The Student Room Group

I made a massive mistake HELP!

Hi. I chose maths, further maths, physics and economics for A Levels but I really want to do medicine. There are many reasons for this, I have started to really enjoy reading about the human body and I really want to help people. Also, previously I didn't think that I would be able to survive medicine courses since I had low self esteem and dint think I was good enough. Now, I realised that it rally was my passion and now I can't do anything about it. I don't think my school will let me change two A levels since we started in Spetember and its been a long time (6 weeks) into A Level. What should I Do? Should I try and persuade the head of science that I am passionate about medicine or should I consider some sort of foundation course? I have no idea what to do...
Reply 1
I would also appreciate hearing from someone who has possibly been in This position
Original post by Myoz99
Hi. I chose maths, further maths, physics and economics for A Levels but I really want to do medicine. There are many reasons for this, I have started to really enjoy reading about the human body and I really want to help people. Also, previously I didn't think that I would be able to survive medicine courses since I had low self esteem and dint think I was good enough. Now, I realised that it rally was my passion and now I can't do anything about it. I don't think my school will let me change two A levels since we started in Spetember and its been a long time (6 weeks) into A Level. What should I Do? Should I try and persuade the head of science that I am passionate about medicine or should I consider some sort of foundation course? I have no idea what to do...

HI,

I think you should try and talk to your teacher instead of taking up a Foundation course because right now, you've just missed 6 weeks of A levels compared to the many weeks you'll have to spend in foundation. Maybe you could offer to self-study the chapters that have been covered and approach the subject teachers with doubts so that way it's less of a load on them. There are loads of resources online to help you out (Youtube videos are a great help). I've self-studied my entire A2 and my exams begin on Friday, so if you need any help with resources/advice for the sciences, do get in touch.

Best of luck, I hope everything works out for you! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Nikita Verma
HI,

I think you should try and talk to your teacher instead of taking up a Foundation course because right now, you've just missed 6 weeks of A levels compared to the many weeks you'll have to spend in foundation. Maybe you could offer to self-study the chapters that have been covered and approach the subject teachers with doubts so that way it's less of a load on them. There are loads of resources online to help you out (Youtube videos are a great help). I've self-studied my entire A2 and my exams begin on Friday, so if you need any help with resources/advice for the sciences, do get in touch.

Best of luck, I hope everything works out for you! :smile:

Thank you so much for your help. Also, how are you finding self studying? Also, what subjects do you study and which is the hardest to self study? Thank you very much for your help.
Reply 4
What were your GCSE results?
Reply 5
Original post by SCalver

11 A* 1A
Reply 6
Original post by SCalver

Why do you ask?
Reply 7
Original post by Myoz99
Why do you ask?

Seeing if it was worth you applying for medicine. Evidently, yes
Reply 8
You can talk to your teacher about changing, or if they wont budge then go to a different school and ask them if you can do what you want, if its not too late
Original post by Myoz99

YES PLEASE TALK TO YOUR TEACHERS!!! My friend was in the same position as you last week (she wanted to do dentistry through) she done biology, English lit and sociology because she wasn't informed about the a levels she needed. I persuaded her to take chemistry and she's enjoying it and doing really well recieving A's on her test's just a week/ two in so deffo talk to your teacher
Original post by Myoz99
Thank you so much for your help. Also, how are you finding self studying? Also, what subjects do you study and which is the hardest to self study? Thank you very much for your help.

You're welcome! :smile:
I find self study really nice because firstly it is something I've always done as in I like studying,and secondly because I think the A levels curriculum is such that at this stage no matter how great your teachers are, it is self study that is really needed at the end of the day. Also I'm doing A levels at a different school from where I did my IGCSEs so they're not very supportive at school and I've found studying on my own quite useful.
I'm studying biology,physics, chemistry and psychology at A levels. English language at AS. Hmmm I think psychology is a little difficult because there's a lot of research to do but the papers are comparatively easy to answer. I find chemistry difficult to self study because applying concepts that have not been explained to you is a little challenging and there are many concepts in chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest