The Student Room Group

What subjects go well with Alevel Geography?

Hi,

I recently have received my GCSE results and I am thinking of doing Alevel Geography. I received an A*. I wanted to know which subjects would go well with it.

Thanks,

Bobby.
Biology has a ecology section at the end of the year, this works in nicely with physical geography, but it isn't a massive benefit tbh :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Geology
Environmental science/studies
Biology
Economics
Business studies
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
Geology
Environmental science/studies
Biology
Economics
Business studies

Thanks for the advice :wink:
Biology, Geography and Economics would be a dream at A2. 2/3 of A2 Geography at my school was Ecosystems and Globalisation. Ecosystems/Ecology is a big section in Biology and Globalisation is a big part of Economics. But it depends which exam boards you're on for them and which Geography sections your school does because there's a few choices.

I got full UMS on my Geog 3 paper at A2 and that was largely because I'd done Globalisation in Economics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Economics, biology, chemistry, history
Original post by Bobby9444
Thanks for the advice :wink:

I personally did all three of Geography, Geology and Environmental Studies (Env Studies for AS), and they all overlapped at different sections of the course e.g.

Geology and Geography = tectonics, earthquakes and volcanoes
Environmental Studies and Geography = sustainability

What other subjects are you thinking of doing? :smile:
Sociology, geography, biology, maths
Reply 8
I personally did all three of Geography, Geology and Environmental Studies (Env Studies for AS), and they all overlapped at different sections of the course e.g.

Geology and Geography = tectonics, earthquakes and volcanoes
Environmental Studies and Geography = sustainability

What other subjects are you thinking of doing? :smile:

I was thinking of doing Biology and Business Studies as well. Do you think any other subjects would go better with Geography?
I was thinking of doing Biology and Business Studies as well. Do you think any other subjects would go better with Geography?

Hmm well since geography is partly a humanities and partly a science subject, it goes well with lots of things. I guess it depends on whether you like human geography or physical geography more. If you like the physical side of geography, geology, environmental studies or biology would suit you more. On the other hand, if you prefer the human side of geography, then business studies, economics etc might be better options :smile:
Reply 10
Hmm well since geography is partly a humanities and partly a science subject, it goes well with lots of things. I guess it depends on whether you like human geography or physical geography more. If you like the physical side of geography, geology, environmental studies or biology would suit you more. On the other hand, if you prefer the human side of geography, then business studies, economics etc might be better options :smile:

Thanks :smile: Also, how did you find the jump from GCSE to AS?
Thanks :smile: Also, how did you find the jump from GCSE to AS?

I found the jump to be quite considerable. The workload started off quite similar to GCSE but rapidly increased as the content became more complex. The depth and breadth of content at AS was much wider than at GCSE. I also found the exam questions (WJEC) incredibly vague and the mark schemes were virtually useless - they didn't make it clear what marks were awarded for. I recommend getting familiar with how to answer the questions well in advance of the exam, because I found that you have to phrase your answers in a certain way to get the marks.

I honestly found the jump from AS to A2 to be the biggest. I think at AS the longest essays we had to write were 10 or 15 marks, but at A2 the essays increased to 25 marks (at A2 we had to do 2 x 25 mark essays per exam plus several shorter 10 and 15 mark questions).

I really hope I don't put you off doing geography, this was just my own personal experience of it :smile:
Reply 12
I found the jump to be quite considerable. The workload started off quite similar to GCSE but rapidly increased as the content became more complex. The depth and breadth of content at AS was much wider than at GCSE. I also found the exam questions (WJEC) incredibly vague and the mark schemes were virtually useless - they didn't make it clear what marks were awarded for. I recommend getting familiar with how to answer the questions well in advance of the exam, because I found that you have to phrase your answers in a certain way to get the marks.

I honestly found the jump from AS to A2 to be the biggest. I think at AS the longest essays we had to write were 10 or 15 marks, but at A2 the essays increased to 25 marks (at A2 we had to do 2 x 25 mark essays per exam plus several shorter 10 and 15 mark questions).

I really hope I don't put you off doing geography, this was just my own personal experience of it :smile:

Thanks, I know I need to prepare well before the exam now. I will be doing Edexcel so it may be slightly different. Its to expect that Alevels will be far more of a challenge than GCSE so you haven't put me off! :biggrin:
A2 Biology and Geography link
Thanks, I know I need to prepare well before the exam now. I will be doing Edexcel so it may be slightly different. Its to expect that Alevels will be far more of a challenge than GCSE so you haven't put me off! :biggrin:

That's okay then, good luck! :biggrin:
I did Edexcel A level Geography
OCR Chemistry and Biology
AQA Spanish

both Chemistry (Green Chemistry) and Biology overlapped
AQA A level Spanish has a Geography Section in A2 but many concepts such as Tourism affecting nature in AS.
Original post by castl021.302
I did Edexcel A level Geography
OCR Chemistry and Biology
AQA Spanish

both Chemistry (Green Chemistry) and Biology overlapped
AQA A level Spanish has a Geography Section in A2 but many concepts such as Tourism affecting nature in AS.

Does A level chemistry or biology go best with geography if I wanted to study geography/geology at uni? Also which would you say was easier/harder out of the 2?
Reply 17
a lot subjects go well with a level geography as you can think of linking them together by either skills or subject content or both. for example i did geography, english lang/lit and psychology for a level and that worked well as some of the stats skills in psychology i was able to transfer to geography and vice versa, english was also useful due to writing large amounts of essays a skill important for geography too. other subjects that i think could go well especially if you plan to do geography at uni would be: geology, sociology, maths, statistics, philosophy, environmental science, IT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending