The Student Room Group

Sinister sausage - will you still eat processed meat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RFowler
Not only that, but it just increases the risk of cancer. People tend to overlook this.

Say your risk of getting cancer is 5% (just making figures up for the sake of argument) - an 18% increase isn't much to worry about. Lots of things increase that risk, singling out things like red meat is misleading.

They are only singling out "processed" red meat, because there isn't enough evidence for red meat. However they did say it was "probably cancerous" which could also mean probably not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
They are only singling out "processed" red meat, because there isn't enough evidence for red meat. However they did say it was "probably cancerous" which could also mean probably not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A != !A
Bull****.
Reply 23
Nope. Might as well die doing what you love to do.
Original post by Kiytt
Nope. Might as well die doing what you love to do.

Something that most of this site does not believe in.
Original post by YellowWallpaper
"Everything gives you cancer these days"

No it doesn't. What a stupid poll that refuses to take seriously the very real implications of meat consumption.

Original post by IamJacksContempt
I don't think you understood his point. The media are always releasing stories about how so many foods and other things cause cancer.

Original post by CAElite
A new thing that "WILL GIVE YOU CANCER!" is popping up every 3 or 4 months now. I just genuinely dont care anymore.

Hi YellowWallpaper,

Sorry if that option has caused offence - that wasn't intended. It's just one of those comments that I hear often when this kind of report is released, that's why I included it. Thanks IamJacksContempt. Given that the poll is swaying this way, it obviously rings true for a lot of young people. So maybe it suggests that some of the sensationalism created by the papers is actually causing people to not take this research seriously.

I think the percentages are valid, but there is more to cancer than just meat in this instance. For example I wonder the people that consumed red/ processed meat had much fibre in their diets or regularly exercised. There is also big difference in eating grass-fed beef and a frozen processed minced "beef" burger.

I think actually that people should be made aware of what goes into meat these days i.e. the amount of antibiotics that are fed to farmed animals, chemicals and waste. When we digest meat we take these chemicals into our bodies which definitely isn't healthy and will affect our wellbeing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Great, now militant vegetarians and vegans will have all the more reason to try and convert everyone else to vegetarianism/veganism.
Original post by duckd0nald
Great, now militant vegetarians and vegans will have all the more reason to try and convert everyone else to vegetarianism/veganism.

By the power of authoritarianism!

More likely is that they will be even more smug than they were before
The risk of excessive red meat consumption causing bowel cancer is a very real one. The Western Diet, particularly high in red meats, animal fats, and low in fibre, is awful for our bowels. While there's an associated risk, this isn't to say red meat is bad for you. It's like with everything in life: moderation.

I'll still keep eating red meat. I don't go OTT and consume 2kg per week, so I'll be fine. The small risk that my moderate consumption brings, if there is one, is negligible enough to me to justify continuing eating it. I like steak.
Original post by duckd0nald

Original post by Jammy Duel

Why?

I'm vegan. The majority of my family and friends are not, I don't judge their diets. I don't wish to convert anyone, just share my delicious home cooked food with the people I love for their enjoyment and nourishment.

This doesn't make me feel smug, the health and well-being of people matters to me.

I care about people, the environment and animals and take as much responsibility as I can to do my little bit for all of it. It's definitely not me doing the judging.

If people want to buy meat, then rather than judge I suggest they should consider doing it mindfully i.e. sourcing it from a butcher or farm shop where they animals have been treated well and not been fed with a concoction of drugs and ate their own waste. But at the end of day, what people put into their bodies is entirely their choice. Buy cheap, processed meat and you'll get the meat that is lacking in any nutritional benefit, full of nasties, from a very unhappy animal.
Original post by She-Ra
Why?

I'm vegan. The majority of my family and friends are not, I don't judge their diets. I don't wish to convert anyone, just share my delicious home cooked food with the people I love for their enjoyment and nourishment.

This doesn't make me feel smug, the health and well-being of people matters to me.

I care about people, the environment and animals and take as much responsibility as I can to do my little bit for all of it. It's definitely not me doing the judging.

If people want to buy meat, then rather than judge I suggest they should consider doing it mindfully i.e. sourcing it from a butcher or farm shop where they animals have been treated well and not been fed with a concoction of drugs and ate their own waste. But at the end of day, what people put into their bodies is entirely their choice. Buy cheap, processed meat and you'll get the meat that is lacking in any nutritional benefit, full of nasties, from a very unhappy animal.

Congratulations, you are not a militant vegan and therefore your post was a waste of time.
Original post by Jammy Duel

You here you are, firing the first shot
Original post by Farm_Ecology
You here you are, firing the first shot

Which bit is inaccurate, that the sorts of views militants express are authoritarian; or that while not being authoritarian they are all smug pretending they have the moral high ground; or how about that it won't be amplified when they can start shouting about how the vegan lifestyle doesn't have the cancer risks, even though it probably does via other foods?
Hey :smile:

The new-story is really focused on those eating red meat/ processed meat and how it may or may not affect their health so I focused on them within the poll. Anyone that is currently a veggie or vegan can still use that option.
Original post by She-Ra
Why?

I didn't say "all vegans." I just said "militant vegans."

I'm not one to judge diets, either, but the moment someone attempts to impose their lifestyle choices on me, that is when I can consider them militant. You don't seem like a militant vegan at all. :smile:
It does seem that practically everything causes/is linked/ can increase the risk of a whole host of diseases, illnesses and conditions to the point that I just don't listen to it anymore. My family has no history of cancer that I know of and I don't eat a ridiculous amount of meat. I mostly eat chicken anyway, with processed pork stuff only about twice a week. I won't be changing my lifestyle.
So, what if you smoked bacon flavoured tobacco?

Do two negatives make a positive? Or does it double the chance of cancer?!
The air that we breathe and water we drink supposedly both give us cancer. Can't just keep avoiding things because they might give us cancer.
The Russians are a bunch of miserable *******s, the Japanese have all gone mental. That's what happens when you give up the things you love.
Nah I get lonely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending