The Student Room Group

Drama and theatre studies applicants 2016 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WolfStannon
I'd recommend preparing at least three classical and two contemporary. The reason I recommend at least three classical is because some schools require two, and it's always good to have something else just in case. It'd be good to have more than two contemporary if you can, but two should be okay. Last year I had three classical and two contemporary and I did sometimes find myself at an audition wishing I had another contemporary because I wasn't feeling either of the ones I had.

It'd be even better if you have double what you need. So for schools where you need two classical and one contemporary, having four classical and two contemporary would be wonderful :smile:

-- Madalene

Brilliant, thanks for the help I think because it's my first year auditioning I am overthinking everything. I think I will be happier once I have done the first audition (hopefully!)
Original post by streether
As helpful as it is to have extra pieces, do remember that it's always going to be better to have only 2 pieces that you're confident are out-of-the-park-amazing than 4 that are good, assuming that the school only asks for 2.

Streether, that makes me feel a lot better. I do have tons of monologues to choose from, but I have to remember that I have to play at my age, so the process of choosing the right one is very difficult for me.

I do have a question for anyone to answer: are monologues from 10 minute plays acceptable? I have one monologue from a 10 minute play that really speaks to me, and I really want to do it. But not before I see if it's acceptable to use in auditions.
Original post by Samrivers
I haven't started applying yet, I think I will wait until the first week in October. Should have all my monologues down by then. Don't want to apply and get a quick audition and not be ready for it. Personal statements are always a hassle! Good luck!

October is a great idea. I don't want to still be auditioning when it comes to mocks, EPQ presentations etc.

Spoke to a Central graduate today who has helped with auditions in the past, she said it's an amazing process. Her brief tips were to make sure you know the play, who you're speaking to, and what your motive was. Don't worry about overdone monologues because the panel would have seen every Shakespeare play probs a hundred times.
Original post by cytja_0288
Streether, that makes me feel a lot better. I do have tons of monologues to choose from, but I have to remember that I have to play at my age, so the process of choosing the right one is very difficult for me.

I do have a question for anyone to answer: are monologues from 10 minute plays acceptable? I have one monologue from a 10 minute play that really speaks to me, and I really want to do it. But not before I see if it's acceptable to use in auditions.

As long as it's a published play and fits within the time frame it should be fine. You just need to understand the whole play, and what your character is thinking at that point.

Out of curiosity, is the monologue from Eight by Ella Hickson ? :P

I mean, here's the approach that I'm taking to drama schools this year.. I'm going to go in the room and do me. Stick loosely to playing my casting type, stick to the rules about being from a published play etc. but prioritise doing a piece that I love, that I can get stuck into, and represents fully what I want to be as an actor. Something that challenges me, and that I would want to be doing upon graduation. And if they would rather stick exactly to having everyone do something that is exactly their casting and from a long play etc. then maybe it's not the right school for me.
I'm playing it as, don't second guess them too much - know their rules and what they're about, but ultimately I'm doing something that represents me. The school I'm aiming for is Juilliard in New York, and they have a video about monologue selection that really reflects this for me, which is part of the reason I'm focusing all my efforts on them. I know that not every school thinks like this, but the video illustrates what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe9FFLn9hRM

I guess what I'm saying is, if it speaks that much to you, and there's no specific rule against it, I'd throw up your hands and say "Why not?"
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ThanosTsar
Out of curiosity, is the monologue from Eight by Ella Hickson ? :P

No, it's actually from a play called Richard Fisher's Funeral by Kellie Powell. The monologue deals with a woman not forgiving her abusive father, and I have experience with living in an abusive relationship in my family, so the monologue I want to do so badly speaks to me the most out of all the contemporary monologues.
Original post by streether
I mean, here's the approach that I'm taking to drama schools this year.. I'm going to go in the room and do me. Stick loosely to playing my casting type, stick to the rules about being from a published play etc. but prioritise doing a piece that I love, that I can get stuck into, and represents fully what I want to be as an actor. Something that challenges me, and that I would want to be doing upon graduation. And if they would rather stick exactly to having everyone do something that is exactly their casting and from a long play etc. then maybe it's not the right school for me.
I'm playing it as, don't second guess them too much - know their rules and what they're about, but ultimately I'm doing something that represents me. The school I'm aiming for is Juilliard in New York, and they have a video about monologue selection that really reflects this for me, which is part of the reason I'm focusing all my efforts on them. I know that not every school thinks like this, but the video illustrates what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe9FFLn9hRM

I guess what I'm saying is, if it speaks that much to you, and there's no specific rule against it, I'd throw up your hands and say "Why not?"

You've definitely made my morning with your words of wisdom. This is my first audition, and I just want to get it right. I've found so many monologues, but only several of them really speak to me in the way that I want it to speak to me.

I guess I'll just take the plunge and go for the monologues that really speak to me.
Reply 148
I have a quick question: I'm looking at classical monologues for my audition, and I'm stuck between Merchant of Venice and Tartuffe. However, I'm not sure if Tartuffe is considered Elizabethan/Jacobean, and I want to be sure I follow the rules of audition requirements.

Can anyone help me out with this one?

Look at the audition requirements of each of the schools you are auditioning for. They always state their requirements and if you still have questions just give them a call directly.
Reply 149
I haven't started applying yet, I think I will wait until the first week in October. Should have all my monologues down by then. Don't want to apply and get a quick audition and not be ready for it. Personal statements are always a hassle! Good luck!

Just a bit of advise, don't apply to all of them in October, they all book you in no longer than 3 weeks after you apply which can mean a hell of a lot of travelling in just a month or so. Also, the Alevel / year 12 guys tend to be the first to apply, if you are a bit older or of no experience then you would be better advised to stagger your applications to a couple of weeks in-between each. Always start with your least favourite choices because they act as a good warm up. Most close auditions on about Jan15th, BUT LAMDA is open until March! just remember they will see masses of applications when they open, but with them taking 26 students on average per course that means they have to leave spaces at the end. perhaps there is a tip in there for you somewhere.
Reply 150

remember if you are applying to Central they have their own list so you will need theirs PLUS at least one other classical. Don't make the mistake of using the Central audition piece fr all the other schools. Its lazy and they don't like it. Re the Contemporary piece, as long as the play is published and you could be cast in the role then its suitable.
Original post by Rhymie
Just a bit of advise, don't apply to all of them in October, they all book you in no longer than 3 weeks after you apply which can mean a hell of a lot of travelling in just a month or so. Also, the Alevel / year 12 guys tend to be the first to apply, if you are a bit older or of no experience then you would be better advised to stagger your applications to a couple of weeks in-between each. Always start with your least favourite choices because they act as a good warm up. Most close auditions on about Jan15th, BUT LAMDA is open until March! just remember they will see masses of applications when they open, but with them taking 26 students on average per course that means they have to leave spaces at the end. perhaps there is a tip in there for you somewhere.

That's pretty helpful! Thanks for the input. I'll stagger the applications for sure now. 😊
Reply 152
That's pretty helpful! Thanks for the input. I'll stagger the applications for sure now. 😊

Great good luck : -)
Original post by Rhymie
remember if you are applying to Central they have their own list so you will need theirs PLUS at least one other classical. Don't make the mistake of using the Central audition piece fr all the other schools. Its lazy and they don't like it. Re the Contemporary piece, as long as the play is published and you could be cast in the role then its suitable.

Thanks!

I'm not applying to Central, so I don't have to worry about that. But the contemporary piece is published so that I have no problem with that. It's just that I took another person's advice and narrowed it down to those that speak to me the most as opposed to age requirements.

I'll have two classical and one contemporary prepared, I think...
Thanks!

I'm not applying to Central, so I don't have to worry about that. But the contemporary piece is published so that I have no problem with that. It's just that I took another person's advice and narrowed it down to those that speak to me the most as opposed to age requirements.

I'll have two classical and one contemporary prepared, I think...

I also have 2 classical and 1 contemporary prepared, debating whether to learn another contemporary or not. Has anyone who has auditioned before been asked to do a second monologue?
I also have 2 classical and 1 contemporary prepared, debating whether to learn another contemporary or not. Has anyone who has auditioned before been asked to do a second monologue?

I wasn't asked to do a different monologue but someone else was asked at one of my auditions :smile:

-- Madalene
Reply 156
Hi guys!

A quick question, does anyone know if the 2 year course at LAMDA is as difficult to get on to as the 3 year?

Thanks
Reply 157
Hello mate, I was on the epic stages course, and the second round of RADA is pretty much the same as the first except they ask you to sing
Reply 158
Original post by terri5999
Hey Nath, were you in the Junior or Senior course at NYT this year, if you were in the senior then we must have passed at some point! Just wondering - and for anyone else out there what the second round at RADA is like, just so I can prepare for it if I get through :smile:

Hello mate, I was on the epic stages course, and the second round of RADA is pretty much the same as the first except they ask you to sing
What is you guys #1 school? Mine was rcs now I think I think lamda would be best for what I want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending