The Student Room Group

Would you do a 3 day unpaid trial in a shop?

yup, i'm job seeking, got an interview, interview went ok , and then the lady said, 'the next stage of the recruitment process is to work unpaid trail for a few days'

Would you do it? is it legal?

Oh wow,how has my life come to this :rofl:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I might do 1 shift, but not several days
Original post by Flather
I might do 1 shift, but not several days

one day seems ok, but day after day unpaid, oh God
Reply 3
If I really wanted or needed a job then yes, I would. It sucks sometimes but you have to show them what skills and qualities you have. If you aren't willing to, someone else will!
Reply 4
Original post by SuperWolfPaws
yup, i'm job seeking, got an interview, interview went ok , and then the lady said, 'the next stage of the recruitment process is to work unpaid trail for a few days'

Would you do it? is it legal?

Oh wow,how has my life come to this :rofl:

This is a grey area. Essentially when does a trial become full-time work? For unskilled shop work I do not think you would even need to work a full shift to demonstrate whether you were up to the job. In fact, many employers would still pay you anyway or offer to pay expenses on the trial.

I would never work unpaid. It is just bad practice. If you are desperate for a job then you could offer to do a few hours - not days - and they should cover your expenses. If they decline then they are not someone you want to work for so count yourself lucky.
Original post by Jenx301
If I really wanted or needed a job then yes, I would. It sucks sometimes but you have to show them what skills and qualities you have. If you aren't willing to, someone else will!

as there is no guarantee i would get the job after the 3 days,If not offered the job - I would be left with a lack of confidence so bad - i would need to take a pretty heavy prosac to continue with job seeking.
This is unskilled work too.
Worst case scenario; three days work experience. You want to be a retail manager or something? Do it.
Reply 7
A trail run, in a shop? That must be a big shop! I'd say go for it, a bit of running can't be bad for you, can it?
I would but would put in minimum effort , it's like slavery tbh
No way. Besides being a complete insult and a waste of my time, accepting this kind of thing only encourages big corporations to continue doing it.

Three days?? Disgusting behaviour to even ask.
Usually trial shifts last for like 1-2 hours. But three days? They're making use of free labour :lol:
Original post by banterboy
Worst case scenario; three days work experience. You want to be a retail manager or something? Do it.

i have 6 years retail experience already.
i have 6 years retail experience already.

Fair enough. If you really want the job you'll do it. If not you won't. I personally would do it, i wouldn't want to increase the risk of being out of employment for an extended period of time.
Original post by banterboy
Fair enough. If you really want the job you'll do it. If not you won't. I personally would do it, i wouldn't want to increase the risk of being out of employment for an extended period of time.

good point. but i know i will come out feeling a lot worse if i got exploited. i have other interviews coming up. heres to hoping i guess.
Original post by Jenx301

No they won't...not for 3 days.

OP - don't even consider it.
Original post by voiceofreason234
No they won't...not for 3 days.

OP - don't even consider it.

Well if I *really* needed a job and the money it would bring then yes, I would... and I have.... and I know others who have as well. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying if you need a job that badly then you will do it.

OP if you aren't bothered about getting it then no, don't bother.
good point. but i know i will come out feeling a lot worse if i got exploited. i have other interviews coming up. heres to hoping i guess.

Given your level of experience a trial is redundant. They are just trying to get free labour. Seeing as you have other interviews coming up, I would just be very open with them and say if they want to offer you the job they can but you are not doing an unpaid trial.
Trial runs can and do happen. But personally I'd not be doing a trial run for three days unpaid unless I had a really good reason. That's working for free

That's kind of taking the piss.

Bearing in mind if it's an unpaid trial run- unless you do crap you more or less have the role but also if you are on unpaid trial technically they cannot mandate you to turn up at X time, leave at X, can't do a loo break at X etc..

But then again they'd just not hire you
Hell no. Anything that you need to know/learn can be done in one day if even.
Btw what shop is this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending