The Student Room Group

Why do so many people fail their AS exams?

Scroll to see replies

can someone pls help me. I memorized the whole mark scheme. still ended up as U in alevels in science. why? what should i do?
Original post by superman9
can someone pls help me. I memorized the whole mark scheme. still ended up as U in alevels in science. why? what should i do?

In the sciences, especially at A2, pure recall of information constitutes less than half the questions in exams. So while it's important to learn key words and phrases in mark schemes (especially the underlined terms in biology mark schemes), you're not going to get the top grade just by memorising. You need some understanding.

That being said, I suspect that you didn't revise properly because, frankly, it's a little difficult to get a U even if you answer only half the questions on the paper - I did that in a chemistry exam last year having not revised and got a D (resat this year and brought it up to an A). You have to get out of the mindset of thinking that simple memorising will get you the top grade; it won't. You need to understand the material well enough to be able to answer the application questions.

Also, you haven't mentioned which subjects you mean by 'sciences.' :/
For me I had a problem because the style of questions changed a lot, I couldn't do lateral thinking very well. Also I was still knackered from gcse haha. This was a few years ago now, I wish I could do them again because I know I'd get a much better grade now I'm older and can think outside the textbook
Original post by Hydeman
In the sciences, especially at A2, pure recall of information constitutes less than half the questions in exams. So while it's important to learn key words and phrases in mark schemes (especially the underlined terms in biology mark schemes), you're not going to get the top grade just by memorising. You need some understanding.

That being said, I suspect that you didn't revise properly because, frankly, it's a little difficult to get a U even if you answer only half the questions on the paper - I did that in a chemistry exam last year having not revised and got a D (resat this year and brought it up to an A). You have to get out of the mindset of thinking that simple memorising will get you the top grade; it won't. You need to understand the material well enough to be able to answer the application questions.

Also, you haven't mentioned which subjects you mean by 'sciences.' :/

yes I am talking about bio, chem, physics, maths...physics was so shocking.the question was a gcse question. i answered exactly like the way mark scheme has guided. but still ended up as U!
yes I am talking about bio, chem, physics, maths...physics was so shocking.the question was a gcse question. i answered exactly like the way mark scheme has guided. but still ended up as U!

Unfortunately, mark schemes are only a guide. They're not a definitive prediction of what will be on future mark schemes so, while learning them is useful, A-levels just cannot be aced by learning the mark scheme. Sure, it's useful to do so, but without understanding you're not getting a good grade on your science A-levels.

I maintain that it's a fault in your revision technique. There are two ways of getting a U in science A-levels - you either don't prepare at all or you prepare (and perhaps work very hard at it) but you do it in the wrong way.

I'm also not sure what you're getting at - your final mark isn't determined by your answer on a single 'gcse question' on one paper. It depends on how you do all on your exams and coursework. The fact is that you're doing something wrong if you're getting straight Us despite hard work. I'm not sure what but you need to find out if you want to improve. Perhaps focus less on the mark schemes and more on understanding the material. Will you be retaking your A-levels?
Original post by Hydeman
Unfortunately, mark schemes are only a guide. They're not a definitive prediction of what will be on future mark schemes so, while learning them is useful, A-levels just cannot be aced by learning the mark scheme. Sure, it's useful to do so, but without understanding you're not getting a good grade on your science A-levels.

I maintain that it's a fault in your revision technique. There are two ways of getting a U in science A-levels - you either don't prepare at all or you prepare (and perhaps work very hard at it) but you do it in the wrong way.

I'm also not sure what you're getting at - your final mark isn't determined by your answer on a single 'gcse question' on one paper. It depends on how you do all on your exams and coursework. The fact is that you're doing something wrong if you're getting straight Us despite hard work. I'm not sure what but you need to find out if you want to improve. Perhaps focus less on the mark schemes and more on understanding the material. Will you be retaking your A-levels?

yes.. i will be retaking.. first i thouroughly read the whole book and notes- then got U. then I had cgp guides, still U. then full mark scheme memorization. but still U. dont know what's wrong withh me!
yes.. i will be retaking.. first i thouroughly read the whole book and notes- then got U. then I had cgp guides, still U. then full mark scheme memorization. but still U. dont know what's wrong withh me!

Well, you need to find out if you're to improve. Only you can say why you keep failing because only you know yourself well enough to do so. Also, you failed three times? That's really indicative of poor revision technique. The fact is that there's more to science A-levels than learning the material - you need to be able to apply it.

Are you looking to go to university? I recommend something else like an Access to Higher Education Diploma instead if you want to go because there's really no point wasting more time on A-levels, in my view.
Bad AS level grades in my school were mostly down do drug use in my opinion
Original post by Umair Abbasi
I'm currently studying at a college where lots of people are retaking their AS exams. They have good GCSE's so I was wondering what happened for them to have failed their A levels. I am aware that A levels are much more difficult than GCSE's but they can't be that bad. Is it mainly because they didn't revise enough? I was wondering if you guys could tell me your experiances as well. Thanks for any replies.

Mind me asking the name of the college? Does it begin with a 'B'
Someone I know got decent a levels As, few Bcs, few Cs. Got UUUEE because they didn't put any effort in other than coming into school itself to get attendance
I disagree, I did cram all of it in the run up to the exams, and got AAAB.
I'm currently studying at a college where lots of people are retaking their AS exams. They have good GCSE's so I was wondering what happened for them to have failed their A levels. I am aware that A levels are much more difficult than GCSE's but they can't be that bad. Is it mainly because they didn't revise enough? I was wondering if you guys could tell me your experiances as well. Thanks for any replies.

I did bad in AS cos i had GCSE mind set. LOL.
I got ACD this year, and that's with really serious extenuating circumstances! Loads of people in my sixth form got thrown out to go to college or do an apprenticeship, and tbh most of those people had either issues with work ethic or not understanding what was going on underneath, or just trying to wing the exam on night-before revision like GCSE...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cherry82
Mind me asking the name of the college? Does it begin with a 'B'

I'm currently studying at Connell College. It's not my first choice but they are letting me do the courses I want despite my GCSE grades.
So do you guys think that even if someone didn't do well at their GCSE's it is still possible to receive good grades at AS? Personally I didn't do too well and I know that was down to laziness. Although it is a big step up especially since I didn't get A's but I enjoy my subjects and i'm determined to work muh harder. It just scares me knowing that people with better GCSE's than me failed.

Yes, some people are late developers.
I'm currently studying at Connell College. It's not my first choice but they are letting me do the courses I want despite my GCSE grades.

Oh ok cool. Wish you the best with everything.
I got BBB hoping for an AAB next year. I was very close to getting AAB I was only 1 Ums off Bio A grade as well as 5 ums off Chem A grade. I'm doing a summer school scheme so I think I'm fairly safe when it comes to going to uni doing the course I want.
Original post by Cherry82
Oh ok cool. Wish you the best with everything.

Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest