The Student Room Group

Chance of being accepted into uni with Criminal Record?

Hi,
I have accepted a conditional offer to study at university but unfortunately made the most stupid decision to drive while slightly intoxicated. I also have another offence where I didn't leave an area when supposed to and received a fine for this. Both these convictions are unspent (Not over 5 years) and I am aware my university will most likely request a dbs check. These offences are massive mistakes in my life and I will be incredibly upset if rejected an offer to better my life. Any advice would be great, thanks! :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Email the Uni and tell them.
Reply 2
DBS checks are done for medical, dentistry and law students but are not done for other students.
Original post by chunn17
Hi,
I have accepted a conditional offer to study at university but unfortunately made the most stupid decision to drive while slightly intoxicated. I also have another offence where I didn't leave an area when supposed to and received a fine for this. Both these convictions are unspent (Not over 5 years) and I am aware my university will most likely request a dbs check. These offences are massive mistakes in my life and I will be incredibly upset if rejected an offer to better my life. Any advice would be great, thanks! :smile:

What course have you applied to?
Original post by chunn17
Hi,

University itself doesn't care about criminal convictions, unless it's for violence and you want to live in halls. The issue is the regulation of some specific careers that the course is designed for, and that the careers may have rules about convictions. So if you are applying for healthcare, childcare, medicine etc there might be issues. You need to read up on the course regulations or ask the Uni directly. If there is an issue, outcomes are decided on a case by case basis.
Reply 5
Psychology BSc
Original post by PQ
What course have you applied to?
Reply 6
Thank you for your reply. I thought this would be the case. I know regulated courses could be a problem but I'm in a grey area as I'm studying psychology. I think it may depend on if I do a placement.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending