The Student Room Group

Psychology personal statement

Hello! I want to write about both the stanford prison experiment and even more so, the asch conformity experiment. I wanted help as to what to say about these two in my personal statement (especially asch's one) as I'm struggling incredibly. Any help would be wonderful!
Well what about them exactly excites you? Do you find the idea that someone with no aggressive background could become sadistic in the space of a few days? Does Asch's study represent the time in the 50s and is this applicable today?
Reply 2
Original post by Noodlzzz
Well what about them exactly excites you? Do you find the idea that someone with no aggressive background could become sadistic in the space of a few days? Does Asch's study represent the time in the 50s and is this applicable today?

Hello! Thanks for replying to me so soon. My personal statement for psychology is referring to my ideal as a forensic psychologist so stanford prison exp seemed most applicable. I said that it interested me what we are all capable of when rules are restricted and the overlap between psychology and the law? Does that sound ok? I want to link Asch and apply it to the Nazis and people's compliance with it but I have no idea how to phrase it? This sounds so babbly, I apologise!

It would be better if you talked about studies that were not in the syllabus through extra reading but the way to talk about it is the same as mentioned above
Reply 4
Original post by *Interrobang*
It would be better if you talked about studies that were not in the syllabus through extra reading but the way to talk about it is the same as mentioned above

This. I'm also writing a Psychology personal statement (based around cognitive psychology), don't just talk about what you've learned at college. Look at what's on your Psychology course at Uni (specifically find out what's covered in the Forensic Psychology module if possible), do some research on that.

Quick Reply

Latest