The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
To be perfectly honest I think the transport in London is great. The people who moan about it generally haven't spent much time using public transport elsewhere!

I went to London for the first time since I was 5 about a month ago and the underground is awesome! It goes here there and everywhere and their are trains every 3 mins. Wish we had something like that in Manchester.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I went to London for the first time since I was 5 about a month ago and the underground is awesome! It goes here there and everywhere and their are trains every 3 mins. Wish we had something like that in Manchester.

Agreed, I'm not on the tube where I live, just the train and DLR. It's just not as good.
Original post by redferry
Agreed, I'm not on the tube where I live, just the train and DLR. It's just not as good.

Would also make a good zombie Apocalypse hold out.
Reply 83
Original post by Man.bear.pig

OP don't listen to him. It has dumps and has minorities, sure

Yeah and the majority of Birmingham is a dump with very high numbers of minorities :smile:
Original post by zigglr
Yeah and the majority of Birmingham is a dump with very high numbers of minorities :smile:

why are you a thing?
Reply 85
why are you a thing?

What? The OP is asking why Birmingham has a bad rep as a city, and i'm just telling him why
Original post by zigglr
What? The OP is asking why Birmingham has a bad rep as a city, and i'm just telling him why

k.
It is a dump. The city centre is kind of nice with a good amount of shops and they have a couple of good train stations. The people in the centre are what makes it bad. Far too many homeless people sleeping on the main streets, lots of dodgy looking people about and so many chuggers wherever you go.

Original post by daisychain_
I'm going to Birmingham this September to study at Aston, and I'm quite scared now. Is there a lot of crime?

I go to Aston and the campus is really lovely. It's very safe and there's security walking around. It's mainly just students around there as well. I try not to go past Birmingham City Uni on Jennens Road because there's always a lot of chavs hanging around there smoking. And you'll soon find the streets that are dodgier (Dale End Road going into town).
I guess its coz its full of foreigners. So they say, I never been there. I hate cities.
Reply 89
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
It is a dump. The city centre is kind of nice with a good amount of shops and they have a couple of good train stations. The people in the centre are what makes it bad. Far too many homeless people sleeping on the main streets, lots of dodgy looking people about and so many chuggers wherever you go.

Yeah compared to cities like Oxford. Cambridge and Bath, Birmingham is terrible. So chavvy and i'm pretty sure minorities are a majority there. Loads of pollution too
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by t.s.r.
Hi,

I'm not from England and this September I'll be studying at the University of Birmingham and I've noticed that in this forum the city of Birmingham has a really bad reputation compared to the other cities in the UK.

Can anyone tell me why that is? I honestly have no idea...

Thanks xD

Its a dull miserable place that is pretty much a dismal, grey thing and its people are for the most part horrible.Its public transport is a joke. Its main nightlife is Broad St and thats just terrible.

Its a hole.

It has some nice enough spots (a tiny chinese quarter for one) but not enough to make up for the steaming pile of offal that the place just is. As cities go, its horrible. Best thing i ever did was leave.

Original post by aliendays
I think it's because it's so ethically diverse SOME people give it a bad reputation (40% of people are non-white) but I've lived here my whole life and I can't think of a better thing. The majority of people who criticize it are probably ill-informed who have never visited, and believe everything everything they hear in the media/ off equally as ignorant people.

Lived there for ten years, that good enough of an experience to call it a hole?

Original post by Haa898
Don't let stupid comments here influence your choice. People here are super ignorant. Birmingham is the second biggest city of England, do I need to say more? It's second best after London.

bigger does not equal better.
Birmingham is a great place for multicultural stuff, restaurants and malls but other than that there isn't much to do really. Just go to some towns around Birmingham and it'll be more entertaining tbh. I wouldn't say its awful but it's an okay city to live in.
yuck. I used to live there, Winson Green and Perry Barr. Winson Green was the most ghetto place I've been to (I've lived in council housing all my life). The actualy streets in the town are dirty. The swimming pool in Handsworth was the dirtiest thing ever. And to top it off, the accent is literally the worst. The asians have this weird prosodic sin wave accent, while everyone else just sounds as equally retarded.
Reply 93
Original post by Cll_ws
Surprising really, considering cities such as London and Manchester (and much of the North West actually) experience higher levels of crime in comparison.

Cities usually get their negative rep from overhyped media bull**** and uninformed people jumping on board with it, as oppose to from the experiences of people who have actually lived there/visit regularly. So as a general rule, ignore it until you're able to make your own judgement.

Yeah, that's what I'll try to do... Although it's a tiny bit difficult to try and put all the negativity around Bham behind when so many people say it's a dump lol...
Reply 94
Original post by t.s.r.
Yeah, that's what I'll try to do... Although it's a tiny bit difficult to try and put all the negativity around Bham behind when so many people say it's a dump lol...

You will see it when you get there
Reply 95
Original post by zigglr
Because it's a dump and minorities are a majority there

That's the majority opinion on this thread so far lol..
Reply 96
Original post by missaxo
i was on the coach to brum once and this indian man next to me was trying to flirt w/ me and it was so creepy he was like 40 so i told myself I'd never go back there

That could've happened in any other city LMAO
Reply 97
I agree with man above.

Brum has bad parts if you google "Does Brum have bad parts."

It's a great city and has its well ends and grim ends like any other place. I'd advise just going and seeing for yourself.

Yeah, that's what I'll do, thanks!
Reply 98
Original post by zigglr
You will see it when you get there

I guess so... That's the only way to confirm whether the things said on this thread are true or not.. =)
Original post by missaxo
i was on the coach to brum once and this indian man next to me was trying to flirt w/ me and it was so creepy he was like 40 so i told myself I'd never go back there

that is so ****ing racist. done with you.

Latest

Trending

Trending