The Student Room Group

How many years SF do you get.

If I were to do one full year at a university. Then drop out.

Then apply to universities.

And then complete a three year course.

Would student finance fund me for all four years?
Reply 1
That would be fine. The calculation is:

Number of years of new course (minus) Number of years of previous uni study (plus) One year = Remaining years of SF entitlement.

For the purposes of the calculation, partial years are counted as complete.

This gives you 3-1+1=3 years of SF entitlement remaining, so you will get funding throughout your second attempt. Everyone gets a "grace" year of funding, in case they start out on the wrong degree. However, you need to make sure you pass each year first time - if you had to retake a year, you would have to fund that yourself.
Original post by Klix88

Number of years of new course (minus) Number of years of previous uni study (plus) One year = Remaining years of SF entitlement.

This gives you 3-1+1=3 years of SF entitlement remaining, so you will get funding throughout your second attempt. Everyone gets a "grace" year of funding, in case they start out on the wrong degree. However, you need to make sure you pass each year first time - if you had to retake a year, you would have to fund that yourself.

If I'm doing a degree with foundation (so 4 years in total) but in my second year wanted to transfer to the integrated masters MEng, would student finance fund me for that? So you're talking 5 years in total
Original post by Klix88

Thank you very much for the reply. That is good.

Can I ask you, how does funding for masters/phd work.

And also I take it that if that hapens I would have to pay 36k right?

Thank you.
Reply 4
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
Thank you very much for the reply. That is good.

Can I ask you, how does funding for masters/phd work.

And also I take it that if that hapens I would have to pay 36k right?

Thank you.

At present there is no funding for a Masters unless it is an "integrated" Masters (i.e. Part of an extended undergrad degree which still gets SF funding, or you can get some sort of uni-specific funding like a bursary or scholarship. The latter are pretty rare, but some unis offer discounts to undergrad alumni. My undergrad uni gave a 20% fee reduction to those who stayed on or went back for a Masters, with an extea 5% discount if you paid th entire year's fees up front.

The givernment were discussing a SF-style loan for Masters courses starting in 2016. However they are *still* talking about it and nothing has been decided. It feels like it might not happen.

PhD funding is different again. The most common type is a funded PhD, which is effectively like applying for a job. Any kind of PhD funding us very competitive.
Original post by Klix88
At present there is no funding for a Masters unless it is an "integrated" Masters (i.e. Part of an extended undergrad degree which still gets SF funding, or you can get some sort of uni-specific funding like a bursary or scholarship. The latter are pretty rare, but some unis offer discounts to undergrad alumni. My undergrad uni gave a 20% fee reduction to those who stayed on or went back for a Masters, with an extea 5% discount if you paid th entire year's fees up front.

The givernment were discussing a SF-style loan for Masters courses starting in 2016. However they are *still* talking about it and nothing has been decided. It feels like it might not happen.

PhD funding is different again. The most common type is a funded PhD, which is effectively like applying for a job. Any kind of PhD funding us very competitive.

Thank you for the information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending