The Student Room Group

11th Nov: Who do you love?

Scroll to see replies

I used to be a "glass half-empty" person; I always focused on the negatives and I isolated myself from everyone else. I focused on my schoolwork and I had no social life whatsoever. I was cynical and depressed and to be honest, I hated myself.
I thought love was for stupid people. Even if it wasn't, what chance did I have? I didn't even know my sexuality.

Then a year ago, I met someone and she changed my mind. She stuck out from the crowd like a rose in a field of daisies. I'll never forget her eyes; they were like cups of hot chocolate. She was the whole package; intelligent, kind, artistic, with a fantastic sense of humour, and there were so many similarities between us. We listened to the same music, watched the same shows, had the same hobbies...
She was the most beautiful creature I'd ever seen, inside and out.

I know I'll never meet her again but even now, 365 days later, I can still picture her in my mind's eye. I've spent hours trawling through Google Images; no matter how hard I search, I can never find anyone as pretty as she was.

She's inspired me to keep going, to keep living and to never give up. So much has changed since I've met her. I'm happier, more determined, more outgoing; I've improved myself in ways you can't imagine. My appearance, my personality, my health, my outlook; she changed them all with a click of her fingers.
My world has never been so bright.

I'm constantly hoping that I'll see her again, even for a moment, so I can hold her in my arms and thank her. My greatest wish is to repay her and support her and love her, even if she only sees me as a friend. I'd do anything for her and, if she's reading this, she'll never know who I'm talking about.

So, to those of you who are sad and lonely, to those of you who don't believe in love... Never give up because life will notice; it'll send you your guardian angel.
Just as it did for me.
Original post by jamesthehustler
i have been in love a couple of times but never told them personally i once texted my first love but i think she loved me as after our first conversation on the bus she gave me her number and i left it a few weeks before pulling a simple trick i ask a mutual friend for her number (he was there the first time) and he gave the matching number so i trusted it but my latest love i haven't told her but i have conversations with her and we have a lot in common

If their plan is to read these aloud, you'd best hope Murray Walker happens to be recording in the adjacent booth.
I'm in love.

Spoiler

I am in love with my boyfriend, we've been together for three years now.
Unfortunately theres a downside as we are in a long distance relationship as he lives in Canada. He's flown over to see me three times now and we're so strong. I really love him so much :smile:

For anyone who's wondering how we met, we met online via kik messenger.. Its quite a funny story actually but Im glad we met even if it was through a messenger like Kik!
Reply 24
I have been but I never admitted it. He broke my heart but now I'm stronger!
the guy I love doesn't love me -he's a player
I've never been in love romantically, and I don't think I've ever even experienced proper family love before. My parents are divorced, my mum struggles with poor mental health so I've never had a proper relationship with her. Both of my parents are very religious but I am not, so I've never been able to be open or close with them.

I've definitely experienced infatuation - I'm 21 now, but in my whole life I've obsessed over two people. One was a stereotypical cringe high school teenage crush thing, and the other is currently ongoing, but not reciprocated.

I'm quite a reserved person, and don't normally get attached to people unless I feel they are worth the time, because I don't like opening up. The current situation is upsetting me because I'm pretty sure he's only interested in something casual, which I just can't deal with.... But in the unlikely chance he likes me back and things go well, I'm pretty sure he'll be the first person I'd fall in love with. Just being with him feels different to anyone else I've been with.

Sometimes I just wish I could press a button on my body that switched off all my feelings so I could focus on more important things in life like uni work
Original post by SeanFM
I love all of my relatives and that's about it.

Spoiler

That song is my jam - I tell ya

Spoiler

Original post by BBC Radio 1
This week on BBC Radio 1’s Surgery with Gemma and Dr Radha, we’re talking about LOVE!

Have you ever been in love? Or do you really want to fall in love but it hasn’t happened yet? Perhaps there’s a special person in your life that you want to say the L word to, but you don’t know how to? But we’re not just talking about relationships - we’re talking about all-important family love and platonic love, too!

If you’ve got any questions, comments or stories that you want to share with the show, please post them here! Remember: you can be anonymous, or if you want to be part of the show, let us know!

I don't mind being part of the show! :biggrin:

Yes, I have been in love. And I still am love. With all of my family and my friends (whether they're male or female) that are all aorund me. Of course I want to be in love, and most importantly, I want to be loved by someone who will care for me and by someone who will cherish the love that I hope to give them. I, personally, am not ready to be in a relatioship and because of that, I am unfortunately in love with my schoolwork :/ I think of it as my partner and it will be there until I find the other human who will love me as much as I would love them :smile: :smile:
I don't think I believe in true love or this whole idea of 'the one'. In my experience guys look at girls solely as sexual objects and only want them for one thing. My hope is that when I'm older I shall meet someone I can trust and who respects me.
Original post by Anonymous
I used to be a "glass half-empty" person; I always focused on the negatives and I isolated myself from everyone else. I focused on my schoolwork and I had no social life whatsoever. I was cynical and depressed and to be honest, I hated myself.
I thought love was for stupid people. Even if it wasn't, what chance did I have? I didn't even know my sexuality.

Then a year ago, I met someone and she changed my mind. She stuck out from the crowd like a rose in a field of daisies. I'll never forget her eyes; they were like cups of hot chocolate. She was the whole package; intelligent, kind, artistic, with a fantastic sense of humour, and there were so many similarities between us. We listened to the same music, watched the same shows, had the same hobbies...

I know I'll never meet her again but even now, 365 days later, I can still picture her in my mind's eye. I've spent hours trawling through Google Images; no matter how hard I search, I can never find anyone as pretty as she was.

She's inspired me to keep going, to keep living and to never give up. So much has changed since I've met her. I'm happier, more determined, more outgoing; I've improved myself in ways you can't imagine. My appearance, my personality, my health, my outlook; she changed them all with a click of her fingers.

I'm constantly hoping that I'll see her again, even for a moment, so I can hold her in my arms and thank her. My greatest wish is to repay her and support her and love her, even if she only sees me as a friend. I'd do anything for her and, if she's reading this, she'll never know who I'm talking about.

So, to those of you who are sad and lonely, to those of you who don't believe in love... Never give up because life will notice; it'll send you your guardian angel.
Just as it did for me.
Great story. It actually brought a tear to my eye. I'm so happy you found a guardian angel. Can I ask how it is that you lost her? I mean why do not know where she went to? Its ok if you feel uncomfortable and don't want to reply.
I love my family. I've never been in love with anyone romantically.
I've never been in love romantically, and I don't think I've ever even experienced proper family love before. My parents are divorced, my mum struggles with poor mental health so I've never had a proper relationship with her. Both of my parents are very religious but I am not, so I've never been able to be open or close with them.

I've definitely experienced infatuation - I'm 21 now, but in my whole life I've obsessed over two people. One was a stereotypical cringe high school teenage crush thing, and the other is currently ongoing, but not reciprocated.

I'm quite a reserved person, and don't normally get attached to people unless I feel they are worth the time, because I don't like opening up. The current situation is upsetting me because I'm pretty sure he's only interested in something casual, which I just can't deal with.... But in the unlikely chance he likes me back and things go well, I'm pretty sure he'll be the first person I'd fall in love with. Just being with him feels different to anyone else I've been with.

Sometimes I just wish I could press a button on my body that switched off all my feelings so I could focus on more important things in life like uni work

This is such a beautiful and inspiring story. :cry2: It made me teary eyed. I hope you meet her again, and I'm sorry to hear you lost her.

Just as it did for me.

That's a beautiful story! Do PM me if you'd ever like to talk. If not, that's fine and I wish you the very best of luck for the forseeable future xx :smile:
Original post by ravioliyears
That song is my jam - I tell ya

Spoiler

Original post by ravioliyears
That's a beautiful story! Do PM me if you'd ever like to talk. If not, that's fine and I wish you the very best of luck for the forseeable future xx :smile:

D'aww, PRSOM.
I used to be in love with someone in my school and then things happened and we don't even see each other anymore, not even on Facebook she doesn't want to add me back for some reason.

But I did realise one thing. My grades went down in school when I was with her, but after the year we split up, my grades went back up and I did very well in my GCSEs.
I still love my ex more than anything in the world but I chose to end it two months ago after three years together because he ****ed up big time. Even though he treated me awfully towards the end I would still have him back in a heartbeat because that's what love does, it blinds you. Unfortunately he says he's over me now, and it breaks me.

I'm lucky that I have my family and close friends though, I love them all endlessly too.
I think I might be in love right now. But I have no idea. It could just be intense infatuation.

I met her two years ago through a mutual primary school friend. The school friend thought we might get along, and I am so happy she decided to introduce us. As you can imagine, some feelings started to develop. At first, I didn't think much of what I felt for her - I had been infatuated before and I knew what it felt like. But after about a year with the same feelings continuing to crop up even when we just had idle chitchat, I began to realise that what I felt for her was far stronger and far longer-lasting than anything I had ever experienced before. Now it's been two years, and the feelings are still there.

But of course, like the classic sad love story, the feelings are not returned. I've confessed to her, but we're just friends and confidants for each other, luckily very close. That's okay, though. She simply doesn't see me in "that" way; it's nobody's fault, and she definitely doesn't "owe" me anything. It's better that I'm able to help her and make her as happy as I can from a distance than to not be able to do anything. Her happiness and well-being is my top priority.

I'm going to be realistic here, for anyone who might be going through the same thing as I am. Yes, she has been together with other guys throughout the two years, and yes, although I try not to let the heartbreak get to me, it is very difficult to continue to be positive when I see other lovey-dovey couples being able to express their feelings to one another and for those feelings to be reciprocated. And all these happy love songs preaching about how love is great and you'll find the one make it even more difficult to stay positive. But some things simply don't happen. It sucks, but just remember that there are others who feel the same way that you do - you're not alone.

There are some more complications to the story to do with poor mental health on both sides, but I won't get into them now.

Take it from me: love hurts. Love hurts a lot. It is most definitely not for the faint-hearted. But if you can't express love to someone in the way that you wish you could, it's better to help them from a distance. Make sure they are happy, and maybe you'll be happier too.
Yes. It is one of the best feelings, and scariest feelings all in one. I don't like how I feel when in love. :/
I fell very deeply in (platonic) love with someone at uni and even to this day, six years on, I still choose to believe it was at least somewhat reciprocated. It was an intense and bewildering experience, not least because it ended up becoming (for lack of a better term) an abusive relationship with someone who really SHOULD have known better (they were older and supposedly wiser) :frown:

Despite everything though, I wouldn't go back and erase at experience from my life because it taught me many valuable lessons. Plus it's character building, blah blah. Even though it made me realise I'm not cut out for intense emotional experiences/relationships and thus I fully intend on remaining single from here onwards, I think learning to love someone properly - and even more than that, allowing someone to love ME - is an important life experience :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending