The Student Room Group

Embarassed to show doctors..

Girls, would you feel embarassed to show your bare bum to a doctor, particularly to a male doctor?
(I prefer not go into the reasons)

p.s. I hope i'm not the only one that would be embarassed.

Apologies if this is the wrong section.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Girls, would you feel embarassed to show your bare bum to a doctor, particularly to a male doctor?

I'm not a girl, but, you can specifically request the gender of the doctor that you see, without giving a reason. That is your right and your perogative.

I wouldn't mind actually, at the end of the day, they are there to do a job and have seen worser things on worser people... The doctor will probably want to get the examination over and done with just as quickly as you!
Original post by greenjellybean
I wouldn't mind actually, at the end of the day, they are there to do a job and have seen worser things on worser people... The doctor will probably want to get the examination over and done with just as quickly as you!

Thanks for the advice.
But the whole thing of taking your trousers etc off, wouldn't that bother you?
you kind of have to just accept that they'll see similar and worse things all the time and get on with it. I've had to have a doctor stick their finger up my bum once, now that was awkward
Reply 5
I have to show my bum to a doctor every year as I have a giant freckle on there and get it checked every year for changes. At first I was a little embarrassed but noe that I'm older I don't care one bit. The thought of going to the doctor for any embarrassing reason is usually worse than the actual appointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
No not at all. In the last few months I've lost count of how many internal examinations I've had to have. Some done by men and some women, I actually felt more comfortable with the male doctor as he made a joke out of it.
I wouldn't worry, they've seen it all before :smile:

just think of how many other bums the doctor has seen in their career, its their job so i wouldnt feel too embarrassed, sure its going to be awkward and uncomfortable but theyre trained to look at all different parts of the human body, after all, everyone has a bum so i wouldnt sweat it too much :smile:
Original post by Spock's Socks
I have to show my bum to a doctor every year as I have a giant freckle on there and get it checked every year for changes. At first I was a little embarrassed but noe that I'm older I don't care one bit. The thought of going to the doctor for any embarrassing reason is usually worse than the actual appointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lucky doctor :smile:

(Kidding aside; hope that it doesn't get worse and your health remains stable).
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the advice.
But the whole thing of taking your trousers etc off, wouldn't that bother you?

Nah, everything is done in quite a discreet way - You get undressed behind a curtain, you are given something to cover yourself (e.g sheet) then the doctor will come and only expose the bit they need for the duration of time they need to

When I've conducted exams like that, the protocol is the same - I cover my patients over and only expose the bit I need when I need.
After the examination, I cover the patient back up again, and leave them behind the curtain to get dressed.
Everything is done in a 'matter of fact' sort of way. Nothing embarrassing there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exactly did they do during your checkup, if you don't mind sharing?
Nah, everything is done in quite a discreet way - You get undressed behind a curtain, you are given something to cover yourself (e.g sheet) then the doctor will come and only expose the bit they need for the duration of time they need to

When I've conducted exams like that, the protocol is the same - I cover my patients over and only expose the bit I need when I need.
After the examination, I cover the patient back up again, and leave them behind the curtain to get dressed.
Everything is done in a 'matter of fact' sort of way. Nothing embarrassing there!

Oh I see, thanks for info. If you don't mind going into more detail, what do you actually do during the rectal examination?
They literally just look at it and that is it.
What exactly did they do during your checkup, if you don't mind sharing?
They literally just look at it and that is it.

Do you have to completely take off your undergarments?

Are you currently studying medicine?
I'm a first year medic, when did you do your first rectal exams?

Obviously..
I just pull my trousers and pants down to my ankles instead of taking my underwear fully off and stand up while they look at it. The whole thing including them looking at the mole only takes less than a minute pretty much.
Are you currently studying medicine?
I'm a first year medic, when did you do your first rectal exams?

Yep, final year.
Rectal exams where in 3rd year I think.
If you're a medic then you should surely be aware of examination conduct, etc and maintaining patient dignity and privacy?
I just pull my trousers and pants down to my ankles instead of taking my underwear fully off and stand up while they look at it. The whole thing including them looking at the mole only takes less than a minute pretty much.

As mentioned above, you didn't have to take it off in front of the doctor?
As mentioned above, you didn't have to take it off in front of the doctor?

Do you mean did I have to go behind a curtain to drop my pants and then the doctor came into the room once I had done that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest