The Student Room Group

BTEC Health and Social care level 3 extended diploma

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi, I just wanted to ask you a few questions about the Btec level3 extended diploma health n social care.. After doing alot of research I felt that I should stick with this course as I completed level2 in school & enjoyed it alot. But right now I am in a dilemma over choosing this diploma course or straight 3 Alevels. The reason being is because A levels are the more commen route towards university degrees. Would I would like to know is that will this course allow me to get through university degrees such as childhood studies/primary teaching or would you say I should stick with A levels? @futurechildnurse
Original post by Tia_x
Hi, I just wanted to ask you a few questions about the Btec level3 extended diploma health n social care.. After doing alot of research I felt that I should stick with this course as I completed level2 in school & enjoyed it alot. But right now I am in a dilemma over choosing this diploma course or straight 3 Alevels. The reason being is because A levels are the more commen route towards university degrees. Would I would like to know is that will this course allow me to get through university degrees such as childhood studies/primary teaching or would you say I should stick with A levels? @futurechildnurse

Evening/good morning Tia,

I hope you are well :smile:

I would honestly advise you to continue with the btec, alot of unis value this course because you get taught many different aspects in health and social care. Also seeing as you've done the level 2 you will find doing the level 3 alot easier because the units in the first year are the same or similar to level 2 (all you have to do is add a bit more information and do a bit more further reading!) I know someone who completed her btec last year and got into her first choice uni for primary teaching! Also remember that with the btec the college finds you the placement, so you could have 8 whole weeks in some kind of teaching setting, which will look so good on your application to uni!

It all depends on what you're better at exams or coursework (although I believe btec are adding in an exam or two as of this year!)

You stated that you have enjoyed the btec and I can honestly say if you enjoy it you will stick to it! Hope this is all huge required information and if you have anymore questions feel free to private message me. :smile:

Good luck in deciding your pathway to getting you into uni. :smile: xx
Reply 22
Thank-you for replying that really helped alot. Yes, you are right in a way because the Btec route always gives a student the chance to experience different job roles which is essential to gain skills. Although alot of people do take A levels once they leave school, a Btec isnt bad either as its included in every uni degree requirement so obviously it holds some value. I just want to make sure I choose the right course/courses. Anyways thanks for replying really appreciate it & hope you make the right decisions too. 😊x @futurechildnurse
im doing this course too in college
its great so far
can anyone help with m1 d1 unit 4, the advantages and disadvantages of the nature nurture debate cant find any information online
Reply 25
Im doing the same units at the moment at sixth form, i really dont understand unit 6 atm, our teacher came in and had a go at my whole class today because we apparently just copied her notes and done nothing else..:unimpressed:

Original post by futurechildnurse
Hello,

I am glad you have enrolled at your local college to study level 3 BTEC health and social care. I can honestly tell you it's an amazing course,with many different units you study. I am also nearing the end of my second year of this course and hoping to go onto work within the care sector for a year before applying for university.

The units I have studied at my college are:
Effective communication
Health, safety and security
Equality, diversity and rights
Development through the life stages (personally one of my favourites)
Anatomy and physiology (This is quite difficult, but honestly is so interesting to learn)
Professional development
Sociological perspectives
Psychological perspectives
Safeguarding adults
Physiological disorders (This is another difficult unit, so interesting though)
Health education (This is where you will mainly plan a health education campaign. Within my group we chose to do a campaign about alcohol)
Nutrition
Research methods (This is also a really difficult but interesting unit as you can do your own research project)
Complementary therapies
Additional needs
Dementia care
Medication
Continual professional development

Please note though your college may not do the exact same units for this course as some of these are optional

Also within this course you get at least 8 weeks worth of work experience,which is really valuable when you are applying to university and within many of your units as you have to apply theory to practise and practise to theory. Within my placements I have been able to work within a variety of childcare settings (as I want to become a children's nurse in the future) but I have also worked with those that have dementia. In your final year of your BTEC you have the opportunity to have some kind of work experience relating to what you want to do in the future, so for my final work experience I was able to go and shadow nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and support workers, which has now made me even more determined to become a children's nurse

In regards to the entry requirements, yes they advise you to get 5 a*-c's within your GCSE's (including maths and English) but if you don't manage to get maths or English at grade c or above this wont be a problem as long as you make sure you agree to doing these as part of your course (that's what I am doing.)

Good luck to you and I hope you get accepted for this course as I honestly think its brilliant and gives you a various in what you learn.

If you have any more questions please feel free to private message me! :smile: xx
Reply 26
Original post by tamina_
Im doing the same units at the moment at sixth form, i really dont understand unit 6 atm, our teacher came in and had a go at my whole class today because we apparently just copied her notes and done nothing else..:unimpressed:

Unit 6 is personal and professional development isn't it.. I agree with you it's a quite challenging unit especially if your finding it hard to understand, What sixthform are you at..
Original post by ellielouise.x
can anyone help with m1 d1 unit 4, the advantages and disadvantages of the nature nurture debate cant find any information online

Hiya, have you received help for this? If not please reply to this and I will help you. I absolutely loved this unit and I achieved a distinction.

Good luck! xxx
Original post by tamina_

Original post by Tia_x
Unit 6 is personal and professional development isn't it.. I agree with you it's a quite challenging unit especially if your finding it hard to understand, What sixthform are you at..

Original post by 010197
Unit 6 is Sociological perspectives. I had a crap teacher for it and ended up teaching it to myself so it's not that hard, you just need to analyze statistics for most of the assignments.

Hello to all of you!

I am very sorry for my late reply. Would any of you like assistance on this unit? I am more than willing to provide you with any help that you require.

I must admit that if this is the personal professional development- at first I did struggle with this unit, but if it is sociological perspective then it really isn't as bad as it looks, honestly.

In both of those units I achieved distinctions!

Good luck! :smile: xxx
Reply 29
Hello to all of you!

I am very sorry for my late reply. Would any of you like assistance on this unit? I am more than willing to provide you with any help that you require.

I must admit that if this is the personal professional development- at first I did struggle with this unit, but if it is sociological perspective then it really isn't as bad as it looks, honestly.

In both of those units I achieved distinctions!

Good luck! :smile: xxx

Hi.

I am currently struggling with P3 in unit 6, would you be able to help and explain to me?
Original post by Akane123
Hey :smile:
I have applied to do BTEC Health and social care level 3 extended diploma in September. I was going to apply to do A levels, but my Uncle advised me to do BTEC as it is less pressure.
I was just wondering, what can you do at University with this BTEC?
I'm might want to do Child Psychology or teaching, but what are the degrees you can do with this BTEC??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:wink: xx

I wouldn't say that it's less pressure, it's just a whole different kind of pressure. I did my AS levels then moved onto BTEC and found it much easier on this course. I much prefer knowing what you're going to get rather than waiting and possibly being disappointed. :s-smilie:
I got offered a place onto a psychology course at Reading with this BTEC, the possibilities are endless (as i'm sure you can tell by the replies above :wink: ):smile:
Reply 31
Hello,

I am glad you have enrolled at your local college to study level 3 BTEC health and social care. I can honestly tell you it's an amazing course,with many different units you study. I am also nearing the end of my second year of this course and hoping to go onto work within the care sector for a year before applying for university.

The units I have studied at my college are:
Effective communication
Health, safety and security
Equality, diversity and rights
Development through the life stages (personally one of my favourites)
Anatomy and physiology (This is quite difficult, but honestly is so interesting to learn)
Professional development
Sociological perspectives
Psychological perspectives
Safeguarding adults
Physiological disorders (This is another difficult unit, so interesting though)
Health education (This is where you will mainly plan a health education campaign. Within my group we chose to do a campaign about alcohol)
Nutrition
Research methods (This is also a really difficult but interesting unit as you can do your own research project)
Complementary therapies
Additional needs
Dementia care
Medication
Continual professional development

Please note though your college may not do the exact same units for this course as some of these are optional

Also within this course you get at least 8 weeks worth of work experience,which is really valuable when you are applying to university and within many of your units as you have to apply theory to practise and practise to theory. Within my placements I have been able to work within a variety of childcare settings (as I want to become a children's nurse in the future) but I have also worked with those that have dementia. In your final year of your BTEC you have the opportunity to have some kind of work experience relating to what you want to do in the future, so for my final work experience I was able to go and shadow nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and support workers, which has now made me even more determined to become a children's nurse

In regards to the entry requirements, yes they advise you to get 5 a*-c's within your GCSE's (including maths and English) but if you don't manage to get maths or English at grade c or above this wont be a problem as long as you make sure you agree to doing these as part of your course (that's what I am doing.)

Good luck to you and I hope you get accepted for this course as I honestly think its brilliant and gives you a various in what you learn.

If you have any more questions please feel free to private message me! :smile: xx

hi, i just wanted to know at what point in the course does the work experience start?
A lot of people think BTEC is a lot worse compared to A levels but it isn't, you can still get into a good university with a good course from it, search on UCAS and see what you can do
Original post by tamina_
hi, i just wanted to know at what point in the course does the work experience start?

I start mine on 16th November! For three weeks! Then again in Feb for three weeks and then in may for three weeks! Then in second year three more blocks of three weeks! It's great but each college may be different
Original post by tamina_

We could start ours as soon as we wanted to and it was ongoing throughout the course, we had a deadline of March in second year to finish placement. We were given two days off a week, one day was for placement but it was up to you whether you did placement on the second day as well. We could also do placement during the school holidays (highly recommend doing that if you can, it really helps free up time to do coursework)
Original post by tamina_

It varies from college to college but I started my first ever placement in November for the first year, which was for three weeks. Then I had another two weeks in March. In year 2 you do three weeks of placement which starts in September. Hope this helps :smile:
Hi, I start BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in September... I want to go uni. But, I'm torn between doing Children's Nursing or Early Childhood Studies so I can do teaching for primary schools or in the Eary Year setting. But, I can't decide between the two. I got told I could do my degree in Children's Nursing and then a PGCE in the Primary Teaching for Early Years... As that way I have both pathways/options. Anyone know if this is true/possible?
I wished I could do both Children's Nursing and Early Childhood Studies.

Anyone got any advice/help?! Would be much appreciated - thank you.
Reply 37
Original post by Akane123
Hey :smile:
I have applied to do BTEC Health and social care level 3 extended diploma in September. I was going to apply to do A levels, but my Uncle advised me to do BTEC as it is less pressure.
I was just wondering, what can you do at University with this BTEC?
I'm might want to do Child Psychology or teaching, but what are the degrees you can do with this BTEC??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:wink: xx

Well I have just been offered a place on a nursing degree with this BTEC
Original post by stormmcgivern
Hi, I start BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in September... I want to go uni. But, I'm torn between doing Children's Nursing or Early Childhood Studies so I can do teaching for primary schools or in the Eary Year setting. But, I can't decide between the two. I got told I could do my degree in Children's Nursing and then a PGCE in the Primary Teaching for Early Years... As that way I have both pathways/options. Anyone know if this is true/possible?
I wished I could do both Children's Nursing and Early Childhood Studies.

Anyone got any advice/help?! Would be much appreciated - thank you.

I'm in the same position as you tbh, I'm torn between early childhood studies and primary education. I understand it can be difficult because if you do early childhood studies you will most likely work with 0-5 year olds in nurseries. But to work with 5 year olds in primary schools you would need a QTS which is earned by doing a degree in (primary) Education. Doing a degree in children's nursing and then a PGCE afterwards is possible but I heard its difficult.
My advice would be to go with the flow for now because throughout the 2 years you would probably change your mind quite a lot just like my friend and I. And also as you get the opportunities to do around 4 placements you might end up deciding that it's not right for you.
Hello I am currently on my second year studying the extended diploma btec in health and social care. I have completed around 140 hours of placement in my first year, but this year I am really not enjoying my placement so I just quit going. The specification says that I need to complete 200 hours overall. I was wondering what happens if you stop attending placement? Will I fail the course and have wasted 2 years??.

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending