The Student Room Group

German woman evicted from home to make way for refugees

Scroll to see replies

They should rehouse that nurse.

This sort of thing happens in the UK as well though tbf it's not just Germany.
Reply 101
Original post by abruiseonthesky
As someone living in Germany on a year abroad, the majority of people I've encountered are far more welcoming and sympathetic towards refugees than the right wing UK press would have you believe.

Where do you live?

My German relatives in Munich are pissed off.
They are over compensating for the Nazis
What a joke Europe has become, Isn't the point of a government- to look after it's citizens first? Absolutely disgraceful someone is kicked out their home to make way for people who have a completely alien culture to Europeans.

Maybe when the grooming gangs start in Germany and halal shops start opening on every block will they realise how stupid they are. Just the other day they were burning tents which the Austrian government gave then, do you really want people like that coming here?

Nothing wrong with helping people who are suffering from war in the middle east, however they got no business coming here, plenty of refugee camps in Jordan, Turkey etc where the culture and people are similar to them and therefore the refugees can integrate easily.

You got millions of people about to be broke or worse off due to tax credit cuts yet people want to feed hundreds of thousands of these people? hahahahaha. Sorry but I don't want them here but I'm happy to help through donations and stuff. The UK isn't some 5 star hotel for non citizens.

Charity begins at home for me, Once we eliminate poverty and homelessness and hunger in the UK then we can think about housing them.
it ain't going to be ****ing germany soon, it will be full of ****ing migrants, germany is going to end up losing its identinty, shame on merkel for letting them all in a bloody disgrace innit , a joke a outrage its like nazis again throwing you out of your home thats not democracy
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Evil Genius
What a joke Europe has become, Isn't the point of a government- to look after it's citizens first? Absolutely disgraceful someone is kicked out their home to make way for people who have a completely alien culture to Europeans.

Maybe when the grooming gangs start in Germany and halal shops start opening on every block will they realise how stupid they are. Just the other day they were burning tents which the Austrian government gave then, do you really want people like that coming here?

Nothing wrong with helping people who are suffering from war in the middle east, however they got no business coming here, plenty of refugee camps in Jordan, Turkey etc where the culture and people are similar to them and therefore the refugees can integrate easily.

You got millions of people about to be broke or worse off due to tax credit cuts yet people want to feed hundreds of thousands of these people? hahahahaha. Sorry but I don't want them here but I'm happy to help through donations and stuff. The UK isn't some 5 star hotel for non citizens.

Charity begins at home for me, Once we eliminate poverty and homelessness and hunger in the UK then we can think about housing them.

Nothing wrong with Muslims, they haven't done anything wrong, they should be helped but she shouldn't be kicked out of her house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
Yes, because every single one is like that....
. You above anyone else should be able to find compassion.

Don't you ever dare tell me other countries should have done more to help Jews in the Holocaust now. I'm shocked you, of all people can't find compassion.

Seems some people learned nothing from the 40s.

I'm sorry but I don't really buy your confected outrage. German Jews would have loved to have had a safe haven, any safe haven at all. They weren't focused on obtaining material advantage through, they were trying to ensure they and their children wouldn't be murdered.

Most of the "refugees" entering Europe are clearly not in the same situation given they have passed through many safe countries. You can't claim to be a refugee, and then keep passing through safe countries simply because you think another will be more pleasant to stay in.

As a Jewish person

What does that even mean, in this context?
Original post by abruiseonthesky
So if it's the state government that's evicted her, who says the national won't compensate? Or even the state government?

Your argument is pretty desperate, no?

(1) She's a renter, not the owner. Therefore, she is entitled to no compensation

(2) It's not the state government (it helps if you actually read the article), it the city government. And the Mayor specifically said the reason she is evicting these people is because it costs her nothing, whereas to build a refugee shelter would cost 30k euro.

(3) If she were being adequately compensated, she wouldn't be going to the media. She is getting nothing, and no amount of your grasping counterfactuals about imaginary compensation will change that.

What this shows is that your claimed compassion is just a front. It's a pose, an affectation designed to allow you to appear right-on and to feel smug and sanctimonious. You don't actually give a crap about individual people, given you are positively cheering on this 55 year old women being thrown out of her home.

Shame on you, you cold-hearted scrooge
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 108
How many Syrian refugees have been accepted by the USA?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
That's not what we're getting at all. Those sorts of people rather tend to be the ones still out in Syria fighting.

Not necessarily. The proportion of Muslims who have regressive views about women, who believe Jews control the world, who are implacably hostile to the existence of Israel, who feel there is a Western "War on Islam (TM)", is far, far larger than the proportion who will pick up a gun and fight for ISIS/Nusra.

The regressive views I've mentioned are widespread in the Islamic world.
Original post by SignFromDog
Not necessarily. The proportion of Muslims who have regressive views about women, who believe Jews control the world, who are implacably hostile to the existence of Israel, who feel there is a Western "War on Islam (TM)", is far, far larger than the proportion who will pick up a gun and fight for ISIS/Nusra.

The regressive views I've mentioned are widespread in the Islamic world.

What you said we were getting was:

But given what we actually are getting is 7th century warlordism and tribal nonsense par excellence,

The warlords rather tend to be the warmongerers, who are still out there, and the tribal nonsense isn't anywhere near as much as you're thinking - these people tend to be the minority. As for the bits about Israel and Jews - if they were British like, say, George Galloway, would you have a problem with them not liking it? And in fairness, Netanayhu is trying to stoke the flames quite a bit over there
Reply 111
Original post by Student403
The benevolent part refers to the general attitude of the German people toward refugees. Welcoming them.

Read where I said "Just a shame someone had to suffer for it". That part refers to the fact that a native had to suffer as a result of it

Johnny come lately to the party but I just stumbled across this little article on Yahoo Finance that I thought might interest you.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/startling-map-shows-germany-starting-144938060.html

It makes one wonder how much more benevolence the Germans have to give.
Original post by Bornblue
As a Jewish person

Original post by SignFromDog
What does that even mean, in this context?

This additional "argument" is often used by Jews - haters of Israel, who mostly have no actual connections to Jewishness.
Original post by admonit
This additional "argument" is often used by Jews - haters of Israel, who mostly have no actual connections to Jewishness.

Yeah it's basically a way to qualify yourself to say whatever you want and nobody is allowed to even question it no matter how wrong it is.

The Jewish Uncle Ruckus
Original post by Foo.mp3
Still believe this crap?

Nice pulling things out of context there (i.e. before and after).

However, I still haven't encountered anything personally. Haven't been keeping up with the news though except on the funky TV screens on the U-Bahn (why doesn't every city transport system have news on a rolling cycle)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Not sure I follow, in what sense is it out of context? :confused:

Spoiler

It was said before these incidences, innit

You mean to say that these incidents you reported cannot possibly have owt to do with your Eastern appearance? Interesting theory..

not in a 'omg you're brown' way, in a sexual way. Sorry, should've been clearer

Only a matter of time now the underground is no longer a safe refuge from WiFi microwave radiation :facepalm2:

(to think, I once celebrated this fact, as a Virgin Mobile customer) :rolleyes:

The U-Bahn TV screens are the only things that keep me awake on my journeys to my 8 am lectures (what is UP with that, Germany)
Original post by Gears265
I find it hard to not burst out laughing but I will try.

If you think "The Guardian" is a reliable newspaper you need help, any academic will support that. It is a far left radical newspaper, the polar opposite of the mail. Both are as bad as each other. At least I can admit it but you lack the sense to look past you left wing ideals to see The Guardian for what it is. It lacks any credibility and has been falsely reporting stories for many years.

No it's not, the Guardian has always been a Liberal organ. It was expressly founded in opposition to the Chartist newspaper of its day. Most recently it took on the politics of the Blairites and still holds to that stance. Little criticism of neoliberal economics and lots of identity politics. I read it daily and I can't remember when I last saw an article criticising Osborne or Cameron or any Tory - lots against Corbyn though.

Populist left newspapers are the Huffington Post, the Independent since the election and the Mirror.

It's a bit like the Torygraph on the EU. The Guardian knows the readership wants tub-thumping workers' international stuff but it's too shy and establishment to provide much more than the odd cosmetic story. Similarly the Torygraph is practically a mouthpiece of the Conservative leadership and is run by mega-rich financiers, and as such can only occasionally bring itself to put out something unequivocally anti-EU for the plebs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Well yes, which is why I asked whether you "Still believe this crap?" (applies now, as you did then)

My point is, at the time, it was more true than it is now

For someone who appears relatively well informed and has experienced difficult sexual circumstances herself I'd expect you to understand a bit more about the psychology of predatory behaviour (than the quoted comment implies)

Oh I misunderstood, I thought you misunderstood me and thought it was a 'you're an immigrant' thing (which, ironically, I currently am, albeit only a temporary migrant) than sexual :tongue:
It's less like that in Europe though, especially in somewhere like Berlin. If I'd been wandering round the streets speaking English at the top of my voice and looking obviously lost, yeah, maybe. But given Berlin's highly multicultural population, especially Turks, it's less so here. Imo it was nothing to do with the fact I'm slightly brown and more to do with the fact that scumbags will be scumbags and target women generally (otherwise surely street harassment would be 1. more race-related - I've never had a race-related comment - and 2. experienced/reported by white women a lot less often than it is). Generally speaking in Europe, you make yourself vulnerable by looking lost and by making it obvious that you aren't native. Given I speak German fairly fluently and know the area where I live like the back of my hand, and that it's highly possible that, looking at me, I'm second gen Turkish descent and therefore a German citizen, it's probs just scummy men deciding to tell me about their probably tiny penises.

Ruthless German efficiency ftw!

[scroll]:train2: :colonhash: :cute: :dry: :yawn: :sleep: :coma:[/scroll]

Yes... I'll remember that next time I'm commuting through the snow for my 8 am lec (so Monday)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Where do you live?

My German relatives in Munich are pissed off.

Well apparently I never answered this :P Berlin
Reply 119
Original post by Josb
From the article:
"In the case highlighted yesterday, around 5,000 asylum seekers have been crammed into old US military bases in Giessen, western Germany.
A letter addressed to the Minister of Integration and Social Affairs in the state of Hesse, where the centre is based, from four women’s organisations described a ‘culture of rape and violence’.The letter, written on August 18, stated: ‘It is a fact that women and children are unprotected. This situation is opportune to those men who already regard women as their inferior and treat unaccompanied women as “fair game”.
'As a consequence, there are reports of numerous rapes, sexual assaults and increasingly of forced prostitution. These are not isolated incidents.’ "

Do you really want these "people" in Europe?

I said that on 23-10-2015 00:26.

It's impossible to say we didn't know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending