The Student Room Group

RAF QWI

Is there any place I can find more information about the QWI course and what a career as this role entails other than what's already on Wikipedia?

Thank you
Not on the the open internet, and for very good reason. Why do you want to know about the QWI course?
Original post by Schleigg
Not on the the open internet, and for very good reason. Why do you want to know about the QWI course?

Not specifically the content of the course, more of a job description. Was just looking at careers that other than senior officer 'staff jobs' that a lot of pilots move on up to.
Just wanted an idea of what pilots do after a training and a few tours under their belt. QWI caught my eye because it's not often discussed, and I'm interested in instructor roles.
Original post by Flying Lotus
Not specifically the content of the course, more of a job description. Was just looking at careers that other than senior officer 'staff jobs' that a lot of pilots move on up to.
Just wanted an idea of what pilots do after a training and a few tours under their belt. QWI caught my eye because it's not often discussed, and I'm interested in instructor roles.

QWI isn't a separate job per se and it definitely isn't something a pilot 'moves in to'.

It's something that a line-pilot will get as an extra qualification which he can do in addition to his normal flying job. So the QWI has all the extra knowledge of tactics and weaponry that means they'll be the leader of a package rather than the follower, they can also keep the guys up to speed on latest threats and revised procedures for dealing with them. QHTI and QMETI are the rotary and multi equivalents but aren't geared as much towards weaponry and are more towards tactics.
QWI isn't a separate job per se and it definitely isn't something a pilot 'moves in to'.

It's something that a line-pilot will get as an extra qualification which he can do in addition to his normal flying job. So the QWI has all the extra knowledge of tactics and weaponry that means they'll be the leader of a package rather than the follower, they can also keep the guys up to speed on latest threats and revised procedures for dealing with them. QHTI and QMETI are the rotary and multi equivalents but aren't geared as much towards weaponry and are more towards tactics.

Ah okay, thank you for the response.

Is this mostly aimed at fast jet pilots then? How easy is it for fast jet pilots to convert to rotary or multi engine? Or vice versa, multi engine to fast jet (ofcourse depending on operational needs, etc)
Conversion between types is EXTREMELY rare. Aircrew are streamed FJ / rotary / multi quite early in their careers. This is down to personal aptitude and needs of the service. Given the time and cost to train someone to get to the controls of an aircraft type, doing it twice for a single person would be a huge waste of money and time and resources.
Ah okay, thank you for the response.

Is this mostly aimed at fast jet pilots then? How easy is it for fast jet pilots to convert to rotary or multi engine? Or vice versa, multi engine to fast jet (ofcourse depending on operational needs, etc)

The clue's in the name, Qualified Weapons Instructor. Nothing else fires weapons apart from FJ!

As I said before, QHTI and QMETI are the equivalents for RW and ME. Sometime you get people trying to go ME when they've had enough of being a FJ or RW guy but it's getting harder since there isn't as much spare capacity in the system.
The clue's in the name, Qualified Weapons Instructor. Nothing else fires weapons apart from FJ!

As I said before, QHTI and QMETI are the equivalents for RW and ME. Sometime you get people trying to go ME when they've had enough of being a FJ or RW guy but it's getting harder since there isn't as much spare capacity in the system.

Yes, but then you said they have 'equivalents', so I assumed this had some relevance to any weapon system that is mounted on a helicopter for example. Otherwise how can there be an equivalent weapons instructor haha, excuse my ignorance I don't know hence the thread.

I did a bit more digging around and found it's apparently only the top 1% of pilots, cream of the crop sort of thing which is interesting, and it's also open to international students. I then lead onto that it's similar to the US TOPGUN school! I imagine the course is nothing like the film.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ProStacker
Conversion between types is EXTREMELY rare. Aircrew are streamed FJ / rotary / multi quite early in their careers. This is down to personal aptitude and needs of the service. Given the time and cost to train someone to get to the controls of an aircraft type, doing it twice for a single person would be a huge waste of money and time and resources.

Oh okay, I had just saw this extract from the RAF website

ONGOING DEVELOPMENT: As a pilot, you will have opportunities for further professional development throughout your career. As well as training to fly different aircraft at Operational Conversion Units, there are opportunities for structured command and staff training as your career progresses.

I may have incorrectly interpreted that as converting from ME to RW for example, but maybe Typhoon - F-35 (if that ever happens) is more likely. But fair enough, so I guess a lot of people won't necessarily get streamed to what they want.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nothing else fires weapons apart from FJ!

Rotary? Even if manned by a crewman leaning out of the door... Hopefully as of SDSR there'll be a weapons carrying ME platform too.:smile:

As for transfers between streams, back to the original points, they can happen, but as mentioned are very rare and tend to be "right place right time". I've seen people go both ways "up" the streams (ME to RW& FJ and RW to FJ) and down ("down" from FJ or RW to RW or ME can sometimes be harder than up!). Service need and all that. Rumour has it that lots of FJ and RW seemed suddenly keen on ME when the A330 came into service...:wink:
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
Rotary? Even if manned by a crewman leaning out of the door... Hopefully as of SDSR there'll be a weapons carrying ME platform too.:smile:

As for transfers between streams, back to the original points, they can happen, but as mentioned are very rare and tend to be "right place right time". I've seen people go both ways "up" the streams (ME to RW& FJ and RW to FJ) and down ("down" from FJ or RW to RW or ME can sometimes be harder than up!). Service need and all that. Rumour has it that lots of FJ and RW seemed suddenly keen on ME when the A330 came into service...:wink:

I would love to fly FJ and Rotary, but the AAC Apache Longbow looks really fun. FJ looks like everytime you move the damn thing you have to strain because of the G force.
Yes, but then you said they have 'equivalents', so I assumed this had some relevance to any weapon system that is mounted on a helicopter for example. Otherwise how can there be an equivalent weapons instructor haha, excuse my ignorance I don't know hence the thread.

I did a bit more digging around and found it's apparently only the top 1% of pilots, cream of the crop sort of thing which is interesting, and it's also open to international students. I then lead onto that it's similar to the US TOPGUN school! I imagine the course is nothing like the film.

My original response addresses this. The TI in QHTI and QMETI is for tactics rather than weapons since ME and RW don't have offensive weapons and they don't have to fight other aircraft. I have done the (QMETI) course and it's primarily focused on deeper knowledge of friendly and enemy offensive and defensive weapons systems and tactics of their use, with a primary application in the COMAO environment. That's all you're going to get without having a clearance!

Original post by Fritz Bollinger

Not exactly. The MG on a helo doesn't form an offensive capability, you wouldn't send an SH to go and attack a target. I think the P8's maritime attack capability is pretty niche! I don't know how we're going to employ it, whether ASuW or just ASW and Maritime Patrol but the crews would still only be QMETIs and not QWIs! If they had some Sidewinders (or now ASRAAM) like the MR2 did then maybe they'll do QWI, who knows!
Sorry, I was being pedantic.:biggrin:

P-8 can potentially carry quite a range of interesting kit - Along the lines of what MRA4 artist's impressions used to show! Let's not count our chickens that we'll be receiving such a capable piece of machinery just yet though!
Reply 13
Hi Lotus, I admire your enthusiasm and ambition, but try not to run before you can walk, eh? You've got lots of hoops to jump through before you get anywhere near a jet, but assuming you achieve that, then just be the best you can be. Isn't there a strap line about that somewhere?

QWI is just another string to the bow in an RAF career, a good string, but not the be all and end all. What everyone will be looking at is your capacity to take on extra responsibility at all levels, so whether it's i/c a barrack block, Chair of the Mess Ents Committee or OC Airman's Club, you'll be looked at to see how effective you are at all these types of extra curricular functions - otherwise known as secondary duties.

Anyway, just for you mate, here's a bit of discussion about QWI:
http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/516525-qwi-course.html

Schleigg, am pretty certain there'll be an MMA / MPA platform announced in the latest SDSR - I'm having doubts they'll commit to a type straight away, but who knows? As for weapons, upgraded Stingray for ASW, latest Harpoon for ASuW. It would be sensible to consider a land attack weapon such as Storm Shadow, but the FJ mafia put the kibosh on that for MRA4, and I wouldn't hold my breath. Very much doubt there'll be a short range defensive AAM - the 9L was fitted to MR2 as a direct reaction to confrontations with the Argentinian ELINT / SIGINT Boeing 707 during the Falklands and although it remained plumbed in for a few years, it was never going to be a full fit capability. However, for a year or two post Falklands, it was epic fun doing fighter affil against F4s - and yes, some of the hot shots were well and truly waxed. We didn't need QWIs though, just decent pilots with a good understanding of the jets performance. Happy days.
Original post by ProStacker

Conversion between streams (FJ/RW/ME) is not the norm for most pilots, but it is not uncommon. I did three tours rotary, then converted to the multi-engine stream. On my Squadron I would estimate that 10% of the pilots had completed tours on other streams before crossing-over to multis. Crossing over to the fast-jet stream tends to be a little bit more patchy, but several of my former rotary colleagues made the jump.

Conversion between types is EXTREMELY common. It would be unusual for a pilot to complete their career on only one type of aircraft. The benefits of sharing experience between different aircraft fleets outweighs the costs of repeating training.
I know that RAF RPAS are absolutely crying out for pilots & other crewmembers. It's not as exciting as real piloting but the more budgets get cut, the more UAVs will be feature. The PM announced not long ago that the RAF RPAS fleet will be doubled but from what I gather there's going to have to be a big recruitment surge to get enough pilots for them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tempest II
I know that RAF RPAS are absolutely crying out for pilots & other crewmembers. It's not as exciting as real piloting but the more budgets get cut, the more UAVs will be feature. The PM announced not long ago that the RAF RPAS fleet will be doubled but from what I gather there's going to have to be a big recruitment surge to get enough pilots for them.

Did you post in the wrong thread?

Quick Reply

Latest