The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have another question.

In the context of medicine as an international student and regarding Cambridge admissions in general, there is a point during admissions past which grades don't matter right?

Like when admissions narrows it down to the few applicants they are considering to give an offer, (and they all have reached a certain standard, such as all A*s and SUMS above X%) does it really matter if candidate A has 1% higher SUMS than candidate B or if candidate C has a slightly higher BMAT than candidate D?

I would like to assume when a certain high standard is met the grades are no longer a deciding factor but instead Personal Statement/Interview is, is this the case?
Original post by University of Cambridge
What were your grades in English Lit and Language if you don't mind sharing?

88 in Literature (my lecturer expects an A* overall), 93 in English Language.
Reply 42
Thank you very much!
Reply 43
Hello,

Thank you so much for this thread and for the patience that must be required to answer our endless questions!

In regards to high school transcripts, the COPA website states:

the transcript will be an official document or certificate from your school/college/university which lists the subjects you have studied and the grades/qualifications that you have obtained in the last/most recent two years of schooling. Please provide as much information on your examination performance as possible, including details of any internal assessments that you may have undertaken.

In the US, high school transcripts are not standardized. Some schools include results from national qualifications (SAT, ACT, AP) directly on the transcript, but many do not. My son's school does not.

For US universities, this is not an issue as they all require that the official scores be sent directly to them from the issuing body anyway. That does not seem to be the case at all for applications to UK univeristies.

So we not sure how to proceed. He has already reported the scores in both the UCAS and the COPA as directed, but it seems from the quote above that the high school transcript is expected include those scores as a means of validation.

So there seems to be three options:
1. We have unofficial copies of the scores that we can include in the PDF.
2. He can have the school's college counselor sign and apply the school seal to the official school copies then scan and attach those to the transcript.
3. He can just send the HS transcript as is and rely on the self-reported scores.

Which option would actually be preferable?

On another note, what is the timeline for hearing about invitations to interview after the application is submitted and is there any flexibility in selecting a date for the interview for students who are traveling long distances.

Again, thank you for your time and patience!
Hi there,

I hope you are well. I'm sure I asked something similar before on Christ's thread, but I'm curious about how Cambridge compares percentage uniform marks in CIE A levels and UMS. I heard that CIE candidates with PUM are sorted into quintiles along with UMS candidates, but in certain subjects, I can't help but feel that my ability is not accurately reflected on my PUM. For instance, in AS mathematics, I received a raw mark of 124/125, yet I received a PUM of 95% - which is certainly very good, but from personal observation, it seems as though getting a 95% UMS and above in mathematics is very much more common (at least on TSR!) Would admission tutors take this difference into account? Sorry for burdening you with this question - and thanks a lot in advance!
I a applying for the pharmacy course independently as my school is not registered with UCAS , I did IAL As biology, chemistry and Maths and got an A in all of them, so when submitting the grade modules, I got 2 high B's in two of the As biology modules but an A overall, how would you know that overall it's not an A ? And Is it necessary to attend an interview to be accepted? Moreover, are the scholarships being awarded on the predicted grades? Finally, I was depending on my chemistry and biology teacher to write for me the reference letter, however some personal problems occurred and he can't unless after several months, Is it suitable if I ask my GCSE ICT teacher to write it for me ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlayerBB
I a applying for the pharmacy course independently as my school is not registered with UCAS , I did IAL As biology, chemistry and Maths and got an A in all of them, so when submitting the grade modules, I got 2 high B's in two of the As biology modules but an A overall, how would you know that overall it's not an A ? And Is it necessary to attend an interview to be accepted? Moreover, are the scholarships being awarded on the predicted grades? Finally, I was depending on my chemistry and biology teacher to write for me the reference letter, however some personal problems occurred and he can't unless after several months, Is it suitable if I ask my GCSE ICT teacher to write it for me ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge doesn't offer Pharmacy course, I'm afraid.
They offer some course on pharmacology for 2nd/3rd year natsci students as part of their tripos or for medicine/vet med students but no independent pharmacy course for undergraduate.
Original post by vincrows
Cambridge doesn't offer Pharmacy course, I'm afraid.
They offer some course on pharmacology for 2nd/3rd year natsci students as part of their tripos or for medicine/vet med students but no independent pharmacy course for undergraduate.

Okay, thank you but in general if not for the pharmacy course, what do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, thank you but in general if not for the pharmacy course, what do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Cambridge you mean?
There isn't any 'general' for Cambridge, I'm afraid. Each and every course is different in its criteria, what subjects are required/recommended, what the application profile or typical applicants (your competitors) are like, etc, etc. etc..
Also, Cambridge doesn't just look at grades but they scrutinize UMS for every modules you've sat. Also they carefully look at every part of your application, like how much you've done/are doing in super-curricular (extra-curricular related to the subject you're applying for), reference, PS/SAQ, etc.
The information you've given so far is not enough to judge anything, especially when you don't know which course you want to apply for.

But one thing I want to say, if I may, is this. Do not choose a university because of its name. Choose a course that you really want to study, research which universities offer the best course for your interest, then choose the ones you're going to apply.
Reply 49
This is just out of curiosity, but why does Cambridge 'only' require an average of 10 for Danish candidates, when Oxford asks for 11?

Imo 10 does seem rather 'low' as it would not be a sufficient average for about 40 courses at universities and professional colleges in Denmark either. So, in theory, one could be accepted to study Medicine at Cambridge, but not midwifery in Copenhagen.
(which, indeed, also indicates that something should be done about our quota system. But that's another story)
Reply 50

This is a Cambridge-specific thread, hence if you are considering Cambridge you would need to be on target for A*A*A at A-level for a science course, or A*AA for arts/humanities.
Original post by Sketches
I have another question.

In the context of medicine as an international student and regarding Cambridge admissions in general, there is a point during admissions past which grades don't matter right?

Like when admissions narrows it down to the few applicants they are considering to give an offer, (and they all have reached a certain standard, such as all A*s and SUMS above X%) does it really matter if candidate A has 1% higher SUMS than candidate B or if candidate C has a slightly higher BMAT than candidate D?

I would like to assume when a certain high standard is met the grades are no longer a deciding factor but instead Personal Statement/Interview is, is this the case?

Admissions decisions for medicine are based on a number of factors. We look at grades, interview performance, BMAT results, personal statement, school letter of reference and contextual information amongst other things. I would say that a 1% overall difference in SUMS score is not likely to be so meaningful, but we might look closely at the modules taken and the grades achieved in the more difficult papers. If one candidate had marginally better UMS scores than another, as well as marginally better interviews and marginally better BMAT, then that candidate is more likely to receive an offer.
Original post by calmer410
88 in Literature (my lecturer expects an A* overall), 93 in English Language.

In that case it seems like you are on course for A*A*A in three meaningful A-levels for your course, so I would think that you would still be a competitive applicant despite the poor biology AS.
Original post by gsckmom
Hello,

Thank you so much for this thread and for the patience that must be required to answer our endless questions!

In regards to high school transcripts, the COPA website states:

In the US, high school transcripts are not standardized. Some schools include results from national qualifications (SAT, ACT, AP) directly on the transcript, but many do not. My son's school does not.

For US universities, this is not an issue as they all require that the official scores be sent directly to them from the issuing body anyway. That does not seem to be the case at all for applications to UK univeristies.

So we not sure how to proceed. He has already reported the scores in both the UCAS and the COPA as directed, but it seems from the quote above that the high school transcript is expected include those scores as a means of validation.

So there seems to be three options:
1. We have unofficial copies of the scores that we can include in the PDF.
2. He can have the school's college counselor sign and apply the school seal to the official school copies then scan and attach those to the transcript.
3. He can just send the HS transcript as is and rely on the self-reported scores.

Which option would actually be preferable?

On another note, what is the timeline for hearing about invitations to interview after the application is submitted and is there any flexibility in selecting a date for the interview for students who are traveling long distances.

Again, thank you for your time and patience!

Thanks for your questions. I think we would prefer option 2 for his transcripts. We like a school seal to be applied so that we know we can trust the document.

As far as interview dates, it will vary from College to College but most will try to let the candidates know by mid November. Colleges will always try to be accommodating with interview dates for people traveling long distances, however we are often limited in what dates we can offer as our interview panels can be quite busy around that time of year. It is good practice not to make any concrete advance plans during the main interview period just in case.
Original post by oopswronganswer
Hi there,

I hope you are well. I'm sure I asked something similar before on Christ's thread, but I'm curious about how Cambridge compares percentage uniform marks in CIE A levels and UMS. I heard that CIE candidates with PUM are sorted into quintiles along with UMS candidates, but in certain subjects, I can't help but feel that my ability is not accurately reflected on my PUM. For instance, in AS mathematics, I received a raw mark of 124/125, yet I received a PUM of 95% - which is certainly very good, but from personal observation, it seems as though getting a 95% UMS and above in mathematics is very much more common (at least on TSR!) Would admission tutors take this difference into account? Sorry for burdening you with this question - and thanks a lot in advance!

A 95% PUMS score in mathematics is a great accomplishment, congratulations! Admissions tutors will known how the CIE A levels work and will be able to take this into account when making admissions decisions. We have many applicants taking CIE A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vincrows and jneil give some excellent advice. As pointed out pharmacy is not offered at Cambridge, and ABB is unfortunately below our minimum offer level in science courses, which stands at A*A*A. We can take personal issues into account through and Extenuating Circumstances Form (ECF). This is a form which your school fills out on your behalf which tells us about any teaching or personal difficulties you might have experienced. Sorry to not be more encouraging.
Original post by rosedam
This is just out of curiosity, but why does Cambridge 'only' require an average of 10 for Danish candidates, when Oxford asks for 11?

Imo 10 does seem rather 'low' as it would not be a sufficient average for about 40 courses at universities and professional colleges in Denmark either. So, in theory, one could be accepted to study Medicine at Cambridge, but not midwifery in Copenhagen.
(which, indeed, also indicates that something should be done about our quota system. But that's another story)

The 'typical Camrbridge offer' is listed on the webpage as being 10 on the Højere Forberedelseseksamen / Studentereksamen, however sometime Admissions Tutors can and will set slightly higher or lower offers depending on the candidate and the course they are applying to. A candidate for Computer Science a few years back for instance received an offer of 11 with scores of 12 in Mathematics and Physics, so you should not be surprised if you do end up being asked for something a bit more than 10.
Vincrows and jneil give some excellent advice. As pointed out pharmacy is not offered at Cambridge, and ABB is unfortunately below our minimum offer level in science courses, which stands at A*A*A. We can take personal issues into account through and Extenuating Circumstances Form (ECF). This is a form which your school fills out on your behalf which tells us about any teaching or personal difficulties you might have experienced. Sorry to not be more encouraging.

It's okay, but I got at As AAA not ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
It's okay, but I got at As AAA not ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was your UMS for each subject at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
In that case it seems like you are on course for A*A*A in three meaningful A-levels for your course, so I would think that you would still be a competitive applicant despite the poor biology AS.

Ah, splendid!

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it!

Latest

Trending

Trending