The Student Room Group

Would I be able to study law at UCL or LSE?

Hi,

Firstly, I'm not really sure how mature students really apply to uni etc so sorry in advance if any of this information is irrelevant or w/e.

Currently I'm 18 and just finished my A-Levels with the grades of BBC in Law, Sociolovy and ICT. The C is only a C because a U in one of my units dragged me down, I plan on retaking this to get my overall up to a B.

I recently had an interview for a higher apprenticeship as a legal assistant in my local council which will last 3 years and allow me to earn £21,000 a year before tax anually. Over this period I'd also be studying for a CILEX Qualification, which I think but can't confirm would last over the 3 year period.

I was wondering if after these 3 years a university like LSE or UCL be likely to accept my application with my a level grades, CILEX and years of relevant work experience

What do you reckon?
Email the unis bro :smile:
Reply 2
I agree with Skill Twix. Every mature student application will be decided on a case-by-case basis, especially when it comes to considering professional experience and qualifications. There's no way of knowing unless you ask the unis.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
You could always do an Access to HE course, either at college or by distance learning.

I checked the UCL website, and they ask for 28 out of 45 credits at Distinction for the LLB which is definitely achievable considering the fact that you have studied at Level 3 already.

:smile:
Just some quick thoughts.

I'm fairly certain those A-level grades (incidentally far better than mine) won't get you into LSE or UCL for a course as competitive as Law. Someone I know had exactly those grades this year and couldn't get into a RG for Law even through Clearing. They are A*AA courses. You could do an Access Course and aim to get Distinctions (not imperative, but helpful) all the way through and delay your application until the following academic year. Alternatively, you can re-sit your A-levels and aim for A*AA, but re-sits aren't looked upon as kindly in general. However, if you can show that you were able to raise your grades [or get Distinctions on an Access Course] whilst juggling other commitments, it may skew things in your favour (obv, this varies from department to department and also tutor to tutor).

A little about the unis themselves.

I know of two people who got offers from UCL in my Access Course (Philosophy and Arch&Anth); so in those departments at least, Access students are welcome.

LSE seemed more or less indifferent (YMMV). I was interested in PPE and a friend was interested in History. The responses we received weren't exactly encouraging, though in my case, my lack of mathematical grounding would appear to justify the lukewarm response I received. In my friend's case, it made less sense since the course was in Humanities.

Good luck!
It may be useful to email them with your situation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AcademicAwe
Hi,

Firstly, I'm not really sure how mature students really apply to uni etc so sorry in advance if any of this information is irrelevant or w/e.

Currently I'm 18 and just finished my A-Levels with the grades of BBC in Law, Sociolovy and ICT. The C is only a C because a U in one of my units dragged me down, I plan on retaking this to get my overall up to a B.

I recently had an interview for a higher apprenticeship as a legal assistant in my local council which will last 3 years and allow me to earn £21,000 a year before tax anually. Over this period I'd also be studying for a CILEX Qualification, which I think but can't confirm would last over the 3 year period.

I was wondering if after these 3 years a university like LSE or UCL be likely to accept my application with my a level grades, CILEX and years of relevant work experience

What do you reckon?

I think it's unlikely as they're A*AA courses, and therefore extremely competitive; there were 14 applicants per place for UCL Law in 2014, and it'll be roughly the same every year. It's definitely worth emailing the universities with your situation, but even with CILEX, I doubt that BBB will be enough to form a competitive application.

I recommend either looking at universities that ask for AAB-ABB (and emailing them), or alternatively resitting your A levels - it would be a lot of work, but I think that's the only way of forming a competitive application.
Original post by AcademicAwe
Hi,

What do you reckon?

Definitely ask the universities. But as your subjects aren't 'traditional' subjects, or even subjects which are suggested before going into a law degree then with the grades as well you might struggle with this alone. But the experience will be great for you and if you could do an Access course once you finish your apprenticeship then that might just make your application really competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending