The Student Room Group

Do you think it is intrusive for a sibling's boyf to go on at you for being jobless?

My sister's boyfriend always drones on about me not having a job. Even though it is a really big problem I don't see why it is anything to do with him tbh. He also thinks because I don't have a job it gives him a right to be rude to me.

Scroll to see replies

Why don't you talk to him about it and say that you're looking for a job and don't appreciate him being rude about it?
Maybe he's upset because (you may or may not be) around the house all day and they want their space?

Or you're doing something wrong with respect to being jobless that impacts him.

Or he's just in the wrong.
Reply 3
I'd tell him this, "urm ... I believe this is my family's house ... not yours?"
it would be a fair criticism if you're on the benefits which his own taxes pay for.
It's nothing to do with him.
Reply 6
RKO him out of the window
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
Maybe he's upset because (you may or may not be) around the house all day and they want their space?

Or you're doing something wrong with respect to being jobless that impacts him.

Or he's just in the wrong.

no he doesn't live here it is when he comes round
Reply 8
Original post by sleepysnooze
it would be a fair criticism if you're on the benefits which his own taxes pay for.

no I don't claim benefits it's because he doesn't like me living off my parents
Original post by Anonymous
no he doesn't live here it is when he comes round

Still he may be upset that maybe you're in the living room when they want to watch TV or something like that and wants you out, but yeah it seems like he's the one with issues and not you.
It's his problem, tell him to piss off if he's rude to you in your own house.
Some people are self-righteous as ****. They don't know what some people deal with privately, and they are just obedient to authority. They lack the imagination to see how anyone could have had problems, stuff could be unfair, and they are secretly bitter about the treadmill they are on. So they moralise.
Original post by georgiaswift
Why don't you talk to him about it and say that you're looking for a job and don't appreciate him being rude about it?

Compassionate again. Umm, I like your posts. Hope you don't mind me saying.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Compassionate again. Umm, I like your posts. Hope you don't mind me saying.

Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 14
Yeah, I agree with what's been said already, it really is not his place to tell his partner's sibling what to do with their life, I personally would really not appreciate someone who isn't part of my family telling me what to do like that.
Depends on how serious they are. If they're getting married soon then he will be your family so it'll become his business. Especially if you ask your sister for money frequently and it's impacting their finances. A casual boyfriend then no. But he could be doing it to try and motivate you and "for your own good" - remember not everyone expresses their good intentions eloquently
Some people are self-righteous as ****. They don't know what some people deal with privately, and they are just obedient to authority. They lack the imagination to see how anyone could have had problems, stuff could be unfair, and they are secretly bitter about the treadmill they are on. So they moralise.

I agree!
Reply 17
My sister's boyfriend always drones on about me not having a job. Even though it is a really big problem I don't see why it is anything to do with him tbh. He also thinks because I don't have a job it gives him a right to be rude to me.

It's none of his business he isn't really family until he inpregnates your sister or marries her and even then it's not his business. If he wants to comment he should help you out not put you down.
I think the REAL question here is: Why AREN'T you looking for a job?

I personally can see where he's coming from. I think when I'm around unambitious people who laze around the house all day, not doing anything with their life and living off their parent(s), then that because annoying and off-putting. I wouldn't want to be around someone who has a lack of enthusiasm for work, ambition and pride.

For me personally, if I was dating someone, and their sibiling just cgaf about life and jobs, then that would be such a total embarrassment to know your dating someone who has a sibling that is a bum.

You're probably just killing his vibe aaand probably the fact they you're always home and they need space could have something to do with it.
I think he sounds like an absolute prat. I'd be happy to have my GF, I wouldn't be overstepping the mark and insulting her family members. MYOB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending