The Student Room Group

'Tea' or 'Dinner'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by elliemayxo
Do you call your dinner your tea, or dinner? to me, tea sounds awfully common and rough. I would never say "I'm going home to have tea" I see it like this; Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 'Tea' in my case, is having a cup of tea? does anyone else agree with me?.

You are 100% right! now please explain this to everyone north of Milton Keynes!

Tea is a liquid... it is also a letter ion the alphabet and something used to support golf balls but it is NEVER EVER EVER a meal
Supper.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Polar bear,* if you please young lady :colonhash:

Spoiler

Oh my :mmm: I can't wait for you to get your paws on my delicate sweets :sexface:
Tea but it does get confusing, people don't know if you mean food or a cup of tea :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everybody on here, to a greater or lesser extent, has rather the wrong end of the stick.

Whilst it's a regional/class distinction now, neither is strictly speaking more correct than the other because the differing usage comes from different kinds of meals. The nineteenth-century Northern/Midland working class would eat a hot meal like a pie or cold cuts followed by cakes or bread and jam in the evening, served with tea, thus called 'high/meat tea' to distinguish it from the earlier 'afternoon/low tea' of the upper classes, who would have had a more formal meal in the evening.

As for me, it's breakfast/brunch (depending on when it is), lunch, tea (rarely, usually just a snack here), dinner if it's cooked, out, or with family; supper if it's something from the freezer or I'm late coming back from somewhere; I've been known to say 'tea'.
Breakfast
Dinner
Tea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dinner. Tea is a drink.
i'd call it dinner
what an unusual thing to feel superior about
Dinner
Tea if you eating around mid/late afternoon, dinner if it's an evening meal, supper if you've had tea in the afternoon and get a bit hungry late evening/night so want something light

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tea makes sense to use as it can only refer to the evening meal(I suppose it can mean the drink Tea but if you are referring to a meal then if it is said to be called Tea then it will be the evening meal), Dinner can refer either to midday meal or evening meal and Lunch to me sounds like a Packed Lunch, it doesn't sound right to say you had a hot Lunch.I come from Sunderland though and my mam always calls it Dinner and Tea.
Depends on context. Tea is never lunch, lunch can be lunch or dinner and tea can be tea or dinner. Lunch is lunch when I'm at home and (mostly) called dinner when I'm at school. I call evening meal tea : dinner at about a 40: 60 ratio

Posted from TSR Mobile
White people say tea
Black people say dinner

The correct term is dinner

/closethread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treypound
White people say tea
Black people say dinner

The correct term is dinner

/closethread

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm white and I say dinner. So you got that statement wrong.
Original post by elliemayxo
Well I'm white and I say dinner. So you got that statement wrong.

Then your ancestors were probs black

Posted from TSR Mobile
It has always been breakfast, lunch, and tea to me. I don't think I have ever used the word dinner to describe any meal in my life.
Tea. Only northerners exist
TEA

Quick Reply

Latest