The Student Room Group

Nursing (adult) degree then midwifery?

Is is better, long term and short term, to do a midwifery degree, or a nursing adult degree and then a midwifery degree after?
Original post by gemmajg123
Is is better, long term and short term, to do a midwifery degree, or a nursing adult degree and then a midwifery degree after?

If you want to be a midwife then just do midwifery from the beginning as conversion courses (to go from adult to midwifery) are far and few between and not always funded.
Reply 2
I agree with above, Go straight for Midwifery if that's your passion. The 18 month top up courses are starting to be phased out in some areas (they usually happen now when each hospital needs new midwifes and not enough will be qualifying that year)
Reply 3
how about if I'm still unsure about a career path? I've always wanted to work in healthcare and I can't see myself doing midwifery my whole life?
Original post by c.w.2015
I agree with above, Go straight for Midwifery if that's your passion. The 18 month top up courses are starting to be phased out in some areas (they usually happen now when each hospital needs new midwifes and not enough will be qualifying that year)
Reply 4
surely a general nursing degree gives me more options later on?
Original post by claireestelle
If you want to be a midwife then just do midwifery from the beginning as conversion courses (to go from adult to midwifery) are far and few between and not always funded.
surely a general nursing degree gives me more options later on?

by general you mean adult i presume?
The thing is that if you do your midwifery after adult nursing, its a possibility that you wont be able to stay dual registered under NMC rules for particularly long (you d need to check on that) so if you wanted to be a midwife anyway no reason not to do it in the first place.

You shouldn't bank on doing a conversion course to do midwifery later on as they're incredibly competitive from what i ve heard and you d need your employer to decide its worth it paying for you to do it, which cant be particularly easy.

how about if I'm still unsure about a career path? I've always wanted to work in healthcare and I can't see myself doing midwifery my whole life?

To be honest if can't see yourself being a midwife your whole life then maybe nursing could be the better decision for you but don't apply to any course if there's any doubt in your mind at all, not a decision to be rushed whatsoever
Reply 6

I would think about where you want to work in the end, Here they won't accept you for adult nursing if you plan on being a midwife after. The admissions dept want us to be 100% committed.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Department wise? :smile:
Reply 7
what do you mean staying dual registered with the NMC. thanks for your help by the way
by general you mean adult i presume?
The thing is that if you do your midwifery after adult nursing, its a possibility that you wont be able to stay dual registered under NMC rules for particularly long (you d need to check on that) so if you wanted to be a midwife anyway no reason not to do it in the first place.

You shouldn't bank on doing a conversion course to do midwifery later on as they're incredibly competitive from what i ve heard and you d need your employer to decide its worth it paying for you to do it, which cant be particularly easy.

To be honest if can't see yourself being a midwife your whole life then maybe nursing could be the better decision for you but don't apply to any course if there's any doubt in your mind at all, not a decision to be rushed whatsoever
Reply 8
what do you mean staying dual registered with the NMC. thanks for your help by the way

Dual registered is being registered to train as a Midwife and Nurse, You need to do set hrs in each a year or you cannot work in that area.
Reply 9
how would you loose it though?
Dual registered is being registered to train as a Midwife and Nurse, You need to do set hrs in each a year or you cannot work in that area.

If you dont do enough hours as a nurse they take your registered nurse status off you

To work as a Nurse or midwife you need to work a set number of hrs and pay set fee's, If you don't do this it becomes Illegal for you to work as this profession (a hospital etc won't employ you).
Reply 12
so after you take the midwifery degree are you unable to go back to working as a nurse?
If you dont do enough hours as a nurse they take your registered nurse status off you
so after you take the midwifery degree are you unable to go back to working as a nurse?

You can, but to keep the option open you will have to work (in each area)

450 hours of registered practice in the previous three years and

35 hours of learning activity (Continuing Professional Development) in the previous three years.

I m not sure if its still the same but i ve read if you manage to do 150 hours a year still as a nurse you could keep it and you need CPD hours on top otherwise yes you might not be a nurse anymore afterwards.
Reply 15
so could I work as a nurse for a while, then after I want to change I can take a midwifery short course and then keen a profession as a midwife? so technically the general nursing degree allows me to change in the future? also are you able to change to specialize in pediatric and child?
You can, but to keep the option open you will have to work (in each area)

450 hours of registered practice in the previous three years and

35 hours of learning activity (Continuing Professional Development) in the previous three years.

so could I work as a nurse for a while, then after I want to change I can take a midwifery short course and then keen a profession as a midwife? so technically the general nursing degree allows me to change in the future? also are you able to change to specialize in pediatric and child?

You can go from Adult nursing to Midwifery (it's not easy though and some areas have started to phase it out) You cannot go from Adult to Child nursing (each is a separate degree)
Reply 17
thank you!
You can go from Adult nursing to Midwifery (it's not easy though and some areas have started to phase it out) You cannot go from Adult to Child nursing (each is a separate degree)
Reply 18

There is no such thing as general nursing anymore. It's either adult, child, mental health or learning disabilities.

Don't do adult nursing if you just want to be a midwife from the start. You're taking away a place from someone else who genuinely wants to be a nurse and you won't last, nursing is a hard degree.

Work out what career you actually want, then start applying for uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can remain dual registered. There's a number of dual registered nurses/midwives on the MLU where I work and they haven't worked as nurses in years as the CPD is covered on the midwifery side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest