The Student Room Group

Will commuting make me go crazy?

Hi guys,
I'm from London currently studying at Oxford Brookes. However, I'm not particularly enjoying the 'halls' experience and due to family issues at home, I've been back every other week since I've started.
I've noticed that the journey from Oxford to London (2 hours door-to-door) isn't as bad as it seems seeing as I have to travel 45 minutes to my lecture anyway.
I want to move out of my accomodation soon (Christmas if it all goes to plan)
I just wanted to know if anyone has been through the commute and if it has an detrimental factors.
Also forgot to mention that my course has few contact hours (8 hours a week - 3 days a week) so I think it can be doable - just wanted some advice.
Sorry the essay,
Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by SP1896
Hi guys,
I'm from London currently studying at Oxford Brookes. However, I'm not particularly enjoying the 'halls' experience and due to family issues at home, I've been back every other week since I've started.
I've noticed that the journey from Oxford to London (2 hours door-to-door) isn't as bad as it seems seeing as I have to travel 45 minutes to my lecture anyway.
I want to move out of my accomodation soon (Christmas if it all goes to plan)
I just wanted to know if anyone has been through the commute and if it has an detrimental factors.
Also forgot to mention that my course has few contact hours (8 hours a week - 3 days a week) so I think it can be doable - just wanted some advice.
Sorry the essay,
Thanks.

The title is a bit OTT.

I'm thinking the same as you. I don't enjoy halls because everyone is so ****ing fake. My uni is 1 hour away from London and my contact hours is 10 a week.

I would probably say go home every week for now
Reply 2
Original post by Uyi 95
The title is a bit OTT.

I'm thinking the same as you. I don't enjoy halls because everyone is so ****ing fake. My uni is 1 hour away from London and my contact hours is 10 a week.

I would probably say go home every week for now

Yeah, I've spoken to friends who think I'm mad and 'suicidal' if I think I can dedicate 4 hours of my day to travelling.
I'll probably go home every week. Ticket prices aren't that bad.
I'm currently travelling 4 hours a day for work and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's expensive and exhausting. It can be OK if you've got a good book to read or a show to watch, but definitely don't drive it and try to travel at off-peak times if you want to get a seat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by DarkMagic
I'm currently travelling 4 hours a day for work and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's expensive and exhausting. It can be OK if you've got a good book to read or a show to watch, but definitely don't drive it and try to travel at off-peak times if you want to get a seat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true it can be exhausting. However, if I do end up commuting, I'll have to use those two hours to study which I have done when I go home for the weekend. It would be much cheaper for me to travel than stay at halls however so I have worked it out.
that commute is easily doable, sure you will save ££££ too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending