The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan on a Unpaid Placement

Hi,

I am currently on a course at Sheffield Hallam and I didn't get an opportunity to do a placement between my 2nd & 3rd years, but because I am on the MCOMP/Integrated masters I can do one between my 3rd & 4th year.

I applied to student finance for a maintenance loan for the first time at the start of my 3rd year (this current academic year 22/23) due to the cost of living (was paying my rent via savings/extra work for the first 2 years). I was awarded the 9k-ish amount that was an absolute life saver, as It paid the rent & allowed me to take time off work to study etc.

I re-applied recently for what I thought at the time would be my "final year" (4th this Sept 23/24) but within the last month or so I got an offer for an Unpaid placement starting this September which, honestly I would be a fool not to take as its a wonderful opportunity, but sadly it is unpaid. 40 weeks, roughly 3 days per week (20 hours) with the University itself on one of their internal programs.

I have read that I could receive a lower amount of maintenance loan due to this placement, regardless of whether its paid or not so it raises a few questions I have not been able to find a clear verdict on, even when phoning SFE they just said that to change my circumstance and submit evidence but didn't tell me what this "lesser amount" could or would look like.

Is this a lesser base-amount and the rest (up-to 9k etc) determined later on like this year, or does it mean a lesser amount as in, a lower base rate and that's it nothing else?.

I have searched SHU's funding page and its sort of vague, as it states:

If you are eligible to receive a Maintenance loan, you'll be able to apply for a standard placement amount, which is less than your normal studying rate.

The maximum amount of loan you’d receive in a placement year if you live at home is £2205, as opposed to £2940 if you’re living elsewhere. You’ll get more if you’re staying in London, up to £4128. If you choose an unpaid placement that entitles you to full funding and you are eligible for any grants for dependents, you should continue to receive that additional support in your placement year.

At the time of writing I am currently locked out of my account, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone else has had any experience with this. If it helps, on this placement I won't be making any money outside of a part time job.

To clarify, I am just trying to find out if I just get an initial amount of £2205 and nothing else, or that amount and the extra I got this year.

Because If I only just get £2205, I am in a world of hurt.

Any help with this is massively appreciated.

Regards,

Kieron.
Original post by Dotz0r
Hi,

I am currently on a course at Sheffield Hallam and I didn't get an opportunity to do a placement between my 2nd & 3rd years, but because I am on the MCOMP/Integrated masters I can do one between my 3rd & 4th year.

I applied to student finance for a maintenance loan for the first time at the start of my 3rd year (this current academic year 22/23) due to the cost of living (was paying my rent via savings/extra work for the first 2 years). I was awarded the 9k-ish amount that was an absolute life saver, as It paid the rent & allowed me to take time off work to study etc.

I re-applied recently for what I thought at the time would be my "final year" (4th this Sept 23/24) but within the last month or so I got an offer for an Unpaid placement starting this September which, honestly I would be a fool not to take as its a wonderful opportunity, but sadly it is unpaid. 40 weeks, roughly 3 days per week (20 hours) with the University itself on one of their internal programs.

I have read that I could receive a lower amount of maintenance loan due to this placement, regardless of whether its paid or not so it raises a few questions I have not been able to find a clear verdict on, even when phoning SFE they just said that to change my circumstance and submit evidence but didn't tell me what this "lesser amount" could or would look like.

Is this a lesser base-amount and the rest (up-to 9k etc) determined later on like this year, or does it mean a lesser amount as in, a lower base rate and that's it nothing else?.

If you are eligible to receive a Maintenance loan, you'll be able to apply for a standard placement amount, which is less than your normal studying rate.

The maximum amount of loan you’d receive in a placement year if you live at home is £2205, as opposed to £2940 if you’re living elsewhere. You’ll get more if you’re staying in London, up to £4128. If you choose an unpaid placement that entitles you to full funding and you are eligible for any grants for dependents, you should continue to receive that additional support in your placement year.

At the time of writing I am currently locked out of my account, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone else has had any experience with this. If it helps, on this placement I won't be making any money outside of a part time job.

To clarify, I am just trying to find out if I just get an initial amount of £2205 and nothing else, or that amount and the extra I got this year.

Regards,

Kieron.

Hi Kieron,

Can you confirm what type of placement this is? Will you be attending university for 10 weeks or more throughout your placement year?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Kieron,

Can you confirm what type of placement this is? Will you be attending university for 10 weeks or more throughout your placement year?

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare,

Thanks for getting back to me, I received an email from the supervisor. So according to them, it is a reduced maintenance loan and the terminology is "placement".

Technically I would be visiting the University for 10 weeks or more as its hosted internally by them, but by the sounds of it they are classing it as an employer rather than a Uni.

Placement.png
Original post by Dotz0r
Hi,

Regards,

Kieron.

Hey there @Dotz0r !
I currently study at Sheffield Hallam and have just started my placement year. I too read the website and saw that it said the maximum I could get was £2205, as opposed to my usually £4000 and something that I'd get any other year. My placement is paid but it's minimum wage and definitely not enough to live on so was also worried about the figure the website said. Having now applied for student finance for my placement year, it did take longer than usual to get approved. I was probably waiting around a month to get it approved but it finally did a couple of days ago and my maintenance loan is actually just over £3000. It's reduced from what it usually is but it's definitely a better figure. I'm not sure whether SFE have decided to up the placement maintenance loan but it was way more than I thought it would be and it seems like I might be able to manage the year. I know it's not the maximum amount as my placement isn't in London and it's paid and I know people who have got more for their placement for it being abroad and unpaid.

So if you apply for loan, it may surprise you as being more than you think. I don't know the full circumstances though, I'd just recommend applying as soon as you can because it took a while to get mine approved.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by Dotz0r
Hi Clare,

Thanks for getting back to me, I received an email from the supervisor. So according to them, it is a reduced maintenance loan and the terminology is "placement".

Technically I would be visiting the University for 10 weeks or more as its hosted internally by them, but by the sounds of it they are classing it as an employer rather than a Uni.

Placement.png

Thank you for advising us. Your entitlement would then be correct based on this information.

Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending