The Student Room Group

University - The most underwhelming experience you've ever had?

Am I the only one that found university to be so hyped, only to find out it's just a bigger college...

Discuss.
University is entirely what you make of it. The difference in regards to environment between colleges and universities is smaller than that of unis to sixth form. It's more the access to knowledge that improves, as well as the level of research undertaken.

I've used it as a good stop gap to get further insight to my field while working and improving employability. :yy:
Original post by Mitchconner
Am I the only one that found university to be so hyped, only to find out it's just a bigger college...

Discuss.

For me, uni was so much better than I expected. The school and 6th form I went to was a horrible place in a really tiny town. The vast majority of people in my year were genuinely nasty people and I had very few friends there. Added to that I lived in a very small town, where public transport was both expensive and unreliable, it didn't make for a very nice time growing up.

Coming to uni in a big city and not on a self enclosed campus, I finally felt happy and at home. Public transport was cheap, regular and reliable. There were actually fun things to do in easy access of where I lived and people were actually nice and not stuck up their own arses for once! Plus, I love the major subject I chose, although I do regret the minor subject a bit.

Given the choice, I'll never go back to the REGION I'm from, because it was just so horrible and uni's been such a step up in terms of quality of life

Discuss.

I agree. I'm glad I'm here, but it's a bit ridiculous considering it costs £9000 a year at most uni courses.
Reply 4
I love university for the fact that it is 'underwhelming', moving in was very easy, making friends was very easy and settling in was easy.

In my mind, I pictured this super intensive hell hole, full of endless partying, insanely hard work and few friends. I didn't even think I'd make it to Christmas. Ever since I've moved in though, everything has gone so much better than expected.
Reply 5
I'd say uni is the complete opposite to what I thought it'd be and it has been pretty underwhelming. All I've gotten out of my experience so far is the realisation that campus unis are like living in a bubble.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
It is hyped too much and the fees are just ridiculous now at 8-11k per year, there are much better alternatives now like apprenticeships and other streams
Reply 7

Discuss.

Well I've finished Uni, and hands down I can say college was better. Less work to do, still a lot of friends to make, and you didn't have to go out near every night to stay in a clique. Besides career focus, Uni is marketed as having sex, making friends, and drinking all the time, I could do that at college and not spend all that money!
(edited 8 years ago)
middle school > high school > elementary school > **** > univ
Reply 9
I would agree that it is largely down to the person, where they are in themselves at the time etc. The major difference between college and uni being the expectation that nearly all sixth formers live at home whilst the majority(?) of uni students live away from parents and are now adults with the right to drink etc.

I would definitely say make the most of it in terms of meeting people as you never get the same experience/opportunity as the 1st year in a uni again and your social circle shrinks, your contemporaries settle down and have kids and you end up finding your 30s can be a lonely place!
Yeah I'm not feeling uni, maybe as I've started first yr in my 20's, I like going out and drinking but people here seem to be doing it so often they aren't even allowing themselves to enjoy it, it is as if you HAVE to go out to seem less boring, even the course isn't interesting me, all the information I need is included in slides, I don't get anything out of lectures idk, the social life and the education just doesn't seem worth the time, money or effort to me at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending