The Student Room Group

Full Own Jones and Peter Hitchens interview.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mpagtches
Funnily enough, in the video Peter Hitchens has a real go at people who don't actually consume the media which they talk about :biggrin:

Also, who is 'Own Jones'? :p:

I didn't talk about the interview at all, therefore what he said is irrelevant to my comment about him. :h:
Original post by william walker
Indeed.

:frown:

No it means he had a British pass port, not that he was British. And wanted to maintain Britain. It isn't because I disagreed with him, rather because he wanted to do away with institutions of the nation state.

However that has nothing to do with being British. Great Britain is an island, if you are born enough on said island or live there long then you are British.
(edited 8 years ago)
''Cameron's a blancmange'' :biggrin: #cuckservative

Owen Jones...

(edited 8 years ago)
It is clear the Christopher Hitchens was the better writer, had the more fashionable views. However he wasn't British.

For somebody who swears by the importance of genetic relationships, you come out with the most contradictory nonsense. He was British. :tongue:
Original post by Hydeman
For somebody who swears by the importance of genetic relationships, you come out with the most contradictory nonsense. He was British. :tongue:

He was American.
Original post by United1892
:frown:

However that has nothing to do with being British. Great Britain is an island, if you are born enough on said island or live there long then you are British.

Britain is a nation state.
He was American.

How's that now? He was British, both in citizenship and ancestry.

Do you mean the United Kingdom?
Original post by Hydeman
How's that now? He was British, both in citizenship and ancestry.

Because he didn't support the institutions of the British nation state and wanted to turn Britain into the US.
Do you mean the United Kingdom?

No the UK is just a name. It doesn't mean anything in reality. The British nation state has institutions and actually exists.
Will definitely watch this.

Generally i find Hitchens interesting but not my type of right winger, Owen Jones is mostly extremely condescending and the English version of Sturgeon.
Because he didn't support the institutions of the British nation state and wanted to turn Britain into the US.

Yes, and that's your definition, which doesn't matter. The one that does is the legal and social one.

I'd like some evidence for the statement in bold -- he was a self-proclaimed Marxist for all of his adult life and, given that the U.S. isn't Marxist by any stretch of the imagination, it's somewhat preposterous to claim that without some hard evidence attached.

By your definition, I'm not British either, because I don't support the monarchy. :tongue: Lay off whatever it is you're sniffing, Billy.
No the UK is just a name. It doesn't mean anything in reality. The British nation state has institutions and actually exists.

Keep living in the 18th century if you want. :nah:
Original post by Hydeman
Yes, and that's your definition, which doesn't matter. The one that does is the legal and social one.

I'd like some evidence for the statement in bold -- he was a self-proclaimed Marxist for all of his adult life and, given that the U.S. isn't Marxist by any stretch of the imagination, it's somewhat preposterous to claim that without some hard evidence attached.

By your definition, I'm not British either, because I don't support the monarchy. :tongue: Lay off whatever it is you're sniffing, Billy.

How much time do you have? As I have watched many of his videos on youtube to understand him and his views. Even before I came across Peter Hitchens.

Well it does matter as the destruction of the British nation is happening because most people within it are no longer British and not long support the institutions of the state.

Well indeed you aren't British. You don't support the institutions of the state.
Keep living in the 18th century if you want. :nah:

I am living now. The British state exists. The UK state doesn't. There is a British nation, not a UK nation. UK is just a name.
How much time do you have? As I have watched many of his videos on youtube to understand him and his views. Even before I came across Peter Hitchens.

As have I. Which is why I ask you to point me to which video(s) it is that gave you the impression that Christopher Hitchens wants to turn Britain into the U.S. I don't have endless time but I would like to know because I'm quite surprised by that statement.

Well it does matter as the destruction of the British nation is happening because most people within it are no longer British and not long support the institutions of the state.

Institutions can be created and destroyed.

Well indeed you aren't British. You don't support the institutions of the state.

My passport says otherwise. :rolleyes: Again: stop sniffing whatever it is that you've been sniffing until now. I'm British and so was Christopher Hitchens and most people in this country. Why do you even bother using technology if your expressed wish is to live in the 17th century? :tongue:
I am living now. The British state exists. The UK state doesn't. There is a British nation, not a UK nation. UK is just a name.

As is 'Britain.'
Original post by Hydeman
As have I. Which is why I ask you to point me to which video(s) it is that gave you the impression that Christopher Hitchens wants to turn Britain into the U.S. I don't have endless time but I would like to know because I'm quite surprised by that statement.

Institutions can be created and destroyed.

My passport says otherwise. :rolleyes: Again: stop sniffing whatever it is that you've been sniffing until now. I'm British and so was Christopher Hitchens and most people in this country. Why do you even bother using technology if your expressed wish is to live in the 17th century? :tongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD6xpCTVYKc

They can be. When people stop believing in them and trusting them, they can lose their power. So those who seek the destruction, seek to destroy the British state.

I am talking about people political views and beliefs. I am not talking about what is on your pass port. I am British regardless of my pass port.
Original post by Hydeman
As is 'Britain.'

Is it just my imagination or has this thread actually turned into a "debate" about whether or not Christopher Hitchens was British?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending