volume of applicants they get which will help narrow down only serious people, but Warwick i don't think deserves to charge, especially when Durham and St Andrews (both ranked better for many courses) do not.
Also when my teachers were advising me about unis that are likely to ask for lower grades or let you slip a grade from your offer they specifically mentioned Leicester and Southampton as well as the ones you suggest :smile:
Not sure what the unis are like tbh, but I've heard good things about the teaching at Southampton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never chose to do CT to be fair just one of those ones they forced you to take to make the 6th form look good sadly. I think Warwick have got an overly elitist view of themselves, what annoyed me the most is how they charge 50 quid 'administration fee' if you apply to them for a masters, i can understand the central london unis doing it and oxbridge because of the sheer volume of applicants they get which will help narrow down only serious people, but Warwick i don't think deserves to charge, especially when Durham and St Andrews (both ranked better for many courses) do not.

I didn't actually know they did that!
And they're a good uni, but maybe not quite as amazing as their demands seem :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by P!ATD
Oh right, thank you for the info. Anyway, are you happy at York? :smile:

I've just graduated, but yeah it was a very good experience, it is what you make of it though, like any uni some professors such and some module are horrible but if you are generally passionate about the course then you will like it, id advise not looking directly at the brand of a uni name but looking at the breakdown of the course.

if for example Sheffield offered a much more hands on course with subject matter much more up your street and Warwick offered you a place but was not exactly what you wanted, then go Sheffield, course content offers you a much better chance of getting the 1st which is more important than name once you get into the top 10 band so to speak. There isn't much between them outside Oxbridge.
Oh I forgot to mention the course structure too! Okay so for me this was fairly important...
As you probably know, in law you have modules that you must learn (eg constitutional law) and optional modules (which can seem a little out field eg gender studies and law).

Here's the important part to look at:
Some unis do a couple of compulsory modules a year, plus optional. They do this for all three years of your course.
Some unis (and I preferred this) do not. Instead, they do all compulsory modules in year one and two, with no optional, and then you choose all optional modules for your last year. For me, this seems more sensible because your final year is arguably the most important and if you're doing modules you enjoy you're likely to get better results at the end of it.

But anyway, I'd advise looking at which unis do it which way (more are starting to pick up on the latter recently I think) before you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending