The Student Room Group

Rude retail staff in expensive stores

I'm tired of it being treated like a peasant when I go into certain stores. Employees often assume that I am younger than I really am.

What annoys me is how they always assume that I am penniless because I'm a teenager. I've lost count the number of times I've went into luxury stores and got rude looks by employees who think I shouldn't be in there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rich but I certainly have enough to buy luxury items outright with cash e.g. IPhone 6S or Louis Vuitton shoes. (Anyone could if they saved up).

If the employees don't snub me, I often find that they ignore me or put someone else in front of me, basically making me wait ages before acknowledging me, then when they do they treat me like crap and put in the minimum effort.

It's not always expensive stores either, I'm actually just back from the Post Office and I was treated like crap in there as well. The guy basically couldn't get me out of there quicker, basically shoving the receipt at me and ignoring any questions that I had.

It's ironic that we (at this age) are told to act like mature adults but when we actually do act like this we get no respect whatsoever. There's really not much I can do at this point, I wish we had a bigger voice but as you know it would just fall on deaf ears. Teenagers are not pushovers, I wish some retail clerks would realise that!
(edited 8 years ago)
Go to Lidl where the items are cheap and the customer service is just about as quality as Jesus' tears. They'll put you in front of their pet dog without a second thought.
Reply 2
Stores such as Louis Vuitton will only give the time of day to the following types of people:

1. Middle aged persons and older types who look established
2. People who are dressed the part: yes, they can tell the difference between a coat from Primark and a Burberry. The former will stick out like a sore thumb. If it's 'really bad' they will actively try to usher the person out to make the customers with money feel more comfortable.

Yes everyone can save up for those products but they don't care. They are catering to people who can afford those products whenever they want: they are attempting to establish relations with such people to establish brand loyalty. This is what the employees are told to do.
Reply 3
I think it's disgusting that you said 'make customers with money comfortable', there is absolutely nothing wrong with Primark clothes. I don't even wear Primark anyway! I wear middle range clothes so you are actually judging me without knowing me!

This is what I am talking about right here.
Reply 4
Original post by Frostyjoe
This is what I am talking about right here.

He wasn't saying it's good, he was just explaining why they do it.

It happens to me as well. I think it's because I wear normal clothes and little-to-no makeup. I look too average to be well-off or interesting. Just don't go there, or jot down their names and submit a complaint online (if you really care - personally I don't).
Reply 5
I don't go, I walk out but it happens in places where I have to shop on a daily basis.
I have the opposite problem to be honest staff usually rush to my aid asking "if I need any help" I prefer being left to my own devices without being disturbed, but I guess that they're only doing their job. You should report rude staff.
Reply 7
Well sometimes staff do that to get you out.
You have to act the part. Just walk in and look like you own the place.
Reply 9
Reminded me of An Inspector Calls...
at Tesco the young ladies at the till always ask me "if i need help packing ".. i find this rather charming.
I've never had this problem personally, staff in all ranges of stores have always been very polite, helpful and pleasant to me ever since I started shopping on my own around the age of 13 (when I looked about 10, damn you short height and chubby cheeks! :tongue: ).

If you feel you're getting bad and rude service then make a note of their name and report them to their manager. At the end of the day what they want is sales and hearing from you that you don't intend to shop somewhere with rude staff can be enough to have a member of staff disciplined. However it's not always quite so simple in high fashion and designer stores as mentioned above, in those stores they want people who not only can afford to buy something there and then but they want people who can afford to keep coming back regularly. However I don't think this warrants rude behaviour.
Reply 12
I remember what happened to Oprah Winfrey in a designer bag shop in Zurich.

A Swiss lady told Oprah she couldn't afford a particular bag before she even looked at it because of her skin colour.

But you can be black and look established and wealthy.

So that Swiss lady was a racist nazi bitch.

Quick Reply

Latest